“This is not real Mexican food”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of El Taco

El Taco
Ranked #9 of 243 Restaurants in Downey
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“This is not real Mexican food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

First of all I want to say anyone that thinks this is real Mexican food is not Mexican .. I heard wonderful things about this place so I decided to try it . I order carne asada tacos and they put lettuce on them I won't say they were disgusting however they are not good at all .

Downey, California
“Best Mexican food? Not even close...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

First of all I'm Mexican and this place had big hype behind it so I decided to give it a shot , I went and the food was over priced and tasted pretty plain I had the tacos and they put lettuces on them and it was almost $3 per taco bad my wife had the famous Quesadilla same no good..

There is way better places in Downey and I mean WAY WAY Better Mexican food in Downey. For starters I would go to Glorias for high quality Mexican food it's on Florance and if you want fast food Mexican Go to Zavalas II In front of Downey Landing Hand made tortillas and meat is grilled chopped up right in front of you and only 1.35 for a huge taco with pure meat you put your own toppings they don't try to stuff the taco with a bunch lettuce and charge you double . The place gets super packed and I mean super packed during lunch time anyone who knows of this places becomes a regular. El taco wishes it tasted half as good as either of these places "EL taco" is a Mexican as Taco Bell in my opinion so if you like taco bell you will love it if not stay clear and go to one of my recommend places and thank me later.

• Visited April 2011
Los Angeles
“One of a kind!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

There is simply nothing like a red quesadilla from El Taco. Like many other reviewers, I also grew up in Downey - - and always stop here if we are anywhere near it (and sometimes even if it's completely out of the way .. haha). If El Taco ever closes down, I know all of us who love it so much will fall into a big heap and cry our heads off!

• Visited February 2011
1 Thank SkipperB
Firestone, Colorado
“The Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

I grew up in Downey and I have to tell you that I really miss this place! The red quesadilla's are the best!!! Everytime I'm home, stopping by is a must!

• Visited January 2011
2 Thank cblyon10
Yorba Linda, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Local Favorite.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2010

Grew up in Downey and I love this place. Anytime I come back, I have to have El Taco. Red quesidilla is the best. Yummy.

Been to El Taco? Share your experiences!