“Stay here only as a last resort”

Relax Inn and Suites
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in El Cajon
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Three words to describe this place: Grungy, Skanky, Yuck.
I stayed here because it had good reviews on TripAdvisor. How it got those good reviews - I have no idea. When I checked in the first night at 1:30 AM I was surprised to discover a grungy, smelly, skanky, worn out old room, shower didn't work, toilet got plugged with normal use. Room did not even meet tolerable standards.
In the morning talked to front desk person (nice lady) and she gave me a better room for second and third nights. Things worked fine in second room (except for two of the lights) and it was less grungy and skanky, but not what I would call pleasant. I would sum up the second room as meeting bare minimum standards. At least there were no bedbugs.
Continental breakfast? Ha! It consisted of one tiny box of cereal, with a sign posted that each guest can take only one.

Room Tip: Avoid all rooms if possible
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank sfoadvisor

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Upon checking-in, we were greeted by David, A very friendly and helpful front desk clerk who helped us throughout our entire stay. The hotel was very nice and quiet and very nice and clean rooms. I really liked the fact that it is next to Denny's, which is my favorite breakfast restaurant. The hotel is conveniently located to all local attractions and casinos. We also enjoyed the swimming pool the hotel had during our stay. The hotel also had washer and dryer facilities which made it easy for us during our stay. I will definitely recommend this place to my friends who are looking to going to San Diego on a trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Relax Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you for posting your great experience at our hotel. It is always our priority to provide our guests with the best service, rooms, and amenities. We thank you for recommending our hotel to any and all family and friends visiting the area, it is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Check in time was 2:00 PM and Check out time was 11:00 AM. When I arrived at 3:30 PM, the room was not ready. I had to wait half an hour more. There is one laundry machine (6 quarters required) for guests. Despite door sign that room is nonsmoking, the room had odor of cigarettes. Most guests smoke outside room. I could not breathe in my room. With the furniture, one drawer was missing, the others were not level and could not easily be opened. The refrigerator temperature was above 40 F and its door did not close, and as a consequence, the vegetables I stored spoiled. The bathroom sink was slow to drain. Television channels are limited but most channels were in Spanish.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
GuestRelationsDept, General Manager at Relax Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback with our hotel. We regret not being made aware of these inconveniences your incurred during your stay. Considering the number of issues experienced we would have happily issued you a new room and assisted you in moving your luggage. Its unfortunate we both were unable to solve this at the property level, however we do want to invite you back to stay with us, as we do not want any of guests leaving our hotel with a bad taste in their mouth. Once again we thank you for sharing your feedback with management as it does us nothing but good to our future guests.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

While I stayed at the Relax Inn & suites hotel in El Cajon, i had a really good stay. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable in giving directions. Everything was so close to me,.e.g.Wal-mart, shopping center, and Denny's was right next door. The best was the fact I got a great deal on my stay during comicon weekend. I will definitely stay there next year again because I am a Comic-con regular. They have really nice rooms with refrigerators and microwaves.
-Satiesfied guest.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Lizzy92154

We thank you for sharing your great experience at our hotel during your stay. All of us know how busy San Diego can get during Comic Con and we are delighted that you gave us the opportunity to be your choice of accommodations. We look forward to seeing you next year.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

During the week I stay in Relax Inn hotel while I worked. I have been to different hotels in San Diego. I have not see a hotel like Relax Inn. The staffs are friendly and professional in dealing with their guests. I want to thank Mr. Jay for providing the best services.

• Stayed: July 2013

We thank you kindly for your review. Mr. Jay is a great member of our team and is dedicated to providing the best quality and value to his guests. Thank you again for choosing the Relax Inn as your preferred hotel of stay while visiting the area.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

My family was in town for the Memorial Day weekend,our normal El cajon Motel we use was Sold out due to a baseball tournament team as was everyone else. The clerk at check in did not seem very friendly, no eye contact, no smile seemd all they cared about was get our money and out them in a room. Parking lot had a lot of local rift raft moving in and out all night long which was scary to my parents. Freeway Traffic was loud. The rooms were clean and beds comfortable but so are the ones at our normal location, I would say the poor reception at checkin and noise would keep my parents from staying here again and the fact it is a Ma Pa with No rewards type programs

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank PeggyLeg

Its unfortunate that your check in experience was not up to your standards. If we may have the name of the associate that checked you in we may further access this occurrence and speak with that representative of our hotel. As a local inn, we regret not having the means to initiate a rewards program, however we do our best to offer special rates to regular customers. Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Great Location~easy off/on freeway with gas station, convenience store, and restaurant all within walking distance. Room was clean and comfortable, linens fairly new. When I made the reservation I was promised a good price based on what I found on internet, and they kept their promise honoring a very good rate for both nights. Breakfast wasn't like higher end hotel chains but it was better than what I grab at home. All the staff were very attentive and friendly. Highly recommend, we plan on staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Relax Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Thank you reviewing our hotel, we are glad that our hotel was clean, comfortable, and convenient for you stay in San Diego. It is crucial to us that we make every guests stay as enjoyable as yours with affordable prices, and great customer service. Thank you for staying with our hotel, we look forward to your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near El Cajon
Sycuan Golf Resort
#2 of 15 in El Cajon
Best Western Continental Inn
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East

Been to Relax Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!