“Non-smoking rooms cost extra? Great stay though”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in El Cajon
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I booked a stay last minute as I decided to come to the area earlier to avoid travel traffic before the holidays. I just booked the first standard room that came up and didn't think much of it. It turns out that the standard rooms are smoking rooms?

Non-smoking rooms are regarded as upgrades? And therefore there is an extra charge. I think this is a terrible policy and that as a non-smoker you are more likely to look after and not damage property so why charge non-smokers more? That being said when I arrived the manager did kindly allow me to have a non-smoking room and did not charge me extra for it so I was very grateful.

The room was big, clean and more than suitable for a few nights. In my room there were iron burn marks on the carpet but it's not the hotel's fault that there is this damage, it's the guests. You cannot expect the hotel to replace the whole carpet but in general I could see the hotel does care about it's appearance and general maintenance as there was evidence of recent improvements throughout the property. The hot tub was HOT and had good jets and I enjoyed using it.

There was supposedly a free breakfast included in the rate but I didn't see any evidence of where this was and was not told anything about it on check-in. There was nothing in the lobby area.

The hotel is a motel style and is set behind a busy road and garage with a rather loud car wash! The car was was only open during the day though so it wasn't an issue. There was plenty of parking available. In all I have no problems in recommending this place!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank walshyfamily
Chetan P, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks for you comments, and sorry for any confusion our smoking room and non smoking rooms have same rates, the rates are different for different room types. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our suites, I agree they are spacious and has all the amenities one needs to be comfortable. We like to thank you for posting photos of the room and the pool, they look great.

Thanks

Dipti Patel

There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East

Reviewed 27 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a place to stay for 4 or 5 nights while in town, and decided to book this Howard Johnson's on line. When I arrived at the hotel, I discovered that it was situated behind a 24 hour car wash, a taco restaurant, and a gas station with a convenience market. Although the property was clean, I was a bit worried about the surrounding neighborhood.
The room was spacious and clean, but it has been a while since it was last refurbished... older model TV that only got about 15 channels, the room needed painted and new carpet, as well as other minor maintenance issues.
The room had a small refrigerator, microwave, hair blower/dryer, iron and ironing board, and a built in 2 burner stove top. The property also had an ice machine, a clothes washer and dryer, pool and hot tub, both with handicapped chair to assist in getting in and out of both.
My stay was okay, but the neighborhood made me feel uneasy the whole time.
Would I go back? Well, I am not sure... I did feel that management was aware of the neighborhood and did their best to keep their guests safe, but I still felt uneasy there. Always be aware of your surroundings if staying there, and let management know if there is anything suspicious going on. They will not hesitate to call law enforcement if needed, and I believe that the safety of their guests is their priority.

Stayed: November 2013

Michael.

Thanks you for your comments. I am glad you liked your room, let me assure you this is safe neighborhood. Our guest's safety is our number one priority, we always walk the property to make sure everything is secured. We are very strict on who visit our property, I think this should be with all hotels no matter where they are located. Please visit us again and you will fill safe.

Thanks
Chetan Patel

Reviewed 31 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Chetan P, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Reviewed 25 October 2013

I am born and raised in San Diego. This hotel is in a bad part of town, however, cheap, so booked my nieces here for a family get together. The owner is CLUELESS about customer service. Long story short, he ended up calling the police on me. I am a middle aged mother of 2. No tatoos, no piercings, don't drink, don't smoke, went to Catholic school my whole life. Clean driving record, NEVER been to jail. Yet, this man calls the police on me. Unbelievable!!!!First off, he claimed our reservation was for 1 adult, 2 kids. Tried to charge $60 extra for my nieces husband. I verified my reservation with Get A Room.com was for 2 adults, 2 kids! Next, he asked for a $150 deposit, even tho the room was paid for 2 nights. I go get the cash, he decides to raise the deposit to $250! Tells Get A Room.com agent that I had a car load of people in my car and he just knows I am putting them all in that room. This guy has cameras of the whole property and watches your every move! My military son was coming to town that night and it was his birthday on the 20th. Lots of family from out of state coming to see my military son. NOT everyone staying at that hotel room. Some staying at my house. He assumed wrong! He then said my niece was not allowed ANY visitors. Mind you, she was from out of state and wanted her father and Uncle to visit her. This is the short version of the story as too much to write, but this foreign man comes to my country and tells me my niece is not allowed visitors in her hotel room???? I think NOT!!!! Finally he agreed to let us cancel the room and get a refund from Get A Room.com. Not before he called the police on me. The owner totally twists the story to the police, what an idiot! The officer never asked my ID and went outside with me. Told me he has problems with this owner before. What a waste of tax payer money calling the police on many occasions when it is not warranted!!!! Lastly, dealing with this jerk, I was 40 minutes late to the airport to pick up my military son who was tired from the long flight and had a guest with him. Please, take my advice and stay elsewhere. This idiot should be put out of business!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank GinaR182
Chetan P, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Gina,

Thank you for taking the time post your concerns, as most hotels we require a valid ID and credit card to check-in to our hotel. You presented three credit cards each of them were declined do to no funds in the account. At that point we asked for a cash deposit, which you were not able to pay. Typically a prepaid reservation thru third party sites is non refundable, yet we made exception and asked priceline to refund your money. You chose to hang around the lobby disrupting our guests and staff members by yelling, screaming and asking for money from other guests. You left us no alternative but to call the police and have you escorted off the property.

We are sorry that we had to call the police, but you left us no option, it is our duty to protect our guests and staff, when a guest gets out of control.

Sincerely
Dipti Patel

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights recently and it met my expectations. The hotel is located conveniently right on El Cajon blvd and is almost equidistant from the 2 freeways - I8 and CA94, so it's easy to find. The neighbourhood looked safe since it is very close to San Diego State University. The room was spacious and clean and everything worked properly. I was pleasantly surprised to find a fridge and 2 microwaves in my room - although my booking did not specify any amenities other than TV, hair dryer and coffee maker. I just wish the bathroom would have been a bit cleaner. Room service was okay and regular, the parking looked big enough and we never used the pool. The staff at the reception were very friendly and helpful. Eateries and gas stations are nearby to the hotel. San Diego downtown was 15 mins drive from the hotel and all other major attractions are within 20 mins of driving.
Overall - I had a decent stay at this place and would recommend this if you are looking for a cheap clean hotel. .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
#6 of 15 in El Cajon
Rodeway Inn Santee
Rodeway Inn Santee
#3 of 3 in Santee

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East? Share your experiences!