“false advistment of breakfast”

Best Western Courtesy Inn
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in El Cajon
san francisco
“false advistment of breakfast”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

not inform us that breakfast ended at 9am. It should be printed at the confirmation receipt. The man at the counter was not helpful and refused to talk about this issue. As the result we had to spend money to buy breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

DESIREE M, Front Office Manager at Best Western Courtesy Inn, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Justin,
I do apologize for the misunderstanding regarding our breakfast hours! It is not typical that we provide a copy of the registration paperwork to our guests upon check-in, unless requested, but I will follow your advice and print the hours on them. Thank you for your feedback!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Wasatch Range, Utah
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This place is filthy, horrible, scary, dirty, and shady. I came here with some friends after a convention in San Diego. I thought I could trust the Best Western name..this is not up to par with Best Western's Standards. The parking lot seems shady with "locals?" milling about and loitering. Bad bad situation, seems dangerous. The pool is incredibly small but seemed clean as did the hot tub but fear of the parking lot characters will certainly keep you out of the pool area. One window in a room down the hall from us was broken and duct taped in place, Creepy strange people seem to be living there. If you can go anywhere else, even if you have to drive all night, do it.

Room Tip: don't stay here if you aren't forced to
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
I sincerely apologize for your bad experience at our hotel! We truly do strive to keep our hotel as clean as possible, and I assure you that that was not a guest room window in need of repair, rather a storage room and has since been fixed. Again, I am sorry for your dissatisfaction!
tubac, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Hotel Circle in San Diego was sold out so we traveled on and saw this place in El Cajon. Nothing fancy--typical Best Western. The staff was very friendly. We were looking for a good restaurant for dinner and Annie gave us good, clear directions to an AWESOME seafood resturant named Anthony's. Hispanic gentleman was very courteous and friendly when we checked out in the a.m. also.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

DESIREE M, Front Office Manager at Best Western Courtesy Inn, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Hello Veronica!
I am extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel! I will definitely pass along the kind words to Annie and John. Thank you for being such an awesome guest and we all hope to see you again in the future!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Horrible Beds! Plus bedbugs! The room is painted very dark in the room and can be compared to the cheapest motel 6 in a bad area! Shady characters sit on the sidewalk by the elevator smoking for hours. I didn't feel safe! Trust me, get another hotel!

2 Thank Karen S
Heber Utah
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I am impressed that the photographer could actually take a decent flattering photo of this place. It is across the busy Main Street from the "Paradise Trailer Park" and right next to some kind of dive rat hole motel. There are prostitutes not only on the street but in the parking lot (One was yelling at a guy in a SUV as he drove away "come back, I turned down the date") and I suspect that the woman whose room was next to ours was "entertaining" fellas in her room. I am positive she lived and entertained there full time. There are homeless people pushing shopping carts up and down the street and in the parking lot. When we arrived there was a gang of thugs lurking in the parking lot and I was scared all night that our car would get stolen or burglarized. I had my 21 year old son with me, and I was actually scared for his safety. There was cat food on the stairs, long black hairs in our shower and on our pillows, cigarette holes in the bed spread-which I think was an old curtain-- The floor along the walls was filthy with hair, lint, dirt, dust. Pardon the gross factor but there was a few boogers wiped on the walls by the light switches. We talked to another elderly lady who got bed bugs. I cannot believe that this place passes the muster of Best Western's standards. I called the desk at about 8 p.m. asking for blankets and the conversation was like this Me: "Hello can you please have housekeeping send up some extra blankets" Clerk: "I beg your pardon" Me: I would like some extra blankets. Clerk: "We don't have extra blankets, we are not a big fancy hotel". Me: "Ummm OK, thanks" Clerk: "If I can dig something up I will call you but you'll have to come get them, I'm the only one here" He called about 30 minutes later and had "dug up" two mattress covers and a dirty blanket. I had to risk my safety to go get them from the desk. I was mortified that I took my travelling companions (two 50 something women, my 21 year old son and his GF) here and if there would have been a room within 50 miles that was vacant I would have packed up and fled. The room was advertised as a "two bedroom two bath suite" Room 302. What a joke. It was two regular rooms joined together with a door--with no doorknob. The queen bed mattresses were on King bed frames and there was these metal rods protruding out from under the frame where my friend ran into it a dozen times, nearly breaking her neck. This cost me $233 for one night. One cup of ice costs 25 cents. There is no way on earth I would have eaten their breakfast, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. They have those dispensers in the shower for shampoo and body wash, not individual packets or bottles--which seems to be begging for trouble from pranksters. The dispensers are so selfish you have to pump the button about a dozen times in order to get enough liquid to clean your hair or body. The A/C is so loud you only turn it on to drown out the noise from the prostitute neighbor, the screaming baby and the dope slinging thugs in the parking lot. This is the worse Best Western Experience I have ever had in my life..... by far. Probably the worst lodging experience ever. I thought I could trust the name Best Western but this was absolutely unacceptable. And...yes I have let the BW chain know of my concerns. If there is any way you can stay elsewhere, I beg you to do it. This place is horrifying!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank SusieLou1962
el cajon, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We were surprised, very surprised! the area did not look very good but the hotel, the service, was very good! The pool is small but it is very clean, and while the kids played, I enjoy the Jacuzzi. The continental breakfast helps a lot! I would recommended it.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We had an excellent stay at this Best Western and I wanted to share my positive experience here. We originally had an issue with visiting a sick family member in the hospital overnight before we were able to arrive for our stay at the motel, so due to this circumstance we missed our first night of our reservation. We were able to speak with the front desk Desiree manager about the situation when we first arrived and was very professional in assisting us. We were also able to talk to the owner Mr. Kim who was very understanding and accommodating and was very kind to grant us a comp night, which we really appreciated and the price per night was reasonable too. We also had positive experience with other staff members including Deborah and Annie who proved to be helpful to us too. I was impressed overall with the friendliness and courtesy extended to us by the staff which made for a more pleasant stay.

I was also impressed with the clean and comfortable room that we were provided with. It was impeccably clean and complete with a table with two chairs, a computer desk with an office chair, microwave, a large fridge with a small freezer, TV, and wireless internet that worked consistently well with adequate speeds. The bedding compared to other motels was of a higher quality and the sheets had a noticeably higher thread count.

We also had an excellent experience with the continental breakfast pleasant, as they had many more options that other motels also, including pancakes on a stick (sausage dogs), boiled eggs, hot pockets, muffins & toast, milk/juice, fruit, cereal, etc.

My disappointment was that the outdoor pool next to the lobby was small and went from 3-4 feet deep, but that was not a big deal for us as we were in town for other needs and wasn't enough to lower my rating for the excellent experience we had otherwise.

5 stars overall. Many thanks and best wishes to the Best Western staff!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Ayres Lodge Alpine
#1 of 2 in Alpine
Best Western Santee Lodge
Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego

Been to Best Western Courtesy Inn? Share your experiences!