“Exactly what you'd expect from a little motel just off the I-5 in the middle of nowhere”
Review of Dunsmuir Lodge

Dunsmuir Lodge
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Dunsmuir
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Don't get me wrong, this part of northern CA is absolutely gorgeous in an isolated, mountainous kinda way. This place is exactly what you'd expect in an isolated part of the state - it's simply a decent-enough little motel with clean rooms, an old but good-enough TV bolted to the bureau, just enough towels, soft-enough sheets, and a terrific meadow/mountain view off the back yard which sports a couple of picnic tables.

The gentleman at check in was pleasant enough, not particularly chatty, but efficient and direct. We arrived on a hot afternoon and walked into a very cool room, thank goodness. As the night got cooler, the AC (which is controlled by the proprietor), turned off and we opened the windows. The walls are paper thin and you're likely to hear the TV and/or conversations of your neighbors. Parking - like most motels - is right in front of your room door.

There's a soda machine and an ice machine on property, and a few decent restaurants about 1/2 mile down the road in the town of Dunsmuir, which is looking a little worse for wear, with quite a few empty storefronts - especially down by the river - due to the recession.

If you're looking to visit Castle Crags State Park and aren't camping in the park, this place is the closest and decently priced. It's just what you'd expect and you won't regret staying there.

Room Tip: Don't worry, they'll put you in the best they have available.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 August 2012

Stopped here for the night on a motorcycle trip from Canada to San Francisco. I phoned ahead to reserve a room, telling the fellow that I didn't need a palace, and price was my main concern. I was given room #10, which apparently is their cheapest. I haven't seen their other rooms, but this one is most definitely the cleanest, nicest room I have stayed in yet. I went for a ride the next day to a nearby town to grab some shaving cream and a couple other random items I had forgotten to pack into my tank bag. While shopping, a girl backed over my motorcycle while parallel parking in front of me, breaking off the kickstand and foot peg. Now stuck in Dunsmuir for a few days while arranging for the new parts to be ordered in at the Honda shop in Redding, the staff here have been overwhelmingly helpful and friendly, from procuring chain lube from thin air, to helping tape up broken parts so that I can still ride locally, to showing me some great little motorcycle roads nearby that I can ride without having to stop or park, being that my bike has no kickstand and must be leaned up against something wherever I stop. One of the owners even went so far as to loan me his GPS unit and mark out some roads for me so I wouldn't get lost. Friendly, Helpful, Clean, Tidy, these folks have turned a negative situation into a wonderful unexpected stay. 5 stars all around and two enthusiastic thumbs up!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Mototourista
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We got a very late start that day. Over-scheduled, over-loaded, we were already tired when we got on the road. By the time we hit the Siskiyou Mountains it was nearing mid-night. We were exhausted. As we rounded yet another treacherous curve on the dark highway we spotted a sign for the Dunsmuir Lodge.

We pulled off the highway and drove down a short street to the lodge, obviously an older motel, renamed in recent years. All we sought was a decent bed and a not too grungy bathroom.

What we found was a pleasant room with a super-comfortable queen bed and a spotless bathroom with all the needed amenities. As small as the room was it was well appointed with a refrigerator and a table with chairs where we ate a hasty picnic supper.

We slept hard and well. Because the lodge is away from busy I-5, it is very quiet at night. As we tossed our bags in the car early the next morning, we looked around at the attractive grounds of the lodge and decided this may be a place to return to for a longer stay. Close to the mountains for hiking, a clean and bright room at a reasonable price--what more could we ask?

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine H
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Beautifully clean room with a huge king bed. Close to I5 and Dunsmuir. It was a nice place to stop and relax for one night on our way to Crater Lake.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Ruth R
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Customer service was very good, room exceptionally clean for an older lodge. Dunsmuir Lodge had everything needed for an overnight stay including price; coffee, fridge & freezer that worked, A/C, TV etc. I was surprised how updated our room looked compared to the age of the building, I felt the "TLC" that goes into this little lodge. I did hear pipes for approx. 10 minutes & my guess is it was the shower in the adjoining unit, then peace at night. Also, we enjoyed sitting outside and eating at a local brew pub. I'll stay at DL again.

Room Tip: Was happy with room 112 (upstairs)
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DixieB B
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This is an family-owned place. Clean. Friendly. Lovely grounds adjacent the river with a big lawn good for picnics. I'm a repeat customer and look forward to the next time I'm on the I-5.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Unlike one of the prior reviews, I thought the guy at check-in, 7:30 pm, Tuesday, 1/24/12, was very friendly, as was the woman I spoke to on the phone that day when I reserved a few hours earlier. When I arrived, snow was piled high everywhere and there were maybe only 2 other guests, including the friendly border collie who ran into my room, so it was very quiet. As for cost, with some of the horrible chain places I've stayed costing much more, I think this is a great bargain.

The good points: the room, number 8, was spotlessly clean. Lots of hot water in the shower, which itself had a tile floor and was nice. The bed was very comfortable, with good linens. Fridge and coffee-maker in the room. Yes, the room is very old, but it is extremely well-maintained. Last, location, location, location. I think Dunsmuir is a charming, old-school mountain town.

Bad points, the reasons I go 4-stars instead of 5: couldn't get front curtains to close completely, letting others see in (until I used the ball-point pen in the room as a clip); the toilet, although new, doesn't flush worth a darn. The plunger sitting next to it (you won't see THAT at the Four Seasons) is definitely needed, and the owners should demand a refund from its manufacturer; the combo ac/heater unit does blow kind of loud, but it heated up the room nicely; the cable on the back of my TV was broken, couldn't get any channels until I fixed it myself (I had called management but don't think they got my message because I didn't press # to save it). The signs tacked up in the room and all over the place are a little annoying if you're a good guest, but unfortunately there are a lot of idiots and inconsiderate jerks out there. (I recently stayed at a similar rustic lodge-type place in Washington and they had problems with people scaling fish in the rooms!)

If you're used to staying at the Ritz-Carlton or the Four Seasons, this will be a little too rustic for you. But of course you probably wouldn't be considering a stay in Dunsmuir, anyway.

My overall summary is that I loved my stay, and I hope to return with my spouse and my Labs to spend a week.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunsmuir
Travelodge Dunsmuir
Cedar Lodge Motel
Cedar Lodge Motel
#2 of 6 in Dunsmuir
Dunsmuir Inn & Suites Hotel

Been to Dunsmuir Lodge? Share your experiences!