“Mixed feelings”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dunsmuir
Cave Springs Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Dunsmuir
Reviewed 15 June 2009

On the one hand, this is an idyllic setting right next to the river with spacious grounds and nice people in charge. On the other hand the cabins are badly in need of renovation or, better yet, replacement.

I can't speak to the motel rooms, but the cabins are pretty dilapidated. Ours (#12) was clean and the bed was comfortable. The heater worked. Beyond that, I couldn't say a lot to recommend it and anyone who is accustomed to staying at the Ritz would probably flee in horror.

The people who run the place were very nice and helpful. The grounds, at least the area nearest the front are quite attractive. The freeway noise is noticeable, though the river sounds actually dominate during the night.

If you like rustic, you may be fine with this place. Otherwise, this might not be at the top of your list.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Atkinson
There are newer reviews for Cave Springs Resort

Reviewed 14 April 2009

Been staying here for 35 years, and have never had a bad experience. The family that owns the business is fantastic, and the resort is charming. Be sure to visit the Cave, and if you're a flyfisherman, bring your rod. They are right on the river in one of the best sections of blue ribbon trout water in the lower 48! The cabins are VERY rustic, funky, and 80 years old, but exude charm and history. Great restaurants in town (surprisingly) like SengThong's and Maddalenas, and a gourmet market adjacent to the resort make your stay comfortable.

Pros: Family atmosphere, old time charm, historic town and river
Cons: Best to love trains - they're charming but run regularly!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank TCTundra
Reviewed 15 September 2008

I loved it! I chose it from Trip Advisor and their web site, plus reading some reviews. It doesn't look like much from the street, but is awesome. Overlooking the Sacramento River, it has a collection of motel rooms, cabins, and trailers. There's a nice play area, pool, but was super quiet after dark.

I was in a motel room, which had a comfy bed, a tv, refrigerator, and in room coffee. The next time, and there will be a next time, I would like to stay two nights and have a cabin.

I had no cell service so the woman in the office allowed me to use her phone so that my family would not "worry". Super nice staff. The only "down side" was that, by the time I checked in, all the restaurants (2-3) were closed so I had to eat at a hamburger place, but the burger was delicious and the people were great.

One of the trailers was decked out like a log cabin, lots of trees, super lovely. Plan a stay here even if it's off the beaten path and you have to plan your trip along I-5 to accomodate a stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank shubeteach
Reviewed 1 September 2008

I stood here this past August and it was terrible. We got a rustic cabin filled with black widows, ants, and brown spiders. I was so discusted I went to the lobby to get a change of room, but they were closed. There is a bell and we rang it but no one came, so we went to a different hotel and stood. The good thing was they were gracious enough to refund out room and give us a 2 bedroom trailor for the same price, but that was also run down. I will never stay there again. The trains kept us all up at night, as did the fear of spiders!

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank ewwtrains
Reviewed 22 August 2008

Many family members were in the area for my neice's wedding. Sixteen of us spent two days after the wedding at Cave Springs Resort.

We had read great things on trip advisor and were not dissappointed.

The owner was very helpful in booking accomadations to suit the needs of various guests. We booked two hotel rooms and three 2-bedroom trailer houses. All were clean and well furnished.

When we arrived early in the day the owner worked hard to get us into a few of the accomadations early. He also skillfully hand-drew a map with many suggestions for activities. He seemed genuinely passionate about provding us with a fun time and show-casing the Shasta/Dunsmuir area.

We greatly enjoyed our drive up Mount Shasta and our hike at Castle Lake.

The resort is located in a beautiful old growth timber stand. The jacuzzi and pool are nice. It is only a short walk through the woods to the Dunsmuir Botanical Gardens, located on the banks of the Sacramento River.

The resort is not in a wilderness area. It is locacted very close to the freeway and the associated noise. We knew this before we went, but something to keep in mind.

There is a very nice grocery store/deli located adjacent to the property and a very good burger joint about 1 block away.

In short we loved Cave Springs Resort and the area. We hope to return to hike at Castle Craigs and maybe climb Mount Shasta. We will stay at Cave Springs Resort if we do.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank divingkeepsusyoung
Reviewed 22 August 2008

What a cute, rustic resort. The cabins, grounds and pool all remind me of the way vacationing happened 50 years ago. There's a beautiful park out the back of the property and the Sacramento River is a short walk away.

However, Dunsmuir is located hard up against Interstate 5 and the Railroad lines - expect to hear quite a bit of traffic noise and a few trains during the night

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 24 March 2007

Warm, down-to-earth owners and workers. Comfortable and pleasant surroundings. Wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank LittleMilton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunsmuir
Oak Tree Inn Dunsmuir
#5 of 9 in Mount Shasta
Cedar Lodge Motel
Cedar Lodge Motel
#2 of 6 in Dunsmuir

Been to Cave Springs Resort? Share your experiences!