“You're paying for location, not for a class hotel.”

Yosemite View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in El Portal
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Literally a few hundred yards outside of the park border, and right on the Merced River...meaning your river view balcony isn't a quiet place for conversation...rapids, even in July, were loud, but not loud enough to prevent sleep (the noisy air conditioner fit that bill). The rooms are dated but clean. All we wanted was a place to crash for the night and conveniently re-enter the park first thing in the morning, This place fit that bill just fine, and because of that you'll pay urban Hilton rates for a Super8 kind of room. Hey, it's Yosemite, there aren't that many options. We knew that going in so it wasn't a disappointment. I think next visit to the park will be either an RV or a vacation rental place as there are no hotel accommodations available that can offer value tcomparable to what can be found with research in other less remote vacation destinations.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank InTheHollow
Write a ReviewReviews (4,098)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This place has a lot of potential but.... This place needs new management. You know, someone who cares about their customers. The room rates were extremely high and the rooms were filthy. The room door was difficult to open and once we got it open it wouldn't stay closed unless we dead bolted it. No towels in the room and when we asked for towels we got small hand towels but lots of them. There was no remote control for the T.V. in the room. The air conditioner didn't work very well. There were no coffee cups but had a coffee maker. Only had a one drinking cup. They have a little store there that sells some groceries but is extremely over priced. One twelve pack of Coors beer was $20. The hot tub that we used (they have several) was a cold tub with a stunning view of the river. Pizza across the way was yummy and had great prices.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This motel is in desperate need of a new manager, one who has an inkling about providing customer service. On a recent visit with a tour group, I checked into my room at about 5pm and noticed the room was very hot so I adjusted the A/C setting to help cool the room. There was a beautiful view in the rear from the balcony of the Merced River and I looked forward to spending some time on the balcony after dinner. My wife and I went to the restaurant, each had a cheeseburger platter and a salad. The tab with tip was $46. The cheeseburger was good but not worth the $14.99 it cost. No biggie, this is, after all a tourist area.
We returned to the room and it was as miserable as it had been an hour earlier, like an oven.
I called the front desk and let the phone ring at least twenty times, no answer. I waited about five minutes, called the front desk again , let it ring at least twenty times, no answer.
I waited a few minutes, called again and counted the rings. After ninety-three rings with no answer I hung the phone up and walked the couple hundred yards to the lobby. I walked in and saw about three people helping customers and one individual standing unoccupied. He asked if he could help me. I replied that he could have helped by answering the phone when it rang. He replied that "we have been very busy" I explained that my A/C wasn't working and after consulting with another person there, he told me he would send a maintenance man right away. I thanked him and returned to my room. After about thirty minutes nobody showed up. I tried calling again, no answer. Finally a man showed up walked into the room, looked at the A/C settings and told me he would get me another room in the same building. Then he called the front desk. Surprise, Surprise, no answer. He left and said he would bring me another room key. I never saw him again. Finally I found out the tour director's room number and called her. She went to the front desk and was told "We have been very busy". finally after about three hours I was put in another room, in another building, not overlooking the river and that was fine. I just wanted someone to give a hoot . It seems ridiculous that "We have been busy" makes everything ok. If the building is on fire, if there is a guest having a heart attack, if there is a shooting in the parking lot, that's ok if you can't contact the front desk because they have, after all, " been busy". I feel confidant that the owner of this hotel would not find this excuse acceptable. I would drive three days to avoid ever being stuck in this place again.

Room Tip: Drive past it as fast as you can.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WilliamR626
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I recently spent a lovely June week enjoying Yosemite with Yosemite View Lodge as our home base - we were very satisfied. The property was clean, the staff was professional, the rates were reasonable, and the facilities more than met our expectations.

The complex has two restaurants on site - a pizza place with outside seating and a nicer restaurant. We ate at both more than once and were satisfied with the food (good salad bars) and service. There is a small grocery (with spirits) just off the lobby, a laundry room (ask for change and purchase soap at the grocery), and three clean pools with hot tubs - our only disappointment was that not all the hot tubs were working (but the ones that were, heaven!!, after a day of hiking).

Our room was spacious and included a kitchen area - small fridge, microwave, stove, coffeemaker (with coffee) and dishes. The beds and pillows were fresh and comfy, and the housekeeping staff was polite, quick and thorough. The bath was larger than the norm; the air conditioning was as cold as you want it.

What truly won my heart was the balcony overlooking the Merced River. Beginning and ending the day listening to the water music and watching the birds, chipmunks, squirrels (and one fly fisherman) created the perfect, peaceful Yosemite mood.

The hotel is less than a mile from a 24 hour gas station and from park boundaries, two miles from the ranger station, and twelve miles to the heart of Yosemite Valley. We loved it.

Room Tip: Second or third floor riverview rooms have more private balconies than the ground floor rooms (due t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dneumann
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel rooms are old but provide enough space. We had a river view with small balcony on the 1st floor. The bed was not OK. My back suffered from sleeping here. Happy to leave after two nights. Other hotels in the park are too expensive, so guess this was the best solution, eventhough too expensive for the value one gets

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank vaneeck
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed three nights. Ate at the restaurant and pizza place. Both were good.
The decor is very 70s . Once you get past that - it's fine. It has all you need in this location - big rooms, on site shop and laundrette. Talking of the location, it's perfect. Just a few hundred yards from the park boundary.
We were awoken on our final night by water dripping through our ceiling. After a little persuasion the staff relocated us next door. I think this sums it up - great location, staff helpfully but building in need of renovation. Pleased we visited - mainly due to location.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank trecynon
Reviewed 20 July 2014

A fabulous place to rest your head after an amazing day in Yosemite! Okay so it is in need of modernisation but overall clean and great size rooms. The hotel shops is very very expensive so fill up on groceries before hand if you plan to have snacks and make picnics for your trip outs! Staff friendly enough and my kids loved the swimming pool...albeit no life guards on duty! Great location would return.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
The Majestic Yosemite Hotel
The Majestic Yosemite Hotel
#1 of 3 in Yosemite National Park
Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn

Been to Yosemite View Lodge? Share your experiences!