“So many things to love about El Morocco Inn”

El Morocco Inn & Day Spa
Reviewed 23 July 2011

El Morocco Inn is everything you'd want in a romantic getaway. Its small, hidden away, and it makes you feel like your a million miles from home. The attention to detail is amazing from the soft and comfy sheets to the fantastic breakfast and happy hour. The host and owner is what makes this place so fantastic. He is so welcoming and knowledgeable about the area and things to do (if you ever want to leave the beautiful grounds).

Thank you Bruce and John, we will return soon.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Overall this was an interesting property with a ton of charm and character... the proprietor did a great job of tying in the whole Moroccan theme (he has traveled there extensively and much of the furniture is imported from Morocco). The 'Moroccotini' daily happy hour reception was nice, the rooms are great... The spa and pool are AMAZING! Natural, hot-spring waters... Wow.

However, the property is oddly out-of-place with the surroundings... it's kind of situated in a mediocre-at-best residential neighborhood... it felt weird. Not really a big deal, because once you are in it feels like a different world, but still... Also, aside from a mexican food place, there are really NO convenient dining options... we found ourselves driving 20-30 minutes for a decent meal.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kpkinz
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I have not yet done a review of our stay here as we just do not have the glowing reviews that everyone else has posted. We stayed the weekend last year. As posted Bruce and the others could not of been nicer or more helpful if asked for anything. First off the room had an overpowering scent which I could not tolerate with my allergies. This was taken care of as well as possible when I asked. The room is small and for us the veils over the bed were in the way, so we put them over head. The bed, we found to be Very uncomfortable, to the point we both had backaches. The darkness of the room we also did not care for. The pool and spa were fine, though the spa area needed some cleaning and upkeep, not so much the water but the surrounding veils and concrete needed some good cleaning. I did have a massage, it was average, but paid top dollar for it. As for the location of the Inn, it is quiet and the people very helpful. Our dinners in town were only so so. Would not go back to either restaurant suggested. Over all we would probably not return to El Morocco, so sorry I just cannot give the excellent reviews as so many others post.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NRosenbaum
Reviewed 6 May 2011

A super relaxing getaway. Great for couples. No frenetic crowds, just a dozen rooms. No screaming children. No swarmy bar scene, they don't have one. Just cozy rooms in playful Berber decor. The staff is freindly without being over attentive. Very magical after dark. The natural hot spring water used in the pool and spa is wonderful, no sulfur smell. Other than their lovely complimentary snacks, the food scene is a little bleak in Desert Hot Springs, so be prepared to eat in Palm Springs. Love it!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thbh
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I arrived with my wife and for a special treat ordered the cheese platter and a bottle of champagne. Wow out of this world too much food! So the place is super cool and you wont ever feel over crowded. Staff is great just ask for what you need and the will help you out.
We will go back and stayed in room 202 just go for it and relax. Pool in 90 degrees and the hot tub is huge ! snacks great breakfast, guess the rest is how much fun you make for your self ! thanks again El Morocco !! wouldn't you like a special weekend go here and make it happen.

Kent and Mary

Room Tip: Ask the staff about resteraunts,
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2011

The El Morocco Inn is not to be missed. If you are planning on being on the Palm Springs area, THIS is the place to stay. Gorgeous rooms; awesome pool and hot tub; incredible staff; fun happy hour; amazing grounds. And romance that does not end. We had a couples massage that set the tone of a great 3 night stay. We just might take a trip to the area just so we can come back for no other reason. It really is just that good! Here' looking at you. kid!
(Oh ya - drive the 20 minutes to Palm Springs for dinner. Desert Hot Springs does not have much to offer on the nice side at all.)

Room Tip: First floor. pool side is worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2011

The reviews regarding the Inn were so extraordinary, my husband and I couldn't have happier to book a room (the total came to approximately $550.)

When I am let down by somewhere I stay, I don't harp on the price. I figure it's a gamble...you win some you lose some. But, after leaving, I felt crummy about spending so much on so little.

I MUST agree with the reviewer who mentioned the area is severely depressing. The location seems desolate...even for the desert. Not located in a savory neighborhood (I felt unsafe grabbing something I'd left in the car parked out front.) The town has NO quaint charm...it's a decrepid area that features several 7-11's and wizend motels. The Inn recommends several eateries. We tried the mexican food restaurant and it was rough. Decor cheap and cheesy (run down booths 70's style.) I always feel salsa is a great indicator of the food...the salsa was watery and had a nasty bite...and I love spicy food. The food was poor quality and I felt kinda grimy eating there. Because the Inn doesn't have food (knew this beforehand), unless you bring decent food with you from home or go supermarket shopping (not my dream on a getaway ) than get ready to order a pizza ....seriously...the best option out there.

Upon entering the El M. You are greeted warmly and given a tour of the place. The staff sport cargo khakis and white shirts...this uniform only added to the cheesiness of the rest of the place. I knew it was theme oriented, but to have Casablanca playing on an old big screen TV on a loop is annoying and depressing....no charm....very Twilight Zone. Everything is done by the rules. Awesome...good to know the place is safe. But this place is for 21+ adults...mostly couples...looking to chill out. They give you the impression that's what they want for you to feel, but it's not chill when glaring signs mark the walls in the pool area about health and safety (one would be adequate. ) They have a garden area that they shut down at night because the electrical is busted. Shame....as this has some organic feel to it and also allows more privacy and space. I'm not saying I don't like to be social, but when my partner and I go away for an escape, we want to feel relaxed. It's not the other guests fault...just my preference not to be on top of one another and have a happy hour (theme martinis...all juice and a pinch of sake...). Bruce us a nice guy, but way to effusive, loud and into your space. During Happy Hour...I went once...don't make the same mistake....Bruce tells the same stories if his travels and the decor of the Inn. Again, very Twilight Zone...every day is repeated in form...feels very false.

They have spent a fortune on uber high threadcount sheets, but the showers are dingy, old, claustrophobic and not appealing. The air conditioner in our room was SO loud that shutting it off was the only way to converse or feel at ease. We were lucky it wasn't boiling out...would have been a mute weekend.

Two pools...main courtyard pool with warm water and a fine place to get sun. The curtained thermal water area...breezy, relaxing and lush (immersed in mineral water/springs is amazing.) This area is rather large and 3 ft deep total...but guests get very possessive over it. It felt uncomfortable to go in when another couple was there and looking gutted that u have arrived. Look, I get it ...privacy, right? But this was downright awkward.

Breakfast was good....Starbucks grinds in frenc presses all day and night. Fresh array...could be healthy or naughty in diet.

Room : dark and cavernous. Liked it in a caccoon way...might not be fab for lovers of light. We were on the ground floor facing the pool. As mentioned, air co unit was painful. The furniture has seen better days ...there is a difference between antique and charming and scratched and in need of repair. Net curtains surrounding bed were discolored and torn in areas. And ...though we knew it was theme like...we didn't realize tacky paintings and faux walls made out of scalloped plywood were part of it. It felt very Vegas and trying not to be...I was depressed!

Sorry guys, but the El Morocco is not up to the price or quality it should be. When we drove away and arrived home, we felt. Calm again....not what should happen after a weekend away.

There are so many lovely places in Palm Springs etc...there is no need to come to the run down boonies and pay 250 p/n. I
felt like I was on a tacky Disneyland trip.

• Stayed: March 2011
5  Thank FlipHeadsorTails
Also consider these accommodations in or near Desert Hot Springs
Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
#8 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Water Spa
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Wate...
#7 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
#10 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
Andreas Hotel & Spa
Andreas Hotel & Spa
#9 of 74 in Palm Springs

Been to El Morocco Inn & Day Spa? Share your experiences!