“Great Mountain Retreat!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Downieville
Downieville River Inn and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Downieville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Nothing felt better then the pool at the Downieville River Inn after doing the Downieville Downhill bike run! Rebeccca and Eric were awesome! From having a wine and cheese tasting for my brothers birthday, to the homemade chocolate muffins in the morning, Rebecca went above and beyond the call to ensure that we had a special time with them. The rooms were basic, but the service was amazing. I offered Rebecca a job because of her amazing customer service abilities, and the funny part was that no more than an hour later, she had another job offer from a customer! Stay here for a great retreat and for quick access to downtown. Biker friendly!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank b0bcat7

Reviewed 17 July 2012

We were re-visiting the Bay Area from Tampa and couldn't fly all that way without spending some time in Downieville where we frequently camped when we lived in California. The inn was a terrific place to stay! The rooms were very clean and cozy and the hosts were very welcoming. We enjoyed a beautiful swimming hole nearby where we spent the day and sat around the camp fire at night. Will sure to be back on our next visit!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mimi A
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed 2 nights and had a wonderful time. The room was perfect for us with 2 Queen beds, very clean and pretty. I loved that we could walk anywhere - my husband and son fished under the bridge, my son and I waded in the river, and when it got very warm there was the swimming pool - warm and immaculate. The owners were charming and so helpfu, we are already planning our next visit.

Room Tip: If you're going with your family, check out room #4, it has a kitchen.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank abquister
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We are long term regulars.The largest inn in town & the only one with a heated pool and sauna. The rooms are quaint with options for a full kitchen. You can rent just a room, add a kitchen, or add a second bedroom. It has a real dining room for guests to socialize & have breakfast (We enjoyed making our own waffles.), lots of grills if you have steaks (There is fully upgraded food market with deli.), and snow shoes and sleds to borrow free of cost, a big 3 bedroom suite with lots of queen size beds which could even handle a cub scout group, a bear who visited and got drunk in the apple tree while we were there last year, next to the river where you can walk to a deep watering hole where the local teens were swimming in the summer. At times the river is seeded with so many large fish that you can look down from the nearby bridge and see 20 fish. Bring your poles. There is satelite TV in some rooms & plenty of CDs to borrow.The Grub Steak restaurant is open again , with a full menu, great food, prices, and atmosphere, just down the street.There is a local museum which is must see, easy to miss. The prices and styles were so attractive at one of the local consignment clothing stores that my wife purchased a whole wardrobe. One of the only places where you can bike downhill for 15 or more miles. Beginner, medium, and advanced. Rent the bikes in town. Or come for the free Thankgiving feast, extreme sports film festival, parade, or Fireman's ball. The local teens actually say hello to you. I like to just kick back, relax, read, & play board games most of the time.

Room Tip: We stayed in the big 3 bedroom suite, but it is really more suitable for a large group. It is like a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Carolyn S
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My family has visited Downieville for AGES. To start off, I have visited Downieville every year for my entire life, and I am 15. We started off staying at a place called the Lure, but there was a lice epidemic, so that was out. When I was about 5, we started staying here. It was the best place possible. We became great friends with the owners and their pups, and my cousins stayed and still stay in the whit house right behind the pool. Up to 2011, the resort went through some seriously rough times. From the pool being unnecessarily drained for most of our stay, to the owner being really rude, we had had better years. All that put aside, we kept coming back to our "brown house", which is now painted white. All the places are nice, but we always come back to that very first cabin. We've had so many experiences, mostly good, and if bad, they were unrelated to the resort. Needless to stay, the rooms and amenities are always so clean, neat, and comfortable. The worst thing was probably that one year, the bed was uncomfortable. That's it. 2011 was...interesting. We always go there in late July/early August. Our cabin was painted bright white with hunter green trim, which isn't so pretty, but it isn't terrible. The furnishings were different, and a little bit more inconvenient, because for years before, there was pull-out couches, and now just regular couches. That didn't work so well, because we have a LOT of people coming in-and-out to stay with us. But, with the provided blankets,couches, and pillows, we made due. Also, the washer and dryer was taken out, so we air dryer our stuff, but it wasn't even hard.The reason we come back is simply Downieville. Yes, it is an extremely small town, but if that's your thing, you will love it. If not, pack it up and go back down the highway. Unfortunately, this year, the grocery store and the Grub Steak was closed. That left the pizza parlor, Mexican restaurant, and the gas station. Oh,a nd the very friendly salon. So, twice or three times a week, we made the short drive down to Sierra City. Once again, not a big sacrifice. Sierra City, about 10-15 mins away, has a grocery store, a nice restaurant, and numerous other accommodations. Back to the resort, I have been in virtually all of the rooms and cottages, because of my family, and they are very pleasing. The management, however, could be better. To start out, we booked our cabin for 2 weeks, and the director put us down for one, so we were forced to move for 3 days into the mini cabin, at the front of the parking lot. Believe me, it was adorable, but for 5 people, it was unacceptable. Once again, we made due, because we were in Downieville, and we love it to death. The people weren't even apologetic though, which is what pissed me off. But my mother calmed me down, which was surprising, because she is usually the one being stressed. We still had TONS of fun though! The beautiful small river beach and jumping rock spot Willaby's, which also has a rental house, is about...a 3 minute walk away. Parents lounge on the sand, and kids swim across to the big, but layered rock that we jump off of. Little ones can jump off the first one, or go up a level. The big boys jump off the top level, often disobeying the parents. And yes, the river is cold, but my friend, who is very petite and hates hold, did it! Anyone can swim in that river! We tube down it, too. We walk a little up the highway, go down, swim a little, and jump on our tubes! We go down to a swimming hole called Finneys. We just discovered it last year, and a path which goes from Willaby's up to a road behind the houses, and down onto a rocky an wild, yet doable path that leads to a big rock. As you can see, Downieville is pure magic. And the Downieville River Inn and Resort is the wand. Go there, and experience something new. I can't promise that you ill love it as much as we do, or even like it, but I know that you will be happy that you tried.

Room Tip: Once again, if you have got a big family on your hands, I suggest cabin 15 or the one with its own s...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank OliviaJWright
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My husband and I were travelling through the Gold Country in California, enjoying the charming towns that enhance the beautiful Sierras. Downieville, we learned, could have been the capitol of California. I think it is a good idea that it came in second. Although our room at the River Inn was quite clean and had a lovely balcony overlooking the river, the town looks like it's seen better days. There was only one restaurant, a pizza place, open in town. I will admit, it was Sunday evening, but for a place that would seem to want tourists, not having dining choices limits the appeal. The owners are very nice and a bit apologetic about the state of their town, recommending other places to eat further down Highway 49.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vickisue54
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We stayed one night in June, weather was perfect, the river is beautiful and so peaceful. Our room was very attractively decorated, cozy and clean, with microwave and small fridge. We enjoyed our stay there very much, the owners were delightful and very helpful.
Downieville is a great area for exploring on foot.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank camano2

Been to Downieville River Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!