4,427 results
All reviews river view park entrance merced river pizza parlor small kitchenette spa bath double shower closest hotel stove top convenience store indoor pool gas fireplace view room mini kitchen kitchen area minute drive general store
Reviewed 6 May 2006

The Lodge is not the prettiest hotel I have ever stayed in. In fact on first viewing it looks more like a barracks from the outside! That said, internally it was great. I tried to get a room in the newer block, as advised by other members but failed so I wondered what our room would be like, however I was pleasently surprised. The room was large, comfortable, and had a very nice bathroom.
We ate in the dining room there on both nights of our stay and found it excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. After a rather cold and wet day in Yosemite valley, it was lovely to come back to a large ,well cooked steak and a bottle of red wine!
At only 15 minutes drive outside of the park, it is well situated, and in our opinion well worth a visit!

7  Thank prettybullet
Reviewed 26 April 2006

We stayed here Friday, April 21, 2006.

Price - From April to October, it's high rate season. They didn't offer any discounts. Rates are also $20 more for a river room -$179 compared to a mountain view room- $159. I called and booked a two queen river view room for $179. When I arrived, I asked to have a downstairs room in the new building. Apparently, the new building is $20 more, but because of mix up with the desk clerk, they gave it to me for $189. Rates are also higher Friday and the weekends.

Old vs. New Building - The new building was built in 2005. I never saw a room in the old building, but they said the difference is in the fireplace and the size of the room. The old building has a log fireplace (that do not have logs). The new building has gas fireplaces that give off a fair amount of heat. That was nice as it rained off and on, and it was a little chilly. The desk clerk said customers have said the old rooms have slight more space, but she wasn't sure. Anyway, if you enjoy new things, you'll be happier in the new building. Carpet and decor were extremely new and nice for Yosemite. I'm not sure which rooms have spas and which don't. I suspect that some of the top floors do not have spas in the bathrooms due to the weight issue. The spa is huge. It comes with a tub rolled pillow and was so relaxing. My husband want to get one for our home. The bathroom had granite counter tops as well as granite in the shower area. Shower has two showerheads.

Mountain View vs. River View - The river view is nice, but really not that essential like all the other reviews wrote about, especially if you don't spend that much time at the hotel. I mean if you go to Yosemite, you'll have plenty of scenic beauty and see lots of the river and falls. So if you don't get the river view, you won't miss that much. You can always take an evening stroll in the back of the hotel if you want to see the river. Although you can hear the river from your room, once you close the sliding door, it was a low hum which was amazing considering the river was probably at it's peak.

Location - It's much better to stay at this hotel in El Portal than to stay at Tenaya Hotel in Fish Camp. It's about an hour drive to the valley from Fish Camp and only 15 minutes from El Portal.

Food - I took the past reviews advice and ate at the hotel's Little Bear's Pizza. Pizza was good. A large pizza 1 topping - $16.55, 2 toppings $18.15, 3 toppings $19.75, and 4 toppings - $21.35. They also sell salads and deli sandwiches. All prices were reasonable. We made sure we brought food with us for breakfast and ate in the room. The kitchen was stocked with four plates, utensils, and cups. In Yosemite, we ate lunch at the grill where they had hamburgers, hotdogs, and fish sandwiches. Prices there were also reasonable and food was good.

If you only have one day in Yosemite, spend it in the valley. Walk to Bridal Veil falls, walk to the Lower Yosemite falls, take pictures of El Capitan, walk into the Awhanee hotel, see the 30 minute film at the Yosemite Center, walk thru the Ansel Gallery, and walk up to Vernal Falls. My daugher and I only walked to the bridge. My son and husband walked all the way to the base of Vernal Falls. I thought it was a little slippery and dangerous for my liking. Have fun. We did.

18  Thank socalif
Reviewed 22 April 2006

Fantsatic! Better than we expected. I would advise you ask for a river view if not already allocated. Pay if you need to. It only cost us $20 a night. Resturant is great and not as expensive as it looks. Go on the trips from the desk in the lobby. Jeff arranged everything. Ask for a guide called "Ira" he was great. For excellent food not far away go to the "BUG Hostal"

6  Thank SallySAW
Reviewed 18 April 2006

After reading reviews on Tripadvisor we booked the Yosemite View Lodge as it certainly seemed to be the best value accommodation in the vicinity of the park.
We were generally pleased with our large, river view rooms, but a note of warning about the jacuzzi bath. Ours was huge, and there lay the problem, the jacuzzi controls were not working and as a result the jets were set on full power, my husband had to stretch to reach the off switch while battling against the powerful jets! As the bath didn't have a non-slip surface this was almost a death defying feat!!
We had one meal in the restaurant, and although the food was adequate it was definitely over priced. We didn't think the restaurant was very clean either, so ate out the second night at the Ahwahnee which was superb, and not too much more expensive.
I notice a previous reviewer described the Yosemite View Lodge as the highlight of their trip. I agree that its location is good, and the rooms large, but our bathroom was very dated, and there were some health and safety issues which need to be addressed. Our dining experience was below par for the price charged, so I would rate it as average.

5  Thank hackette
Reviewed 11 April 2006

I have visited Yosemite about 7 times over the last 4 years, and always stayed at the Yosemite Bug Hostel because of their low price. This time, I paid more to stay at the Yosemite View Lodge, and it was worth every dollar. The rooms are comfortable, and most have this beautiful river view. Compared to the National Park Service Yosemite Lodge inside the park, it has everything and MORE. It is much more quiet, peaceful, and only about a 15 minute drive into the park. The in-room kitchenette is awesome.,,they have everything you need to make dinner, from a cutting board, plates, glasses, wine bottle opener, colander, knives, pot/pans/skillets etc. The best part is the numerous out-door (and indoor) hottubs...nothing is better than a day of hiking followed up by a glass of wine in the spa. The restaurant is WAY overpriced, so stock up on some groceries to cook in your room. Also, the rooms have a GIANT spa tub with 2 shower heads on either side of the tub. Perfect for romantic baths...
Overall, I HIGHLY reccommend it! Will definitely go back. Email me if you have questions: sth4242@yahoo.com.

7  Thank Inspire20333