“Room questionable, front desk staff clueless.”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in El Cajon
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Room questionable, front desk staff clueless.”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Booked my rooms (4 nights) 2 months in advance through the website. Said 5 people -- 2 queens and a rollaway. Arrived (luckily) at 5PM to a desk clerk who (when asked) if the rollaway was in place said "It should be, but if not, just let me know". When we got into the room, 2 queens, no rollaway. My daughter called the front desk and was told them didn't have any as they gave them all out and (quote), you 'll have to share a bed or sleep on the floor. I called Corporate Customer Service while she argued on the phone with the front desk. NOTE: Choice Privilege account since 1999. Customer Service spent over 1 1/2 hours trying to work with this hotel. Didn't happen, so they booked us in a Quality Inn El Cajon for the 4 nights (another nightmare -- see that write up -- not the fault of Customer Service). We left after I told the desk clerk that they need to straighten up their act. NOTE 2: Seems Quality Inn and lower on the Choice Hotel list of hotels cannot deal with more than 4 people, people in general, or general customer service issues. Do not recommend this hotel. Do not recommend any Choice Hotels in the El Cajon area.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LWarmwater
Chetan P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this review, 16 October 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I apologize for not having a rollaway bed ready for you when you arrived. One of our guest that had a rollaway extended his stay and we could not put one in your room. Once I found out about this I went to another hotel near by and borrowed one for you. However you had left the property by the time I got back. I do apologize for the situation. I hope you will give us another try.

Chetan Patel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Montana City, Montana
Reviewed 27 July 2014

When you get off the interstate... this hotel is actually behind a gas station and car wash....
The room was very spacious and nice.
Staff was helpful.
Close to a few casinos that are very large. Which if you are into gambling is awesome.

Room Tip: Cheapest hotel for miles.... Nice breakfast....
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pansy77th
Dear Guest,

I am glad you found us, yes I agree we are little hard to find tucked away from the main street, yet our location is close to all that San Diego has to offer, such as Casinos and other attractions. I am so glad you found our rooms to be spacious and nice along with helpful staff. I hope you won some money at the Casino. We hope to see you soon again.

El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I made the mistake of booking at the last minute and arriving too late near sunset. Hotel lobby was spotlessly clean and the young man at the desk was professional and helpful to point out when the breakfast hours were. While in the parking lot I noticed some questionable characters at the nearby car wash. I had asked the gentleman in the lobby about the Mexican food restaurant in front of the hotel, and it turned out to be quite delicious just like he said. The room was probably one of the last ones left, as I did arrive late. I felt uneasy so the manager gave me another room on the side with the office. However this room was also one of the last ones left and it had a peculiar odor. I'm certain this odor was not the management's fault, probably a recent guest that was unclean. Everything worked properly in the room. When I turned on the air conditioner an unpleasant odor erupted from it, so I decided to leave the machine off for the night. The walls were somewhat thin and a few of the guests loud voices and rough mannerisms could be heard. Breakfast was served in a separate room located on the side of the hotel, and I could tell the guests were enjoying their breakfast. The hotel staff in the morning were also pleasant, and I felt like they truly appreciated my business.

Room Tip: Get there early. Sign up through a choicehotels membership. Dress professionally to be given a cle...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear M.

Thank you for kind words, we appreciate your comments. I am so glad you enjoyed you stay and found our staff to be pleasant. I am sorry about the odor in your room and from the air conditioning unit. I will make sure it is cleaned and taken care off for our future guests.

I am glad you enjoyed the taco shop, they do have authentic Mexican food and are open till late. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Diego area, and yes we do appreciate your business.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Was in town for my nieces wedding and this is where she booked us. I was a little concerned because when you talked to them on the phone they didn't seem very friendly and i got different answers, however this was just the opposite in person. They were very friendly and helpful and accommodating as I arrived very early before my Room was to be ready and in about 10 min it was done. Room was very clean and only complaint is they never left enough towels for the people. Much more then I expected due to the prices.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Jeanna,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. I glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and found your room to be very clean. Our housekeeper will appreciate this comment, they work very hard to keep these rooms clean.

Our housekeeper usually puts two sets of towels in a king room and four sets in room with two beds, additional towels are available if needed. I will make sure housekeeping understands this and they put proper count of towels in each room. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Diego area.

Visalia, California
Reviewed 16 July 2014

San Diego was booked full and just felt luck to find a room.
The cost was a little high for the quality of the room but when any hotel is down to the last few rooms and every body is booked I am glad it didn't cost me more

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I am glad you found a room during a very busy time in San Diego. In July due to demand for rooms in San Diego the rates tends to go up, specially if there is a large convention during July. To get the best bang for the buck it is best to visit Oct-April. I hope you stay with us again on your next stay.

Travellers are raving about these El Cajon hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The front desk personnel and the management needs some customer service training (actually they need a lot if it). Just after I checked in to the property I observed a couple being evicted because they were trying to ask for a room that was not right off the stairway since they had a small baby who awoke easily. After the front desk clerk was quite rude to them the manager joined in and told them they he did not want on the property at all and that they had to leave. This happened at 11:00 PM and they had no where else to stay for the night. They were in town for an international soccer event. They were a middle European couple who had strong accents and the desk clerk had no patience for them at all. I would have switched rooms with them but was afraid to suggest it since with his attitude I felt that I would have been evicted too. Otherwise, very large clean rooms and very limited breakfast choices.

Room Tip: Very tight parking. Do not bring any type of trailer or very large vehicle to this property.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 337bobb
Dear Bob.

Thank you for giving us your feed back. It is not our policy to evict guest because they want to change the room. I am sure there was a misunderstanding if would like to discuss this please call me at the hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found our room be large clean and comfortable. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Diego area.

Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I dont normally complain but this was a little out of ordinary for me as i have been to many hotels/
motels. 1st we attempted to check in early as we try to do at most hotels/motels i stay at. We were treated rudely and told you can never check in early maybe this is their policy but the way it was
addressed to us was very condescending and rude. We were told to come back at 3:00 pm. We
arrived back at 3:00 pm on the nose 1 other guest was in lobby but somehow the whole parking lot was full of cars.Yea i know possibly weekend stays. Again the new staff person said our room was still 20mins from being done so another wait.Now upon returning to the lobby he is with another set of clients he finishes with them and procedes to call housekeeping to check on rooms he gets a reply of 4 rooms that are now ready so now im puzzled as to why i had to wait if now 4 rooms are ready when i know they didnt clean 4 rooms in 20mins.Again its jsut the attitude and rudeness of the employee. We check in go to our room and was pleasantly surprised the room was clean and operational the beds were very comfortable and plenty of pillows.So that part of our stay was exceptional. The breakfast room was very small it was located in what was once a room for hotel and was very cramped 2 guests almost got into a fist fight over bumping into each other. So in closing the room was great the staff jsut needs to use more courtesy in dealing with their customers

Room Tip: get room towards rear of hotel some hotel guests were complaing of car wash noise
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Bill,

Thank you for giving us your feedback, I am glad you found your room to be nice clean and comfortable. I am so sorry the front desk could not check you in early. We have 5 different room types at the hotel, if you heard the housekeeping saying room were clean most probably they were not the same room type you had booked. I wish my staff had explained this to you. I will work with them and make sure they understand how important clear communication is to great service. I do apologize for the situation and hope you will give us another try.