“Motel room - Tolerable; Meeting room - intolerable”

Best Western Continental Inn
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in El Cajon
Seattle, WA
“Motel room - Tolerable; Meeting room - intolerable”
Reviewed 28 July 2009

It is a basic motel. Smells kind of funny. Weird bedspreads. Gross danish-things for the continental breakfast. You know, the usual.

Pool was small, but ok.

I used one of their meeting rooms for a business meeting. I do not recommend their meeting room at all. The phone lines didn't work for the first couple hours, which is a problem when you are trying to have a conference call. The room was set up for a speech, not for a meeting with 5 people; so I had to move lots of furniture. No coffee. No water. No apologies.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
California
Reviewed 7 May 2009

We were part pf the Lakeside Rodeo, and since it was close to Lakeside we decided to book two roms at this place. The rate we paid was very affordable and the rooms were spotless! Consider the fact that you are getting free breakfast with eggs and cereal and it will add up at the end! We stayed in a mini-suite and we loved it. We'll be back next year!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Santee
Reviewed 2 December 2007

I booked two rooms at this hotel since our reservations were messed up at another hotel in the area.

The Best Western guys were helpful in taking my reservation and they got me two rooms on the ground floor and next to each other without any hassle.

Disregard the comments from other people about the "imitation" Lucky charms (LOL), because we found a very complete basic breakfast (they even had eggs and cereal).

Nothing fancy, but overall the service is good.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank PeterGr
Campbell, CA
Reviewed 27 April 2007

When we are staying on a budget we typically will stay at a Best Western because you can rest assured that your bed will be moderately comfortable, your room will be clean and in good repair and you will be able to get a free breakfast.

When we pulled up we noticed that we were in a sketchy area of town. Definitely not the fault of the motel. The young lady at the front desk was very kind but did convince us to upgrade to a suite for $20 more so we would be away from the freeway. When we walked into the room we discovered a cramped room...I guess that theh pony wall between the bed and over furnished other side of the room it qualified it as a "suite". We decided to stay two of our five nights and see how it went. Well...

There was so much furniture on the other side of the room that there was enough room for us to put our luggage or sit down and relax. The top of the toliet tank was cracked in a few places and had obviously been superglued together. Carpet was dirty. My socks were black after walking around the room for 25 minutes trying to find places to put our things. The bed was like a brick! The absolutely most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept on in my life. The floor was definitely softer but after I saw my socks there was no way I was going to try sleeping there.

Here are the positive points about this accomodation:
~breakfast while limited was free
~WiFi allowed us to check email and find another hotel
~Microwave and small fridge allowed us to store some food.
~Iron and ironing board were brand new so my clothes did not get scorched or any left over crude from the steam vents.

After one night of no sleep we decided to check Expedia for a different hotel but we were now hesitant about booking online sight unseen. We drove to the Sycuan and were able to book the remainder of our trip with them directly for less than we paid for this Motel 6 disguised as a Best Western.

• Liked — Very close to our meetings and great WiFi
  • Disliked — Everything else!!
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank wakegirl1967

Travellers are raving about these El Cajon hotels

Granada Hills, CA
Reviewed 16 July 2006

There are two buildings at this hotel (actually it's more a motel), an older building right next to the I-8 freeway and a newer building across the parking lot, which is the one you see in all the pictures. I was in the older building and the window looked out onto the freeway onramp so it was very loud. If you aren't used to traffic noise you should avoid this hotel!

The room was adequate and had new carpet and furnishings though the bathroom was starting to show its age. But as long as you understand that you aren't staying at the Ritz Carlton you should be OK.

The continental breakfast left much to be desired: bread and Eggos that could be toasted, some pastries, and cereal. And they still have the imitation Lucky Charms :-)

• Stayed July 2006
Mexico, ME
Reviewed 17 October 2005

Well, this place was a mix. Positives included wireless internet, ample living space in the room, refrigerator, microwave, table, decent water pressure, comfortable bed...on the downside the air conditioner smelled like urine...I inquired about this smell with the front desk...they sent someone over who informed me that this odor was "typical" of an air conditioner that has not been used recently (apparently mine was not...) and they proceeded to spray with various lysol type products...this did not help...I mentioned that my old air conditioners didn't smell like urine however they insisted this was normal...they had good imitation lucky charms...in fact, I think I liked them better than regular lucky charms. The price is cheaper, which is nice. But it's inland, which means it's hot! Which brings us back to that air conditioner...

6 Thank OOLONGJUNKIE
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2004

I would NOT stay in this hotel again. I reserved a non-smoking king room with a CC, but when I arrived was offered a smoking queen room at the same rate. When I complained, I was told that at their hotel, a "king" room just means it has one bed which can be any size and doesn't have to have a king-sized bed. They only gave us a non-smoking room after we pressed them and they admitted they had one with 2 queen beds, which they wanted to charge us MORE for since it had 2 beds, and we'd only reserved one.

The hotel was also not very clean, and appeared to have a number of long-term residents.

8 Thank VeganTraveler
Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU
Relax Inn and Suites
Relax Inn and Suites
#6 of 15 in El Cajon

Been to Best Western Continental Inn? Share your experiences!