“Be aware: Hotel Cancellation Policy....”

El Morocco Inn & Day Spa
Reviewed 14 October 2011

First, I fell pretty bad to cancel the reservation. Both my husband and I was very looking forward to stay in this hotel. We heard a lot of good things about this hotel. My reservation was for both Friday and Saturday. Unfortunately, I got sick and my doctor wanted me to go back for 2nd check up on Saturday before he leaves for vacation for 2 months. I read the confirmation letter from the hotel. And on the 4th paragraph of the confirmation, it reads” …. If you CHANGE OR CANCEL your reservation WITHIN the last 7 days of your reserved arrival dates, your first night’s deposit of room and tax will be charged to your credit card”. So I thought, if I cancel the reservation, I will be charged for one (1) night deposit or room and tax. And I think it is reasonable. Then I called the hotel on Friday, and they told me that I will be charged for both (2) nights- Friday and Saturday. I told them that’s not what the cancellation policy states. Then I was informed that if I cancel or change the reservation within 7 days, the entire stay will be charged- and that IS the hotel policy. I kept trying to communicate with the Inn keeper and eventually the owner talked to me on the phone. I apologized again that I have to cancel my reservation. The owner was, polite, but not very friendly- my own feeling. He told me it is hotel’s policy that to charge the entire stay but he is just going to wave the rule for me- he said he would send me the cancellation confirmation and nothing will be charged. I told him that I understand there is a penalty that I have to pay and I am willing to do it- but just the first (one) night. I reiterate that was what was stated in the cancellation policy. He then stated that I can interpret whatever I want from the confirmation/cancellation section, but the hotel policy is to charge the entire stay. But in this case, since I am going back to the hospital then he is not going to charge me anything. I even offer that I do not need the refund and we can just keep the credit so we will come back to stay in the hotel later. He does not appreciate it at all. I feel awful. I do not want to take advantage of other people but I also do not want to pay anything additional if not necessary. At one point I did suggest them perhaps they want to change the wording on the cancellation section so it is clear to the customers but my comments were not appreciated.

So just be aware, I think it is a nice hotel, you will have a nice stay there- as long as you are not changing or cancelling your reservation- and remember, your entire stay will be charged (unless you are fighting for it)!! I feel very bad and intimidated- and I know I will not be welcome to this hotel anymore.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Cookie K

Reviewed 13 October 2011

Very seldom does a hotel, let alone a bed And breakfast, attend to details as well as El Morocco. The bed was comfortable, the mineral water pool and soaking pool were splendid, The breakfast offered a wide selection of carbs, protein, fruit And French Press Coffee. Bruce (owner) has successfully imprinted everything with Moroccan theme, all tastefully done. There is even an infrared sauna and yurt for exercising. It was a pleasure to do some Yoga, soak in The Pool then partake in their complementary happy Hour. We Plan to return!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Ronnjonna
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Our first day was Great! We were pleasantly surprised. What a cozy, tranquil atmosphere! The room was very nice and very Moroccan...we were pleased! The pool and spa with the mineral water were just what the doctor ordered. The staff... Bruce, Kim, Jaclyn and Florence were very attentive and kind...however, it seems like the atmosphere changed on our last day. Bruce (the owner) was no where to be found, and Florence (the manager) who was in charge and definitely let us know it, was not only rude, but very pushy and un-kind. Unfortunately, the first days were oblitereated when we encountered such bad service on our last day. Will we stay there again? Probably not...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Crystal19702011
Reviewed 16 August 2011

This was our second trip to this wonderful Oasis. We were back after a few years and it was even better than the first time. Bruce is the best host anywhere and a joy to be around.
Our room was perfect....the attention to detail in this place is stunning. You relax instantly and don't want to leave.
I manage a boutique hotel so I generally don't enjoy staying in hotels because it feels too much like work. This is different. If I lived closer I would try to get to the El Morocco at least once a month.
The rooms were all booked when I was there which didn't surprise me even though it is August and supposedly off season in the desert.
The time went by much too fast. I'll be back again and again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chargar2001
Reviewed 13 August 2011

What a charming and beautiful place.. Only 2 and half hours away from L.A and we enter a into an Oasis of calm, peace and beauty..
We feel like we traveled to Morocco with the fantastic decoration and details, as a frequent traveler and being in Morocco many times, I was amazed by the amount of objects imported from Morocco..
Everything is done and thought to make this stay a dream..
I love the 2 Mineral pools, the spa and the fire pit....
Thanks also to the team who makes sure that we have everything we need to be comfortable and cozy...
This place is a real treat, I will definitely come back....
Thank you...
Beatrice

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beatricelbf
Reviewed 10 August 2011

This will actually have been the second time we've stayed at this inn. The first being in March of 2011 and we could not wait to go back.

While the inn itself looks like it's in a none too friendly neighborhood, as soon as you get behind the front door you immediately transfer into a beautiful place of tranquility. The rooms are well kept and tasteful, with touches of Morocco everywhere. The pool is amazing, I could have stayed in it all night, and the hot tub is hard to beat.

The staff are friendly, the moroccotini's while not very strong (probably just a small amount of saki and juice) are very tasty and the happy hour definitely allows one to get to know their hotel mates. Owners are funny, and knowledgeable about both Morocco and the surrounding areas.

They also have this amazing ice tea and lemonade concoction they call their Humphrey Bogarts. It's so delicious that I've spent many times trying to copy the recipe to no avail. Breakfast is an assortment of bagels, pastries, fruit, granola and fresh tomatoes, onions and avocado. Nothing too heavy, but definitely a perfect breakfast to enjoy by the pool on a hot desert day.

This place truly is amazing and I'm already planning for my next trip back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2011

The El Morocco Inn was the first stop on our 2-week road trip (CA + Sedona), and it was by far our FAVORITE hotel -- not just for this trip, but for all our stateside travels. This place is a true haven; somewhere you go to get away from it all. Desert Hot Springs is NOT Palm Springs. You go to DHS to unwind and reinvigorate -- and enjoy the rejuvenating mineral pools. If you want more action, plan to go to PS. We didn't want that at all. El Morocco is so heavenly that we never left during our stay.

DECOR & ROOM
Simply stunning -- throughout the Inn and in the bedrooms as well. We stayed in the Berber's Boudoir, which was beautiful, terribly romantic and well-appointed with a separate living room. Our bed had netting and luxurious bedding. They aren't kidding when they describe their beds as "dreamy." Others mentioned the loud AC. I guess it was on the loud side, but didn't seem any louder than the AC at the other hotels we stayed at. I'm a really light sleeper and was able to sleep at El Morocco without the earplugs that I usually wear at home in L.A.

GROUNDS & POOLS
Again, stunning. There are lounge chairs all around, where you can take a drink, have food or a smoke -- 24 hours a day. The pools (hot & "cold") are amazing and truly rejuvenating. It was about 106 when we were there, but after one dip in the "cold" pool, you hardly feel the heat.

AMENITIES
One of the best things about El Morocco are the 24-hour amenities. French presses + coffee, figs, dates, dried apricots, fruits, drinking water and DELICIOUS mint tea lemonade are complimentary and available round the clock. DVDs and snacks are also available. We needed little else.The complimentary Moroccotinis are scrumptious. I've traveled a lot and have never stayed at a hotel with such thoughtful amenities. (Btw, there's a deli that delivers. Their sandwiches are cheap and delicious!)

STAFF
Everyone was so warm, welcoming and helpful, especially Kim and Bruce. Even though it was our first time there, they made us feel like regulars. We definitely plan to make El Morocco a place we visit every year -- if not multiple times a year.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple