“Pleasantly Surprised!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Days Inn Downey

Days Inn Downey
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Downey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

Outstanding service. Everyone was courteous and the room was clean with plenty of towels per my request. I would defintely recommend this hotel to anyone. The Stonewood Mall is right behind the hotel and all the food places were walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

We stayed here 2 years ago. We were happy to see the hotel had been renovated. It was nice to have available outlets on both sides of the bed without deciding what to unplug.The bed was very comfortable. We will be back if in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel based on other reviews. I would say I am picky when it comes to hotels. I must say that my room was clean and nice. Updated look, comfortable bed (King), desk area and two chairs to relax in (like to sit and watch TV and not have to sit on bed). Great location lots of places to eat in walking distance. The only thing I want to note as a saftey item is I was traveling alone and the room opened to the outside, this is not my preferred when it is just me.

• Stayed September 2012
DaysInnStonewood, Public Relations Manager at Days Inn Downey, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! I hope to see you on your next trip to the Los Angeles area!
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

Let me just preface this review by stating that I am VERY VERY picky when it comes to hotels. I very rarely can force myself to stay at places that are not 4-star and up.

However, on this trip to L.A., I had been staying at a 4-star location near LAX and, unexpectedly had to extend my stay. Since I was traveling on business but was not going to be reimbursed for this hotel stay, I had to think of my budget. This Days Inn was the ONLY place I could find that was within budget (less than 100 bucks per night) and seemed clean and modern.

So, this place has been newly renovated. The renovations are aesthetically nice. Everything looked modern and new.

PROS:

The location is GREAT, especially compared to the LAX location I was staying in the night before. Starbucks is walkable, the mall and many eateries are within walking distance. Many big box stores (Micheals, Ross etc) are a short drive down the road. Downey is convenient to several freeways including the 5, 105 and 605. There is a casino within 5 miles. I actually used to live in Downey about 9-10 years ago and its a great little city.

Parking and internet are free. This is HUGE in L.A. At the 4-star place in which I was previously staying, I had to fork over an extra 40 dollars PER NIGHT for parking and internet. So, I appreciated this.

There is a free continental breakfast.

The room was spacious and the design choices they made are nice.

The bed was comfy and large.

The room had DirectTV - love that!

CONS:

The ironing board (clearly not part of the reno) was FILTHY and disgusting. I would have just taken my clothes to the bed to iron them but the iron was ATTACHED to the ironing board to prevent theft. I did not want to put my clean clothes on that nasty thing!!

The towels, although clean, were ratty and some had holes in them. Also, maybe it was the detergent they use on the towels, but I felt like they were hard and had some sort of residue on them.

There was a giant gap under the door to the room and, not surprisingly, I was visited by several crawling and uninvited guests. After battling a giant spider and a cricket, I had to stuff a towel under the door my last night there. This was REALLY disappointing as I am a bug-a-phobe. I will say, though, that the gap under the door seemed to only be under the door of the room I was in - an easy fix for the motel, but it needs to be fixed!

The air conditioning (also not a part of the reno) was very loud. I couldn't run the air and watch the television at the same time without blasting the T.V. ( a pain to my neighbors I am sure).

The room really does not have enough lighting. But, to be fair, I find this to be a problem in most hotels.

Both Pro and Con:

The room came with a fridge and microwave. Nice. However, both were clearly very old and the fridge was not the quietest thing in the world.

Overall, I am glad I stayed at this Days Inn and I may try it again (but I would want a different room). I am still a 4-star and up kinda girl but, if I had to watch my budget, this is a very good option.

Oh, and if you are not nearly as picky as I am (i.e. you do not require 4-star+ accommodations normally) you will likely love this place. I am fully aware of how picky I am!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
DaysInnStonewood, Public Relations Manager at Days Inn Downey, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Dear Bruingal79,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your schedule to complete this review! Also, thank you for your great comments regarding our newly remodeled accommodations and our property location!

I would also like to apologize for the problem you experienced with your room door. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. I have sent you a direct message so we can get the proper information necessary to rectify the door situation.

It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. I hope to see you during your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downey
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey
Studio Inn And Suites
BEST WESTERN Norwalk Inn
Quality Inn Near Downey Studios
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Norwalk
Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Pico Rivera

Been to Days Inn Downey? Share your experiences!