“Smiles and friendly service in an economy neighborhood. A hotel for the budget minded shopper.”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in El Cajon
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I made the mistake of booking at the last minute and arriving too late near sunset. Hotel lobby was spotlessly clean and the young man at the desk was professional and helpful to point out when the breakfast hours were. While in the parking lot I noticed some questionable characters at the nearby car wash. I had asked the gentleman in the lobby about the Mexican food restaurant in front of the hotel, and it turned out to be quite delicious just like he said. The room was probably one of the last ones left, as I did arrive late. I felt uneasy so the manager gave me another room on the side with the office. However this room was also one of the last ones left and it had a peculiar odor. I'm certain this odor was not the management's fault, probably a recent guest that was unclean. Everything worked properly in the room. When I turned on the air conditioner an unpleasant odor erupted from it, so I decided to leave the machine off for the night. The walls were somewhat thin and a few of the guests loud voices and rough mannerisms could be heard. Breakfast was served in a separate room located on the side of the hotel, and I could tell the guests were enjoying their breakfast. The hotel staff in the morning were also pleasant, and I felt like they truly appreciated my business.

Room Tip: Get there early. Sign up through a choicehotels membership. Dress professionally to be given a cle...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Chetan P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2014

Dear M.

Thank you for kind words, we appreciate your comments. I am so glad you enjoyed you stay and found our staff to be pleasant. I am sorry about the odor in your room and from the air conditioning unit. I will make sure it is cleaned and taken care off for our future guests.

I am glad you enjoyed the taco shop, they do have authentic Mexican food and are open till late. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Diego area, and yes we do appreciate your business.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Was in town for my nieces wedding and this is where she booked us. I was a little concerned because when you talked to them on the phone they didn't seem very friendly and i got different answers, however this was just the opposite in person. They were very friendly and helpful and accommodating as I arrived very early before my Room was to be ready and in about 10 min it was done. Room was very clean and only complaint is they never left enough towels for the people. Much more then I expected due to the prices.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Jeanna,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. I glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and found your room to be very clean. Our housekeeper will appreciate this comment, they work very hard to keep these rooms clean.

Our housekeeper usually puts two sets of towels in a king room and four sets in room with two beds, additional towels are available if needed. I will make sure housekeeping understands this and they put proper count of towels in each room. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Diego area.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

San Diego was booked full and just felt luck to find a room.
The cost was a little high for the quality of the room but when any hotel is down to the last few rooms and every body is booked I am glad it didn't cost me more

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I am glad you found a room during a very busy time in San Diego. In July due to demand for rooms in San Diego the rates tends to go up, specially if there is a large convention during July. To get the best bang for the buck it is best to visit Oct-April. I hope you stay with us again on your next stay.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

The front desk personnel and the management needs some customer service training (actually they need a lot if it). Just after I checked in to the property I observed a couple being evicted because they were trying to ask for a room that was not right off the stairway since they had a small baby who awoke easily. After the front desk clerk was quite rude to them the manager joined in and told them they he did not want on the property at all and that they had to leave. This happened at 11:00 PM and they had no where else to stay for the night. They were in town for an international soccer event. They were a middle European couple who had strong accents and the desk clerk had no patience for them at all. I would have switched rooms with them but was afraid to suggest it since with his attitude I felt that I would have been evicted too. Otherwise, very large clean rooms and very limited breakfast choices.

Room Tip: Very tight parking. Do not bring any type of trailer or very large vehicle to this property.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 337bobb

Dear Bob.

Thank you for giving us your feed back. It is not our policy to evict guest because they want to change the room. I am sure there was a misunderstanding if would like to discuss this please call me at the hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found our room be large clean and comfortable. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Diego area.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I dont normally complain but this was a little out of ordinary for me as i have been to many hotels/
motels. 1st we attempted to check in early as we try to do at most hotels/motels i stay at. We were treated rudely and told you can never check in early maybe this is their policy but the way it was
addressed to us was very condescending and rude. We were told to come back at 3:00 pm. We
arrived back at 3:00 pm on the nose 1 other guest was in lobby but somehow the whole parking lot was full of cars.Yea i know possibly weekend stays. Again the new staff person said our room was still 20mins from being done so another wait.Now upon returning to the lobby he is with another set of clients he finishes with them and procedes to call housekeeping to check on rooms he gets a reply of 4 rooms that are now ready so now im puzzled as to why i had to wait if now 4 rooms are ready when i know they didnt clean 4 rooms in 20mins.Again its jsut the attitude and rudeness of the employee. We check in go to our room and was pleasantly surprised the room was clean and operational the beds were very comfortable and plenty of pillows.So that part of our stay was exceptional. The breakfast room was very small it was located in what was once a room for hotel and was very cramped 2 guests almost got into a fist fight over bumping into each other. So in closing the room was great the staff jsut needs to use more courtesy in dealing with their customers

Room Tip: get room towards rear of hotel some hotel guests were complaing of car wash noise
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Bill,

Thank you for giving us your feedback, I am glad you found your room to be nice clean and comfortable. I am so sorry the front desk could not check you in early. We have 5 different room types at the hotel, if you heard the housekeeping saying room were clean most probably they were not the same room type you had booked. I wish my staff had explained this to you. I will work with them and make sure they understand how important clear communication is to great service. I do apologize for the situation and hope you will give us another try.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

The manager is one of the blunt, rude, and unwilling person I've encountered in quite some time. I spoke to him on the phone 3 times and every time it was the same. I've worked in this industry and know that this hotel did the bare minimum to retain their econolodge name. I don't care about flat screen TVs but this hotel did not do it in their renovations. The AC was off when we went into the room so it was blazing hot in there. They want 10$ for ANY extra person in the room..not quite sure what for since they don't have a breakfast? These aren't horrible things but it shows how much management cares about guests pleasure vs. Entirely making money. For the most part the room was okay. Ceiling in bathroom molding was the only other thing i saw wrong.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 1mnwlfpk
Chetan P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I am sorry you felt I was rude, frankly I don't even recall speaking with you. You mention the hotel charges $10 per extra person and does not offer breakfast. This is false. we do offer free continental breakfast to all our guest. To exceed guest expectation we go above and beyond by offering more items than required by brand, such as hot waffles. As per extra person charge, this is an industry standard. I hope you stop by and see our hotel, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised. Please call the hotel if you need to discuss this further, I will be happy to speak to you.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Our room was huge (handicapped room) and the bathroom very accommodating to anyone who might be wheelchair bound. It was right off the freeway although it is sort of far out of downtown San Diego if that is your destination. I would recommend they extend the hours of breakfast to 10:00 am for those who sleep a little later. They were already closed and cleaning at 9:25 so we did miss the perk of "free breakfast". Would stay there again for the price. Our non-smoking room did smell like someone had been smoking and a little "musty" but for the money it was more than we expected. It was clean, staff was friendly and the bed was comfortable.:

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Charlene,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found our room to be large, clean and comfortable. You will be happy to hear we have made some changes to our breakfast offerings by adding, make it yourself hot waffles, this has been a big hit. We hope to see you soon again.

Thanks