“Charm and value "Mom & Pop" motel”
Review of Cedar Lodge Motel

Cedar Lodge Motel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Dunsmuir
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We were two women friends who traveled to the Shasta area for hiking and sightseeing. Our stay at Cedar Lodge Motel in Dunsmuir, Ca, July 11, 12, 13 was a very pleasant experience. As other reviews have mentioned, the prior owners came out of retirement a few years ago to repossess their former lovely property, after their buyer had let it deteriorate, reneging on the payments. Mike and Sylvia Robinson are doing a fantastic job to salvage their equity in this charming single-story motel shaded under the big cedars. Our spacious room (#1) was one of five that are now completely renovated with comfortable beds, (3 pillows each and extra blanket in the closet) frig, micro, flat-screen tv, new carpet, paint, tasteful simple décor, spotless bathroom w/ tub/shower. Towels were new, thick and large enough. If you don't need them changed daily, be sure to tell Marcia before she brings clean ones! There was a table w/ two chairs for eating in our room, plus a small table & 2 chairs just outside each room on the front porch. We loved that we could open windows on opposite walls, and in the bathroom, to enjoy the fresh mountain air. We did not even need to use the AC, which we were told was in good working order. A new ice machine is outside.
The large parking lot allowed for easy turnaround of trucks, and we could park right in front of our door. At the back, there's a lovely grassy picnic area w/ 2 BBQs and tables. Mike has redone his wonderful aviary and fish pond. The gardens are pleasing to the eye - all created and tended lovingly by Sylvia and Marcia.
The British owners and their relatives Cliff and Marcia all live on the premises, and are available 24 hours a day to offer their assistance and friendship. If we needed anything (more tea or coffee, a dish or whatever) Marcia told us to just ask. They really care about the comfort of the guests, and are working hard to bring the entire place back to its glory days. They keep everything very clean and functioning. I am already planning to stay again in the fall with other hiking friends. We will take the nice one-bedroom w/ full kitchen and patio/garden that sleeps up to six.
If you prefer to steer away from the cookie-cutter chains, and want a basic clean place to sleep, where you can cook in your room or outdoors, then this mom & pop motel is a terrific bargain. We really enjoyed chatting with our friendly hosts about the birds and the area. You can walk to a pretty waterfall, and the Sacramento River and Botanical Garden are just down the road. The I-5 entry/exit is very close.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Leigh D

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I stayed at cedar lodge motel this last 5 days and it is great place to stay Nice and quiet and clean. The rooms are clean and they work very hard to keep the rooms clean and to make the customer happy and comfortable. I would recommend this place to everyone that wants to come up and spend a few days.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank shasta2010_2010
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I have stayed at this place for the past 3 years. The first year I stayed here, I met the owners who said that they had taken over the place once again. The owners are very nice people. I was pleasantly surprised with the rooms. The rooms are very clean and well kept. I love the parking, because you can park right in front of the room. I've taken my portable bbq every year and have been able to cook there. There is also a small refrig, microwave, coffee in the room. I've brought my jet ski up there and feel safe leaving it there unattended.
I will continue to stay there every year.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank charavila
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The Cedar Lodge in Dunsmuir, CA is a great place to get a room without spending a lot of money. If you are looking for a good value while you spend your time enjoying the outdoors of the Mt. Shasta area, look no further. The rooms are clean, with refrigerators, microwaves, coffee pots with coffee, cable tv and ours were provided with new towels every day. We were allowed to have our dogs for an additional $5 each a night. I have no complaints and will definitely be staying here again. Easy access to many outdoor areas popular to the outdoorsman and families and the town of Dunsmuir. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank barbwired2
Reviewed 3 June 2013

My husband and I have been visiting Dunsmuir for over 30 years now as this is his hometown. We usually come up 4-5x a year and until a few years ago we stayed at the Cedar Lodge Hotel. We noticed a few years ago this place had fallen into to disrepair. The last time we were there has been at least 2-3 years ago and then it was dreadful. We stayed one night and moved.
We found out recently the original owners from 1985-2000 were back in charge and we were thrilled!

Mike and Sylvia have spent a bunch of money and a lot of sweat equity bringing back the comfort and charm of their lodge. We stayed there June 1-2 and were so pleased with all the improvements. The aviary is back and full of beautiful birds. They have expanded the bbq and lounging area, the rooms are spotless with new furniture and beds and the bathrooms are freshened and inviting. They have rooms with kitchens, living areas and separate bedrooms, as well as private patios for larger parties or longer stays and each regular room has a fridge, microwave and new A/C. If you need anything, all you have to do is ask and they will accommodate you. The rooms are reasonably priced and they welcome dogs so we are happy.

Sylvia has a lot more she wants to do and is working hard to win back lost patrons and keep improving the premises. So far so great, I think.

We are very glad this sweet lodge is back on its game and we look forward to staying there again soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank travellingalnguy
Mike R, Owner at Cedar Lodge Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Thankyou for nice review hope to see you again

Reviewed 26 March 2013

On a dark January evening, more than 600 road miles consumed ... a motel seems like a good idea. I chose this as a possibility from the internet the day before, knowing the outer limit of my day. It's a 1960's vintage collection of ground floor rooms grouped back in the woods. I needed a ground floor easy access room because I had to unload some cargo that wouldn't benefit from weather. My truck shared the parking area with piles of plowed snow and nobody else. I got in to town after dark when the minimalistic grocery store was about to close and the town was dormant. The room's microwave worked and there was an NBA game on the tv and the bed was good enough. No bathtub. Noisy heater. It's not a bright and shiny place but maintained well enough. The town has been carved up by Interstate 5 and looks to be perpetually waiting for a bit of summer tourism. You might like the screened aviary of semi-tropical birds that raucously greet the dawn unless you don't want the dawn greeted outside your window. In summary, I expect more for sixty-five dollars but it was quiet, safe and "local".

Room Tip: Good if you need a ground floor old style motel room where you park next to your door.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DreamingTheDreamLife
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We arrived in Mount Shasta after a long trip up the Northern California coast and across to the area. I phoned a friend who had lived in Mount Shasta for ten years for his advice on where to stay. He continues to visit and always stays at Cedar Lodge in Dunsmuir. He said the owners are from England, as is my traveling partner, and very welcoming..as was the case. Mike and Sylvia tended to our every need. The room was very clean and equipped with tv, wifi, tea and coffee, a fridge and microwave, and there is an outdoor table as well. The gardens are very well tended with a large aviary for rescued birds and further outdoor seating and a BBQ area. We will definitely return to Cedar Lodge. Upon leaving we were so touched by Sylvia's graciousness that we left her a present, a first for me! So a big THANK YOU to Sylvia and Mike and we'll see you again soon (( ; x Blaise and Ian

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank blaisebarnes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunsmuir
Dunsmuir Lodge
#3 of 9 in Mount Shasta
Shasta Inn
Shasta Inn
#7 of 9 in Mount Shasta

Been to Cedar Lodge Motel? Share your experiences!