“perfect stay”

Ranked #1 of 5 Elk B&B and Inns
Elk Grove, California
“perfect stay”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My husband and I just returned from our stay at Elk Cove Inn and Spa. We spent there 2 nights and stayed in the L.E. White junior suite. We loved our room, the view from the room was magnificent. Breakfast was wonderful, the hotel staff was very helpful. We enjoyed our stay, it was perfect for our romantic getaway. We'll be back some day!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Davis, California
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent 5 days and 4 nights in Elk. The Inn was a wonderful and peaceful place to crash each night, after spending the days hiking and kayaking. Our view of the cove was spectacular from our room, too, and we felt like we also had a great deal of privacy (Sam McCanse Suite). Breakfast each morning was delicious and extremely filling. ;-) Elaine and the innkeepers were also so attentive to anything we might need or desire! It was a great stay, and maybe we'll be back some day!

• Stayed August 2013
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We had a great time on the coast staying here, it is peaceful and quiet. There is a great view; interesting history and a great breakfast. We also used the Spa which was excellent, I previously had a dislocated shoulder and restricted movement, after the massage I was sore but a lot of the range of movement had returned I am very grateful for the deep tissue massage and attention I received.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 July 2013

A planned trip fell through...and we had a weekend to kill...and decided to escape the heat of the Bay Area for some cool down of the North Coast. I called the Inn on short notice and was pleasantly informed that they had a room for the weekend. I accepted...and was discounted 15% off the rack rate for last minute reservation.

Its a beautiful drive and the Inn is right on the bluff with a lovely ocean setting. The Innkeepers were delightful and really have nothing but positives about the interactions.

We were in the SurfSong...on the bluff...with a lovely view. My guess is one of the original buildings judging from the condition. The queen bed was a small queen but comfortable. The breakfasts each day were filling and varied. The welcome cookies were a nice touch.

Here is why 3 stars instead of 5..the room was about 250 SF with an attached bathroom where the ceiling was about 75" tall. I am 6-2 and had to stoop to shave and use the facilities...not ideal for a bad lower back...in addition...the bathroom had a microwave and coffee pot in it...and had a mini-fridge in there. Had the closet been in the bathroom it would have reminded me of my first apartment after undergrad. My other gripe is that they did not tell me they were hosting a wedding while we were there...granted, a small one...but, still...that's a disclosure that should have been made at the time of reservation.

My GF and I like each other...so, the close confines did not bother us...but I can see how it could be claustraphobic for some. Now, in true disclosure...we were told the room was "cozy"...but c'mon...for $300/night?...the view isn't that fabulous.

I wanted to like this place more than I did...it just didn't meet my expectations.

4 Thank JC F
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stranded in Elk! And the Innkeepers were such helpful great people: we felt at home instantly.
The happy Hour, the Breakfast, the Room itself with a fireplace: it is just a Dream. A romantic Wild Coast - one of the Highlights of our Trip to California.

Room Tip: Alle Zimmer sind super, aber Meerblick in die Bucht ist empfehlenswert.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My partner and I along with our little min pin loved this inn on the coast and the Hideaway room we stayed in. After killing several spiders which is not uncommon in a forest type environment, we enjoyed our stay and the EXCELLENT service we received. The continental breakfast we enjoyed was far and beyond any continental we have ever experienced. It was actually a full breakfast with the continental title. The views are Million dollar from the property and dining room. When you visit a place like this on vacation, you don't want nor should you need cellular service. For emergencies or for those that just can't relax and leave the world behind there is a house phone available for all free of charge. You can even use magic jack through the free Wifi on the property. WOW. Love this place. They provided all the fixings for a beach fire without additional charge. This was great. Even though the beach is public, the town is so small that you may only run into others from the Inn on the beach; making it really a private beach for the resort. The room so far more superior to that of the Marriott and made us feel as though we were home in our own bedroom. The large flat screen TV with satellite and the directions on how to use them is like nothing I have ever seen in all of our travels. The Elk left nothing to chance. I could not believe how large the bathroom was and the shower; which is large enough for 3-4 people-not suggesting anything. The staff is very gay friendly. The town itself is gay friendly as there is at least 2 gay run businesses in this very small town. Maybe both are owned by the same person; in either case display a very large rainbow flag on the front of their businesses. Our little child (min pin) was welcomed everywhere without question. I will always cherish our time spent in Elk. Thank you Elk Cove Inn for a wonderful time and experience.

Room Tip: Know this is a small Bed and Breakfast type experience. Don't look for bell boys, car hops or to...
Southern California
Reviewed 12 July 2013

All of the raves are well deserved. This is a friendly, comfortable inn, situated in a spectacular location. The amenities are terrific, the breakfast is outstanding (creative, different from the usual fare), the staff is cordial. Appreciated the gift basket, the happy hour treats, the upper deck and gaming room, the gazebo overlooking the cove. Perfect. My wife and I stopped over on our way up the California coast, and would go back again, for sure. Tip: Although the rooms are kind of pricey, there is one room in the main building that is more modestly priced--cozy but very nice.

Room Tip: Tip: Although the rooms are kind of pricey, there is one room in the main building that is more mode...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elk
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#1 of 25 in Mendocino
Stanford Inn by the Sea
Stanford Inn by the Sea
#6 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to The Elk Cove Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!