“San Diego's Hidden Secrect”

Relax Inn and Suites
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in El Cajon
Reviewed 26 August 2010

The Relax INN & Suites In El Cajon California. I found this Hotel to be neat, clean and very acommodating. The rooms have cable tv,microwave ovens, refrigerators, wake up call, and ice cold a/c. If you are looking for a place that you can afford during summer season in San Diego and driving distance to the beach, this is the place.
They also have a weekly rate that is very reasonable if you are on vacation or thinking about relocating.

There is also a swimming pool on the property and walking distance to Dennys.

Dennys has a $2-4-6-8- Meal deal and if you check your receipt after paying your meal (read the small print) you get $2.00 off for any meal over $10.00.

Relax Inn has easy acess to highway 8.

If you stop by the Relax Inn & Suites just ask for Jay and tell him Keith sent you.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 August 2010

I knew I was going low-end but I have faith in TripAdvisor reviews. I selected this motel based both on price, distance, and overwhelmingly on the most recent reviews. To go to San Diego mid-August on a budget is no easy task. To find a motel that came out for 3 nights to $193 with tax (roughly $65/night) is nothing to sneeze at.

First, I was prepared, based on a previous reviewers comments, to deal with the management. In order to alleviate any potential issues I went directly to the Relax Inn and Suites website to book my stay. Oddly, the manager called my cellphone the day before I was to depart down to San Diego but I missed the call and he didn't leave a message. It was only be recognizing the area code and checking the number on the website that I realized he was calling me. Why? I have no idea. My only guess was to check if I was a real person or something. On the website you're required to include a credit card that won't be charged unless you "no show" without reason 48 hours in advance. So, I called him back and he seemed somewhat surprised I did so. I said I saw he called and he said it was to confirm my reservation. Strange. If what he was really doing was to confirm a reservation why didn't he leave a message?

Unfortunately, it's my belief (but I have no proof to back it up) that I got screwed for getting such a low price. Lemme say, though, it helped I had a reservation at all because when I pulled in late Thursday night the place was fully booked with "No Vacancy" signs up on all their windows and almost all the parking spots gone. When I pulled in at a little after 9pm I was half-surprised that their little lobby was already locked up and then reminded myself that it is El Cajon. I went up to the little window and said I had reservations. She snapped the print up out of my hand and spent 5 minutes on the computer. Goodness only knows what took so long. My guess -- to make sure I got a crap room since I was paying a crap price. To note they had a sign in the window that explicitly stated they can charge whatever they want (pretty much) based on room availability.

Here I am, traveling alone to the crap city of El Cajon and have reservations and I got stuck on the first floor next to a guy that clearly lives there (his door was wide open while he wandered around and occasionally yelled up to another guy that lived above him). Not only that but my supposed "smoke-free room" was anything but. Based on a the previous reviewers comments on how difficult it was to deal with the manager and the signs posted saying "No Vacancy," I'll admit I didn't bother to ask for another room.

On the safety factors: #1 - it didn't help to be in El Cajon. #2 - it didn't help that the management already locked themselves up behind glass by 9pm. #3 - being given a 1st level floor (but I blame myself for not asking specifically for the second floor in my reservations and for wanting to perpetuate the desire as a female to be on the 2nd floor). #4 - being given a room next to a sketchy dude. #5 - Having windows that were HUGE with no way to safely bar it. #6 - Having a door so sketchy the only way I slept "comfortably" was by putting a tilted chair against it. And the all-time kicker thankfully didn't occur 'til my cousin rescued me the last night and I had already checked-out late at night: I had to check out the little pool (which, I might add was superbly clean). As I looked over the wall, though, there was a scary dude sitting in the tightest of corners dressed all in black: black shoes, black jeans, black hoodie and he had the hood down over his head, but open enough to where I saw his face. FREAAAAAKKKYYYY!!!!! Had I seen something like that when I first checked in, I would've told the manager and said I had to leave for fear of my safety.

Cleanliness: Not bad for a low-end motel, actually. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty clean. The ceiling above the bed was kinda gross, though, but amazingly the ceiling above the shower was immaculate -- sometimes you don't even seen that in high-end motels/hotels. They do need to invest in plastic shower curtains, though. It was disgusting to touch and the bottom was a moldy mess. But, for the most part, it was clean (besides the smoky smell).

Noise: O-M-G. I don't think I found this issue reviewed in the more recent reviews - I'm sure it has to be in there somewhere. I could hear my lovely next door neighbor talking well into the night. I got a crap room right next to the freeway so I heard that loud and clear. Most fabulously was how well I could hear the people above me walking around - it actually woke me up at 4am. Oh, yeah, and that was fun, too, when I heard the shower running (or maybe it was the toilet). My only solace was to run the A/C & Fan all-night. Unfortunately, I don't think there was a proper filter on the A/C and I woke up with terrible allergies requiring a Benadryl to recover (and the following night with Claritin to stave off the inevitable allergy attacks from having the fan on all night).

Bed comfort was okay. It was very springy and thought if I laid down just right I might bounce right off again. But, considering some of my feeling a little less than safe, I slept relatively well in it. Also, the pillows were quite nice.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to partake in the Continental Breakfast because each morning I left before the allotted 7:30am start time.

On the positive side of things: #1 - right off the freeway (clearly popular with crowds of people). #2 - Seriously shares a parking lot with Denny's. #3 - Directly across the street was a Sombero's Mexican restaurant, an AM/PM, and a 7-11. #4- the microwave was clean and very useful (unfortunately, the refrigerator had seen better days and was missing pieces of the tray - but that was a "make it work" moment). #5 - fairly consistent internet connection. It dropped out once or twice, but was pretty good for wireless (that was my saving grace). #6 - ample storage space. #7 - Cable Television (although, it wasn't the best picture). #8- phone to make local calls.

Would I stay here again or recommend it? No. I wouldn't stay there again unless I was with someone and hard up on cash. Would I recommend it - only if (sorry to be sexist) a male or traveling together with someone and were really hard up on cash. Next time, I guess I'll either have to spend more money or ignore reviews of similarly priced motels and roll the dice.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2010

I have been traveling from bakersfield sometimes alone and sometimes with colleagues for business. For many months now i have been coming and formed a great clientel here in sandiego and tecate. Its only about 40 min from each boarder if your business is also in mexico. Since i have been coming to relax inn and suits the customer service has been wonderful and the staff are always going out of there way to help you. The breakfast is great and convienent if your on the go which most business men or women are. Jay and nick have been extrodinary at helping me connect to the internet or any kind of help with the computer they have helped me with,also with any other help i needed. If your looking for a nice clean and very well staffed place to stay choose relax inn and see for yourself.

Christian Sanoja
Enviro3care

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2010

The man who took the reservation was rude and would not give me the price advertised online because of a convention in town that weekend, because we were in a pinch I booked anyway. Very clearly and plainly in our paperwork we booked 2 nights, the 2nd day he called to say that he was going to kick us out if we did not pay $130 for the second night, (the first night was $89!), He admitted that the paperwork showed 2 nights but he insisted that over the phone someone told him 1 night. I know he was scamming us for more money because if we left he could get more for the room. I saw bugs in the bathroom and that the staff tried to charge for an extra towel. So many better places to stay for the $.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank triphappy99
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I chose this place for the low price, and was a little worried that I just might 'get what I paid for.' My worries began disappearing as soon as I arrived and went to the office to check in. Jay and his wife were wonderful from the moment they greeted me. Anything I wanted, they provided quickly and with a smile. I will definitely recommend the Relax Inn on Main St. to all my friends who plans trips to the San Diego area.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 February 2010

We have been staying at this hotel for several weekends during the past three years and have been delighted to see the upgrades made to the accomodations . Rooms are large and clean . New draperies and curtains have been installed . The beds are comfortable . Each room has a micowave and refrigerator which we much appreciate . Low flush toilets have been installed denoting management's environmental commitment . Staff is especially friendly and warm , especially Nick who always greets us with a warm hello . Any concerns about our room has always been dealt with quickly and efficently . Location , just off Interstate 8 is perfect for us no matter if we are exploring Balboa Park , the Zoo, Seaport Village , or attending meetings in the area .
Value is great for the dollars spent .
Just a reminder to bring your own hair dryer as these are not supplied.
Continental breakfast is now being served and if something more substantial is desired , Denny's is just across the parking lot .
We hope to continue staying at the Relax Inn for many more weekends to come .

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
alondra_vazquez, Guest Relations Manager at Relax Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2010

Thank you for taking the time, to post a review online! I am glad to hear our staff was frienly and helpful. Our hotel likes to take pride in being an affordable but clean hotel. We hope to see you the next time you visit sunny San Diego!

- Vicky Patel, Guest Services Rep.

Reviewed 14 February 2010

Very clean rooms and Great wi-fi! Dennys is one minute away, Freeway acess is right there. Close to major attractions in San Diego. I stay here 5-10 days a month! Very safe also!!No problems or complaints. Beds are excellant! I will be staying for at least another week. I will be back. Very satisfied customer.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

- Vicky Patel, Guest Services Rep.

Also consider these accommodations in or near El Cajon
1 mi away
Super 8 El Cajon CA
Super 8 El Cajon CA
#4 of 15 in El Cajon

Been to Relax Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!