“a little bit of heaven on earth!”

Lido Palms Resort and Spa
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
boston, ma
“a little bit of heaven on earth!”
Reviewed 16 August 2008

What can I say about Lido Palms? Mostly that I wish I were still there, or at least that I lived closer so I could go back sooner. I chose Lido as home base for my CA desert road trip after reading through TripAdvisor reviews, and I could not have been happier! Lido is small (11 rooms), laid back, and friendly, and the main feature -- the waters -- are heavenly! The largest pool is about 90 degrees, and I spent most of my time at Lido floating on my back in it. There are also two hot tubs ... one outdoors and one indoors ... that are roomy and very relaxing. The mineral water itself if fantastic ... it softened my skin and brought great relief to my many aches and pains in the four short days I was there. As a plus, Desert Hot Springs taps flow with this same fabulous mineral water (which is apparently award-winning), so you have no excuse not to keep hydrated while lounging poolside!

Lido is within a 5-10 minute drive from restaurants, supermarkets, etc. in Desert Hot Springs and only about 15-20 minutes from all the shops, sites, and activities in Palm Springs. (I recommend the Aerial Tramway ... stunning views!) It's also only 40 minutes to Joshua Tree National Park, which is not to be missed. On the other hand, maybe you just want to hang out in or near the pools all day ... it was a tough decision for me each morning!

In-room massage is available at Lido ... ask in the office. I had deep tissue, and it was great. Martin, Lido's manager, is very friendly and helpful, by the way. He freely offered to let me stay past check-out on my final day, since they didn't need my room that night. Needless to say, I took him up on that without being asked twice.

My only regret about Lido is that I didn't stay longer. I tried to cancel the last leg of my trip -- 2 days in LA --- to extend my Lido retreat, but the other hotel wouldn't let me off without paying. Alas. My advice is go to Lido Palms, and stay as long as you can. (I'm hoping to return with my mother next year, since I think the waters will help her arthritis.)

• Liked — relaxing mineral pools, small & quiet, friendly, great value
  • Disliked — that it's too far from home to visit more often!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank spagrrl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
CA
Reviewed 5 August 2008

I used to wonder why in the world people would go to the desert in the summer time...it's so blazing hot, how could that be relaxing and fun? Well, I was a skeptic but am now a believer. I was burned out and needed to get away for a couple days with my wife. Lido Palms was just the ticket. It's a very unassuming place when you drive up but once you enter into the gated property, you are instantly transported to a wonderful and relaxing little world unto its own. Surrounded by palm trees, the center attraction are the pool and hot tub (90 degress and 105 degress, respectively). Our room was very clean and very comfortable...there was a nice big kitchen in a separate room and the a.c. kept the place as frigid as we liked. But we really didn't spend much time in the room as the pools are open 24 hours. We spent most of our time between the regular pool, the hot tub, and laying out in the shade of the palm trees. We didn't take advantage of the various spa services they have to offer, but we may do that next time to add to the relaxing visit. There are many stores and fast food restaurants within a couple miles and of course, Palm Springs is just 15 minutes or so. We will be going back again soon and would highly recommend Lido Palms.

• Liked — Very relaxing getaway
  • Disliked — Can't think of one.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn
Reviewed 19 May 2008

Spectacular small hotel in a charming atmosphere. Rooms are superior to most business class hotels.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 March 2008

We had a really pleasant experience. The room was really clean and comfortable with a full kitchen. But the reason why we came here is for the pools. The three pools (one indoor) were so relaxing and the special mineral water was silky smooth. I think I spent about 10 hours in the water on one day. This is definitely a place to truly unwind and kickback. The staff, particularly Martin the manager, was extremely welcoming and will tend to your many needs from scheduling a massage to pointing you in the direction of great restaurants. I truly needed to relax and this was the place to do it.

• Liked — The pools and the unpretentious atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ZooStationManager
Los Angeles
Reviewed 22 March 2008

For our spring break from law school, my fiance and I wanted to be able to sit by a pool all day and night and take a break from thinking. After researching Las Vegas we realized the prices were beyond our budget ($200+/night) and that we would most likely have to fight for poolside chairs, deal with expensive drinks, and listen to other people's children. (Note: we actually love kids! We just really wanted to get away!)
We then researched Desert Hot Springs and found Lido Palms. We booked a two-night stay based on advertising describing inexpensive clean rooms and very reasonable massage/spa treatment rates. The experience absolutely exceeded our expectations.
Lido Palms is not your typical location for spring breakers. Instead of crowded pools and patios, Lido Palms immediately felt like it belonged to us. Our room was spacious with a fully loaded retro-looking kitchen that had everything we needed--including a bottle opener. The pools were amazing. The silky water and all the flotation devices at our disposal (available without having to pay a rental fee) made us feel like kids again (well...at least no longer in our 20's) as we waded for hours while sipping our drinks and eating the fresh fruit we brought from home.
When we did leave the Lido Palms, we were able to drive about 5 minutes to Palm Springs to experience a more "spring-break" environment and grab a good meal at a trendy restaurant. It was good to know that if we needed a little excitement, we could just drive over to Palm Springs but in the end, it wasn't necessary.
Last, the service was amazing. Because Lido Palms is quite small (11 rooms), you really feel like the place is all yours and also the staff is there for you only. Martin, the Manager, went above and beyond for us, whether it was to find the best massage therapist for me, guide us to the best restaurants, or to simply give us a tour of the place. Jill, the Owner, is incredibly friendly and her dog, Lucy, is so sweet. Also, Rosa was always willing to see if you needed anything.
If it was possible, we would have stayed in the pools all day and night relaxing, soaking up the minerals, and watching as the local roadrunners came to be fed. We will definitely be back to the Lido Palms. Personally, I would suggest visiting for any young couples looking to get away or for a group of friends looking for a chill, relaxed place to lay by the pool and barbecue all day and night. Lido Palms is exactly what you need to feel as if you are away from it all.

• Liked — Fantastic service from friendly, welcoming staff
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kb1980
Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2008

Our third winter (December to March) at the Lido was terrific as always. A peaceful place with hot mineral pools just outside the door. Reasonably close to restaurants, theatres and shopping - if you have a car. Excellent birdwatching in the area. First class help with in-room wireless internet access. Jill, Martin and Rosa treated us well. We'll be back next winter!

Stayed December 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 29 February 2008

I'm a newcomer to the desert. With that being said, there are lots of choices on where to stay. I researched, called(more than once), and e-mailed my choices. I then made a decision that I would not regret.

The Lido Palms has a very quiet and relaxing atmosphere. The rooms are spacious, very clean and they even have a full kitchen. All equipped with dishes, silverware, pots, pans....everything you could want. There were no phones in the room, but there's a courtesy phone in the lobby for local calls. Also in the lobby is internet access, or if you have a laptop, they have wireless. There are so many books to read. Some autographed by very loyal guests.

The pools are great! There are 3 different ones to choose from. The main pool is about 90 degrees, the outdoor jacuzzi is about 104 degrees and the indoor pool is about 100 degrees. By the way, I had a watsu with Tal in the indoor pool, it was heaven.

If you'd like to go somewhere quiet and relaxing, this is the place. The owner and her staff will make you feel right at home.

Good value for what you get there. No gimmicks!

• Liked — The pools, staff, room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple