“Great Place!”

El Morocco Inn & Day Spa
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Great Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Had a great weekend. Visited during the low season, which was hot, but quiet. Great place to relax.

Great outdoor lawn games area with giant chess, croquet and petanque. Pretty good layout for continental breakfast and all day french press coffee!
Staff was very nice. We booked a spa session--Moroccan clay body wrap and an hour massage. Spa staff very good. We highly recommend the El Morocco Inn and we will be returning!

Room Tip: Stayed in Marrakesh Express. Small, intimate room. Good prices during the low season.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Glendale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

I wanted to go to Desert Hot Springs for my birthday. Everything seemed to be booked - turns out there is a big festival most of the weekends in April. There was one room left at El Morocco, and it sounded interesting.

I really liked the Inn. I like the adult only atmosphere, though some of the guests were a little TMI. We had a room on the second floor at the end. Ok, the decor may be considered a bit cheesy by some, but I thought it was great. I mean, we are there to relax! The pools are really comfortable, and there is plenty of space for everyone. The breakfast and snacks are nice, a little different which makes it more fun.

There had been sand storms recently, and they had not been able to get all the sand off the windowsills in the bathroom. This doesn't bother me, but it might bother some people. The building is old, and does not seal up really well. The a/c unit was a good example of this, it had lost the venting seal, so we were losing alot of cold air back out the wall. We let them know and they got a temporary fix for it. The a/c unit was quite loud and did not work exceptionally well.

There are limited restaurants near by. We drove in to Palm Springs for dinners. I had forgotten that they have a shared kitchen. There were 3 couples who come to Morocco Inn annually together. They bring food and drinks and don't leave the Inn all weekend. This could be a really good plan.

The caretakers do leave in the evening. The first night there were some guests who were quite loud at the pool (probably after the music festival) until very late. I don't know what we could have done about that, so sleep was not good.

I would definitely give El Morocco another visit.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
InnCollectors, Owner at El Morocco Inn & Day Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Hi P-twink,
Thank-you-everyone-who takes the time to write a review-and Ptwink, I'm glad you liked the inn and your stay! Sorry about those desert winds...they do leave traces of sand behind sometimes and we do our best to stay on top of them so I'm sorry we missed your bathroom windowsill. We've just replace some of the a/c's so this should help too! By the way, we actually do have someone who is on site all of the time. Our night caretaker is available by calling the number in your room-and it's also posted at the little Moroccan phone booth located in the lobby so you can call if you lock yourselves out or if someone is being too noisy and we'll be more than happy to take care of that. Hope you'll return again soon!
Temecula
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

El Morocco is true magic! I can't remember a time when my husband and I have completely vegged while away from home. And that is what we did at the El Morocco. We truly felt like we were in a desert oasis compound, completely removed from the world.

LOCATION: Yes, your GPS is correct, keep driving! El Morocco is located several miles "out there", and truthfully, in what appears, not the greatest of neighborhoods. But once you arrive at the El Morocco...ahhh heaven. (My husband was a complete Doubting Thomas on the way there, but quickly converted once we arrived and he has become a walking advertisement for the El Morocco - you will hear similar stories during your stay here)

ROOMS: We stayed in Room 203, Sultans Playpen. As all of the other reviews mention, this room is not overly large, but so comfy, and it has everything you need to relax and enjoy. You enter into a small living area, with couch, small bistro table, mini bar (with microwave and refrigerator) and tv. Bathroom has sink, toilet and shower stall. The bedroom is exactly that...a bed in a room....did I mention a round bed encased in sheers and beads? And a comfy bed at that! Honestly what more do you need? My husband and I looked into the other rooms when possible and spoke with other guests about their rooms. Frankly, I don't think there is a bad one. Each offers something unique. Room 203 is upstairs so I felt it offered a little more seclusion from the pool area. Our room had a bistro table and chairs inside as well as chairs and a table right outside our room.

POOL Ah!!! Even in 115 degree weather, the pool was refreshing...and believe me, we spent a great deal there. Best time to swim...MIDNIGHT. So completely awesome. Flower petals in the pool from a neighboring bush, piped in morning mediation music and then what I assume is Moroccan music for later in the day...you are completely surrounded in an exotic feel of comfort and relaxation.

HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH FOR PARENTS: We have three children, and we deeply love them however we truly enjoyed ourselves without them! I've never realized how much noise a child, toddler or teenager, can create around a pool. Hushed voices and floating music is all that you will hear at this pool

HAPPY HOUR. Unwind after unwinding all day. We sipped moroccintis with other guests while discussing our day's activities and dinner plans. The morccinitis are true ecstasy.

BREAKFAST AND SNACKS - It was like the food magically appeared. Their idea of "continental breakfast" is true tummy contentment. Bagels with cream cheese, tomato, onion and avocado - so yummy. Yogurt with granola, fruit and hard boiled eggs, and best of all French-pressed coffee!!!!! Figs, apricots, spring water and lemonade infused with mint tea were always available for casual snacking! The late night cream sherry was a special treat as well!

AMENITIES (massage, bocce ball, dvds, Casablanca): We didn't partake of the massages for our first visit, but the guests who did, had only the highest recommendation, making us wish we had made a reservation. There is also a wonder land of enjoyment in the back yard with bocce ball, crochet, chess (2 feet chess pieces), not to mention a desert tent complete with yoga mats, Pilate balls and an exercise bike. It almost (I said almost) made me want to exercise. Instead we perused their DVD collection and watched Casablanca for the first time! So perfect for our time here

EATS: We did venture out into the town and enjoyed one dinner at South of the Board, great Mexican food, really strong drinks and great prices. The take-out Chinese food at Kam Lun was hot and plentiful (we ate leftovers for lunch). Enjoyed at great dinner at Spencer’s in Palm Springs (about 20 minutes away). Again, plentiful portions and the prix fixe 3 course meal was a great deal!

SOCIAL SOLITUDE In my opinion one of the greatest offerings at El Morocco would be the choice between solitude or being social. The inn with it's the personal touch of a bed and breakfast provides plenty of opportunity to meet fellow guests. We met several wonderful couples, swapping stories and laughs while relaxing by the pool or during happy hour, but then had our own individual time as a couple, with a feeling of complete isolation from the rest of the world.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: On a scale of 1 star to 5 stars, El Morocco is a 10 star! You can have the most beautiful setting but without customer service it will fall flat. El Morocco makes you feel completely resort pampered but with the comforts of home. Every request is met with a smile and "of course". The inn keepers we met had many recommendations for activities and dining. We took some of the dining recommendations and vegged the rest of time...lol

RECOMMENATION: DEFINITE!!! WITHOUT A DOUBT! WE WILL BE RETURNING!!!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. We stayed upstairs which is a bit away from the pool - but t...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GobClan
Hi GobClan,
Wow! Thanks so much for your this kind review! We use all of these reviews to continue to provide the very best getaway for each and everyone of our guests and when we get it right, we pass these words of encouragement along to all of the staff (OK, so we're pretty small-but we try our hardest!) so again, thank-you for all of your positive encouragement! You have our word, we'll continue to do our very best!
Palo Alto, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

We went for the day spa and each got The Moroccan Mystical Ritual. It was relaxing and the massage was quite good, however for the price point we were expecting more. The hotel is very charming (even though the surrounding town is not so nice), the mineral pool and jacuzzi were nice and the manager/owner was kind and offered us use of a hotel room for the day. All in all, a pleasant experience in itself, however they should not charge the price of a higher end spa when they really are a much more modest establishment, with modest amenities.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Zida75
Hi Zida75,
Thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback about your visit! Glad you loved your treatment, but we agree that we are a modest little inn (with just 12 rooms and Spa Studios). Since we really can't compete with the big box spas as far as size and scale, we tend to make up for it by offering the best in actual Spa treatments. Still, we've taken your note to heart! We've reduced our room rates for the summertime...so come and stay overnkight with us and see if you don't find us quite the bargain!
Auburn ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

We have stayed at El Morocco Inn and Spa several times over the past few years. Each and every time has been a wonderful experience with everything just perfect: Atmosphere, rooms, pool , spa, etc. The inn has a first rate staff led by Bruce, a guy who insures everyone has a great visit. We just couldn't ask for a better get-away and are looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dan G
Hi Dan & T!
How fun to see you've posted a little note to us here on TripAdvisor! We really enjoy having you come and stay-and are genuinely glad you've found it to be a relaxing, rejuvenating experience each time you return. We keep working on things around here such as our Far Infrared Sauna (now we've set it so it's always on...you never have to wait for it to warm up!) and the Spa Garden even has an outdoor shower! Glad you told us you loved your Couples Moroccan Massage-it seems you two try a different treatment each time you visit...(next trip, try the Moroccan Rain Treatment-my personal favorite!)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Wonderful place where my husband and I spent our honeymoon. Very private and sensual. This was our 3rd visit and everytime it has been excellent. Service is attentive without being overbearing. The decor is authentic and a feast for the eyes. This place is for relaxing and exploring your senses. Play chess in the garden on the jumbo chess board, sit on the lounge chairs enjoying the healthy breakfasts, listen to the background music of sounds of Morocco and soak in the mineral hot tub or swim in the mineral pool. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geri M
Hi Geri J,

First, continued best wishes and congratulations! It was our pleasure to have you stay with us again (visit number #3) We know our inn isn't very big, but it's nice to hear you found our little getaway to be sensuous and romantic-and have had fun exploring the Spa garden...who won the Giant Chess game? Coming back for a rematch? Looking forward to your return!
Rancho Cordova, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Favorite things: warm mineral swimming pool, giant Jacuzzi pool swathed in fabric, and spa garden at night. Had a delightful time and thoroughly enjoyed the nightly complimentary Happy Hour! One night I sat quietly reading on my ipad while they brought me those yummy Moroccotinis and the other nights I sat at the bar and shared laughs with the other guests.

I found my room immaculate with interesting and authentic Moroccan furniture - loved those doors and lanterns - thought I had taken a magic carpet ride! Spa garden was fun with hammocks and at night it was another world. (Okay the hot spring pools were great at night, but that goes without saying.)

We will return soon!

Room Tip: Love the room with the kitchenette even though I didn't cook! I understand that none of the r...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Hi JoanJ,

Thank-you for this review! We continue to strive for great stays for all of our guests...and hope to see you again and again! The warm mineral spring-water swimming pool and Jacuzzi (open all night long!) are calling....come back and let's raise a "Morocco-tini" at happy hour to pure relaxation!