“Deteriorating Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in El Cajon
San Diego, California
“Deteriorating Hotel”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel has deteriorated in the past year until it has the feel of an inner city tenement. This is too bad. The staff is wonderful but the manager has allowed an element into this hotel which has contributed to my decision not to stay here again unless I absolutely have to for business.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

2 Thank ChemProf412
DESIREE M, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Courtesy Inn, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
I am saddened by your bad experience at our hotel and would like you to know that we do try very hard to keep our property clean! Reputation is very important to the management here and, though it can be a struggle in certain areas of San Diego, every employee actively participates in this struggle and truly does care!
Again, I apologize for your dissatisfaction and hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we may be given the chance to change your opinion!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Pismo Beach, United States
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Clean comfortable rooms....staff needs some training on guest service. Breakfast area very small & cramped but ok selections. Area is quiet except for the RV park behind hotel. We would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello Clark!
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to provide us with your review! I do welcome constructive criticism, as it allows us the opportunity to recognize potential problems and act on them. We have a new breakfast room in the works! The planning stages (permits and such) are nearly finished and we expect to start construction shortly. This will provide us with a larger facility and also allow us to serve more upgraded items. I am most pleased though to know that, despite the few deficiencies that you recognized, most of the areas received a four out of five rating and your overall experience was great enough to promise to return! We will be anxiously awaiting your arrival :)
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Terrible check-in experience, wrong number of rooms reserved, interior of room had roaches, tv remote did not work properly, paint job was done by a 5 year old, AC/heater unit had no markings to figure out settings, dark red striping on an access ramp is a safety hazard, one of our party was injured because of it, overall horrid experience even without the injury.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank Randall M
Dear Randall,
Thank you for your review. By your name, I was able to find one of your reservations and that lead me to find that your reservations were made by someone other than our hotel itself, so unfortunately I am unable to make assumptions as to where the discrepancy in the amount of rooms needed fell. Because it wasn’t mentioned, I can though assume that we did not hold you financially liable for this mistake. I do see that all of the requests that were asked were accommodated. We strive to make every guest happy, and though things do happen beyond our control, it is our wish to try to make up for that it any way possible.
I am very sorry that a family member of yours fell, I can definitely imagine how that could put a serious damper on a trip, and how any other negative occurrences would exacerbate the situation! I am sure that the maintenance issues in your room have been resolved by now, but I will of course send these comments to our maintenance engineers right away in the morning. I appreciate you bringing them to our attention. Just in case something has gone unnoticed, it would be impossible to remedy without being notified. I hope that the injury turned out not to be serious and that all is well with you and your family!
San Diego, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Staff and guests smoke directly outside of the office door allowing smoke to enter guest rooms via doors and windows. This is a violation of the City Code and is unfair and unhealthy for the guests that don't smoke.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

2 Thank Gregory H
Dear Deborah,
Though I know that you have never been to our hotel, I would imagine that this opinion has been passed along to you by a third party. The reason for which we did allow smoking outside was to deter guests from smoking in our non-smoking rooms, which I imagine would be even more of a nuisance to our non-smoking guests. We have signs everywhere warning guests of our policies and hefty fines for doing so. Though I’m sure you can imagine that no matter which hotel (brand/class) or location, it would be impossible to completely eliminate those who simply do not care about the comfort of others.
We have formulated a new plan in hopes of remedying this situation. We have added a few smoking rooms (away from the other rooms), for those who do smoke and also are almost finished with the design and implementation of a ‘Smoker’s Outpost,’ which will be away from the rooms and be nicely decorated. Once this is in place, we will inform guests that they must smoke in this area.
We most definitely do care about the comfort of our guests, and are excited to see if our new idea does better to address this issue. I do hope that it provides some relief to you as well, should you ever have the need for further accommodations. I appreciate the feedback and also the opportunity to explain our previous and future plans!
Surprise, United States
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at this Best Western and the first room they gave us smelld like someone was chain smoking in the room. The hotel staff then moved us to an upgraded room which smelled better. The bath tub in the upgraded room was dirty and I had to clean it prior to taking a shower. There were people living in this hotel as their home. I will not stay at this hotel again when I travel to San Diego. Very disapointed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank Ian S
Hello Ian,
Thank you for taking the time to provide this review. I sincerely apologize for not exceeding your expectations! It is very unfortunate that there are guests who simply do not care to abide by rules which are set in place in order to accommodate the satisfaction of others. We do have signs posted throughout the hotel as well as have each guest sign that they will be charged a fine should they decide to disobey our non-smoking policy. We have implemented and are continuing to implement improvements which we believe will negate this action. We have added a few smoking rooms and are almost finished with the construction of a beautiful smokers outpost which we help should greatly deter this from happening in the future.
It is very infrequent that we receive negative feedback regarding the cleanliness of our rooms, but I most definitely will be looking back into our records to investigate which of our employees overlooked the cleanliness of your bathtub. I do hope that you received much better housekeeping service for the remainder of your stay!
During your stay we did have two tenants who suffered from being misplaced from their apartments due to the presence of black mold! We did feel much sympathy for these guests, not only for the inconvenience, but to boot these guests were also disabled. I do believe that these are the guests of which you noticed. They have since been able to relocate back into their homes!
Though I realize that your experience at our hotel was not the greatest, I hope that you may give us another shot to provide you with excellent service!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 15 September 2013

the way that everything was handled was excellent. I called a couple of days before arrival, and asked for the special needs room, and the girl told Me that she had made sure that it would be available, and guaranteed.

Upon check in, Annie was fast, efficient, and very cordial. The in room internet worked superbly, and the room was very nice. the pool and jacuzzi are open until 10pm, which is also very nice.

I only wish that the ice dispenser gave more ice with the tokens that are provided at the desk.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Hello Rich!
I appreciate you for being such an excellent guest as well! :) I will pass along the complimentary words to Annie. She is our gem guest service representative and your kind words will hopefully reach the ears of other ‘Tripadvisor-ites’ and hopefully future guests of our hotel who will have the pleasure of meeting her. We look forward to welcoming you again! Have a great New Year!
san francisco
Reviewed 6 August 2013

not inform us that breakfast ended at 9am. It should be printed at the confirmation receipt. The man at the counter was not helpful and refused to talk about this issue. As the result we had to spend money to buy breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Justin,
I do apologize for the misunderstanding regarding our breakfast hours! It is not typical that we provide a copy of the registration paperwork to our guests upon check-in, unless requested, but I will follow your advice and print the hours on them. Thank you for your feedback!
Also consider these accommodations in or near El Cajon
Ayres Lodge Alpine
#1 of 2 in Alpine
BEST WESTERN Santee Lodge
Americas Best Value Inn - El Cajon / San Diego

Been to BEST WESTERN Courtesy Inn? Share your experiences!