“Absolutly wounderful all around”

The Elk Cove Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Elk B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

By far the best B&B I have stayed in. The staff super friendly and helpful, very clean,many little surprises such as the welcome basket, the sherry and chocolate in our room. But I can not express how outstanding the breakfast was, combined with a breath taking view I did not want to leave. I be back!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Any one experience here at the Inn would make it an all-time favorite: gourmet breakfast, delicious view of the cove from our breakfast table, sweet doe we met on our hike to town, cypress trees whispering in the breeze, or the fabulous massahhhhhhhhhge. What makes ELk Cove Inn the BEST is innkeeper Elaine, who greets us with a hug, her inimitable accent, and her 5-foot (if that) cuteness! We feel as if the spirit of Boomer and Asta prevailed, now that some rooms are pet friendly. My best friend and I plan to return for 20 more.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank haveopinionwilltrvl
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Perfect. I couldn't fault it. Cheerful, helpful staff, fabulous location, great rooms and the best breakfast in California. Stayed three nights and wished we had stayed longer. The rugged, almost private, cove was suitably mysterious in the morning mists and a wonderful setting for this interesting B&B . A perfect base to visit the vineyards and forests with some thigh tingling local walks. Our favourite Hotel/B&B on our 2 week, 6 location stay in CA.

Room Tip: They are all great value.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stopped for just one night, but wish we had time to stay longer. The people were all great--the staff and guests all friendly. The views from the property were beautiful, even with overcast skies. A short walk down the hill took you to what seemed a private beach with a few picnic tables--great for sharing some snacks and a bottle of wine (provided in the welcome basket)! They thought of so many nice things---the bottle of wine, homemade cookies, bag of popcorn, chocolate and Port wine by the bed, happy hour, and the best part--the fantastic breakfast buffet! Nothing else like it! We were very happy in Molly's Garden room, a less expensive option, but the rooms with a patio overlooking the ocean would be a great splurge. I would have been happy for hours just relaxing with a good book there, taking a 10 minute walk to town for dinner and maybe getting a spa treatment...next trip up north. A destination in itself!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We had simply the best time. And all of the lovely ladies who run the space were phenomenal. From Elaine to Mary to Patty, to our lovely massage therapists Peggy and the british woman who's name I forget, they were all so super-helpful, smiley, and added a lot to the day. And the venue and view and bonfire on the beach and little extras in the room and amazing breakfast, all added to just a perfect weekend. Thank you!!

Room Tip: The cottages are our favorite. Especially Surfsong, even though it's the smallest. So beautiful.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RebeccaBrian
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed here on short notice after cancelling a trip to Yosemite National Park because of the Rim Fire. When we booked, the only rooms available were on the high end of the price scale, but the Inn was running a special, so we booked a room. The location is about 20 miles south of Mendocino and is right on a bluff overlooking the ocean. A number of rooms have an ocean view. We stayed in the Seascape room (in the main house), a large room with a king size bed and private bath with a shower only. There was a gas fireplace in the room as well as a love seat and chair and ottoman. We could hear the waves crashing all night and had excellent views of the ocean from our room. It was wonderful. The Bayview room next door is larger with a much bigger bathroom, but the view is not as good and overlooks the parking pad. We were greeted with a lovely welcome basket of wine, strawberries and homemade cookies. The décor is a little stuck in the 1970s (I think that is the worst thing I can say about Elk Cove), but it is rustic and comfortable and we had everything we needed. There was no television in our room (although there is one in a common area and some rooms have televisions) and pretty much no cell phone service (common along the Mendocino coast), but there is free high speed internet service available. I jumped for joy when I saw a Keurig coffeemaker in our room as I wake up early and need my coffee. There are also fresh flowers, chocolates, and port in the rooms. While our room was around $300, there are smaller rooms with queen beds and no ocean view. That would be a good alternative for someone on a budget who still wanted to take advantage of the scenic Mendocino coast and this beautiful property. I can’t say enough good things about the breakfast, a buffet with juices, fruit, yogurt, cereals, egg dishes, oatmeal, and meats—something for every appetite. There is also a happy hour from 4-6 p.m. each evening that features wines and ingredients for mixed drinks as well as cheese and crackers. The owner was an excellent source of hiking suggestions, and all the staff were gracious, welcoming and friendly. Elk is a good base for traveling north to Fort Bragg and Mendocino and south to Point Arena and wineries. There are two reasonably good restaurants within walking distance of the Inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PhoenixRobin
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I recently stayed at this B&B with my family in August 2013 and this place met our expectations and then some. All the staff is so warm and friendly and treats you like family. The place is very romantic and charming. Their happy hour was more then I expected with complimentary wine, drinks, and snacks. They make this delicious dip to serve with crackers and even give you the recipe! Actually ALL the food was outstanding and freshly made. I highly recommend this beautiful place tucked away in Elk, CA. And hope to be back to visit again soon. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so special.

Room Tip: There rooms range in price for the view, but I can tell you the views of the mountains, ocean, and g...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elk
North Cliff Hotel
#6 of 25 in Mendocino
Country Inn Bed & Breakfast
Country Inn Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 11 in Fort Bragg

Been to The Elk Cove Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!