We've been coming here for many years. Usually we spend an entire week. Privacy is good; they allow dogs for a small fee; location is very nice on the North Fork Yuba.
Reasons I did not rate this a 5 star:
1) it is right across from Hwy 49, so when you are lounging at the river, cars are driving by;
2) No WiFi and cell service is mostly non-existent.
3) The furniture in the high end cabins could be more comfortable. We stay in Good Hope which has that Flintstones lob furniture. Tough on the back when propped up in bed trying to read. No cushions on kitchen chairs.
4) Mosquitoes can be the size of B52 bombers! We rarely spend time on the lovely porch because of this. Citronella doesn't work too well. Hiking can be miserable with the darn things flying around your nose, mouth, eyes...especially for the dogs who can't fend them off.
5) The staff they use to clean the cabins apparently loathe having to defrost the freezer. We've gone up with frozen goods on dry ice for our week long stay (grocery store is extremely limited) only to find the freezer (not frost-free) socked in with accumulated ice. I've had to boil water and chip away for a couple of hours before we could use it.
That said, it is still a very nice getaway, albeit pretty expensive compared to others. And they want ALL the money way in advance.
- Also Known As:
- Lure Hotel Downieville