“Nice place to stay,Especially if you have a dog!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cave Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dunsmuir
Cave Springs Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Dunsmuir
South San Francisco, California
“Nice place to stay,Especially if you have a dog!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

We started our search for a vacation property near Lake Shasta last year. This was going to be our first trip in the area and for the first time time we were bringing our dog (we also added another before our trip).
We stayed at the cabin (Lookout) for one week. Louie was a great host and if there were any problems,he took care of them right away. The city park was within walking distance and worked out great for the dogs. The unit did come with it's own hot tub,which is great (the one by the swimming pool looked a little grimy). We did try to use the swimming pool but it was as cold as ice cubes. When we inquired about that,we were told it was "heated by solar panels",and in the week were there we only saw about 3 people use the pool (in and out). The outside sign say's "free HBO",but I guess it was not piped into our room. There was a bar-b-q supplied that was nice (that we had to clean,before we used it). The upstairs loft worked out o.k. for my 15 year old,but he had to stoop down,as the room is probably about 4ft. high. It really would have been nice to have been referred to Mt.Shasta when we got there,when we asked for the best place to shop for groceries. The store in town is WAY OVER PRICED! and seems to take advantage of the tourists. When we went to Shasta (about 10-15 mn. away), We found "Ray's",a supermarket with everything you need and reasonable prices. I don't mind patronizing the "local's",but when you have a family,do you really want to spend $80 in groceries,when you can get more than twice as much in Shasta?
When we looked for our 2013 vacation place,there were very few "pet friendly" options. This was one that we found that seemed both affordable and accommodating. Make sure you bring your own shampoo. There is no room service as well. WiFi worked great most of the time,but did have it's moments when the connection dropped.

Room Tip: Pictures posted were of our room. They were not to off from the ones posted on the web site (except...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Scott P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Mt Shasta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

I was very thankful to find this gem! This is a older resort and I had a room in the motel. Before I stay in a place I always check out the room. I have many allergies and travel with an air purifier. The room in the motel where I stayed was great. There were no musty smells or perfume I did not need the air purifier. The room smelled fresh and clean from fresh air not artificial cover ups. The carpet was very clean. The heat and the air conditioning worked great new thermostats on the wall. There was a heat lamp in the bathroom which was nice. I noticed the screen was torn and mentioned it to Louie (most awesome host!) and he replaced it right away. Also I noticed there were double windows an added feature. The room was very clean and comfortable. Good TV CD/VCR player in the room. Fridge and micro also.
There are wonderful trails just beyond the property is the city park with the Dunsmuir Botanical Garden and the Sacramento River where I saw fisherman with all their gear having fun. The landscaping was just beautiful and beyond there were older small cabins, that families rented and were enjoying themselves cooking outside and enjoying the nature in a park-like setting with very tall trees. There was some noise from Rt 5 and the train does come through several times day and night but I was not bothered. I was very comfortable and have I couldn't have been happier. Thanks Louie!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

We definitely have mixed feelings about this place. The grounds are rustic and beautiful and you can walk to the Sacramento River. Louie Dewey was very personable when making the reservations via telephone, but he quoted $59.00/night for a cabin on the telephone and we were charged $79.00/night for Sat/Sun and $59.00 for Monday.

The cabin was clean and you could hear the gurgle of Sacramento River when the noise from I-5 or the very nearby train (tracks across the river) subsided, but those were extremely rare moments. The bed was creaky and the mattress was very thin and uncomfortable. All the electrical outlets, save the one in the kitchen ceiling were dead and the wiring was suspect. The bathroom was a nightmare, stripped faucets, broken mirror glass with exposed sharp edges, broken fiberglass in the shower stall. A little TLC and a lot of elbow grease by the owners in each cabin would make a world of difference.

We never received the extra pillows we asked for and when we inquired about the hot tub, we were told “it’ll be fixed tomorrow." It never worked during our stay.

The area is a vacation treat (especially for hikers) and there are many lodging choices nearby, but if you decide to stay at this resort, book the Lookout Cabin – it’s a new cabin, built three years ago ($159 – 179 per night) and looked perfect for a couple or small family. After our second sleepless night, we asked if we could move to the Lookout Cabin for Monday night, but they wanted to charge us the full rate even though it went unbooked.

Room Tip: We never saw the motel rooms (which we heard were a bit better), but the Lookout Cabin would be the...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Michael g
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

At first the proximity to the highway and the railroad left me grumpy, but after a few hours I was able to look past them. We stayed in one of the tiny cabins and could not have been happier. It was small, but very enjoyable. Our two kids (ages 2 & 4) slept in sleeping bags on the floor and thought it was fabulous. Every day they woke up and took off to run around on their own, ride their bikes, play on the playground and we did not worry about them, and for such a young age they thought the freedom was great. Lots of other kids running around for them to play with. Had our dog with us and he was well received by owners and guests alike. Great lawn with big shade trees and chairs across from our cabin we played wiffle ball on and just enjoyed. Wifi throughout. I was able to work on the porch, while the kids ran around and the hubby fished below/behind the cabin. Each night we barbecued outside on the provided grill and picnicked at our picnic table. Lots of family reunions around us, people that have been coming back to this motel for decades. It made it very homely and friendly. Nothing about this place was high end, but it was extremely relaxing, pretty, and priced so afford-ably that we could have stayed on for another week. The town is nothing big, but driving an exit north we did lots of hiking, fly fishing and swimming in the National Forest. Highly recommend and can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KatrinTravels
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed in one of the funky cabins with a small kitchen with a frig outside on the bacj porch.. The front porch furthers the 50's look with two painted steel chairs just like GrandPop had at the beach bungalow. All was clean and comfortable. Night chill was killed off by an efficient portable electric heater. Highway and train noise required earplugs to sleep.

Room Tip: A cabin further in from the road will have less noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GeoDudeSD
Grass Valley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed over Labor Day weekend and were placed in the Blue Spruce modular unit. I am still incredulous that I actually paid money for this lodging experience. Had we not been with a large group, I would have turned around and driven the 4 hours back home. Our unit was filthy!! We discovered that our bed had not been cleaned at 10 o'clock at night when we were about to climb in to it. Thank goodness we had packed some bedding of our own and found what appeared to be an unused sheet set in the closet. The next morning while scrounging for my flip flops ( as there was no way my feet were touching the carpet that was full of hair and outside debris) my hand hit a glass beverage container that was hidden under the spread. It was half full of some previous tenants soda! Gross does not begin to define that moment. My nephew refused to eat on any of the dishes or silverware and everything we did use, we washed in hot soapy water. This is a dumpy trailer park with maybe a few good rooms scattered here and there. The location was loud but offered some great opportunities to explore the area. But really folks, no one wants to spend time in a place that doesn't even care if the beds are clean, or the floors are vacuumed. It was a horrible lodging experience in this run down trailer park.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank gmitch268
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

Let me start off by saying that this place will not suit everybody. We stayed in one of the on-site cabins dating from the 1920s. It was utterly charming and in remarkably good condition given its age. I imagine these were quite the thing when they first appeared!

The cabin overlooked the Sacramento River which gushed and gurgles soothingly at all hours. The downside is that the I-5 also makes noise - not as soothing as the river. This will be particularly discomforting for light sleepers. Add to this, a railway line is across from the river and carries up to four trains a day - freight from what I could tell. I like trains, so this was not a detraction from the setting.

The cabin was simply kitted out - ours was a two bedroom cabin. The kitchen was basic, the entire cabin was basic but for us it contributed to the charm and magic of our holiday experience. Not to say that you can't use your phone or get wifi - so it's not completely in the back woods.

I'd recommend the cabins here for those on a budget or just wanting to do it all a little more basic than most. We enjoyed our three nights here and would come back again though, this is unlikely given we travelled from Australia! :-)

Room Tip: The two bedroom cabin (Cabin 16) was a nice choice. It sits really close to the cliff overlooking th...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amethyst_Cat_Oz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunsmuir
Oak Tree Inn Dunsmuir
Swiss Holiday Lodge
#5 of 9 in Mount Shasta
McCloud Mercantile Hotel
Comfort Inn Mount Shasta Area

Been to Cave Springs Resort? Share your experiences!