“Elk Cove Inn is OPEN again - and Wonderful!”

The Elk Cove Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Elk B&B and Inns
Palo Alto
“Elk Cove Inn is OPEN again - and Wonderful!”
Reviewed 12 August 2008

As of June 14th, 2008.
We used to come to Elk Cove Inn often years ago, but stopped when it was sold a few years back.
Now, the previous wonderful owner has taken the Inn back and just re-opened it!
We had an incredible stay - maybe the best spur of the moment weekend vacation I've ever had.
Short version: Elk Cove Inn under the new/old management is back to being one of the absolute best places to stay on the Mendocino Coast.
Here is a (long) summary of the weekend.
We got one of the huge oceanfront suites, (Baron Room) with our own balcony overlooking the ocean and the rocks. The room has a king size bed and the linens are
the thickest and softest I have ever slept on. You also get a thick bathrobe. There were chocolate chip cookies waiting. Yum!
It has a working (gas) fireplace with a remote, HEATED bathroom floors - I am so going to get this in my bathroom! - and a jacuzzi type tub. There's a
small frig and micro, and of course coffee/tea stuff. There's a small sofa, and a nice fabric chair, and the room doesn't feel crammed. Everything was
very clean, and smelled fresh.
The first afternoon, to relax from the trip up from the Bay Area,
I had a massage from Donna, the Spa Director, who also does acupuncture, and a facial. 75 minutes for the massage, very good. Donna is
friendly enough, but not so chatty that you don't relax. Didn't try the acupuncture. Robes were provided, and they have a beautiful sitting area
overlooking the ocean where they serve tea after the massage. And, a steam shower after my facial.
The staff here are just terrific. Whatever you want (an extra chocolate cookie?) they just smile and say of course!
They didn't have the free afternoon wine and hors d'oeuvres this weekend - Elaine, the owner, said they are waiting for the license to get transferred which should be soon.
So, instead, we strolled into the cute little town of Elk, to buy a bottle of wine and some snacks to drink and eat while watching the sunset. In town, there's a "General Store", a Garden Shop, another gift-y type shop with pretty nice clothes and outerwear, a new Art Gallery, a Pub, a roadhouse kind of
lunch place called Queenies (packed both days) and another restaurant.
It's been foggy on the coast (which is why we are escaping the inland heat) but we had a couple of hours of blue sky to walk down the private steps to
the beach, before the fog rolled back in and we came back to our room. We took the wine out to the balcony, then moved back inside and turned on the fireplace to finish it off with the
snacks.
Didn't eat at either restaurant or the Pub, as the snacks and wine were enough.
Had a really good night sleep in the excellent bed, and it was also very quiet. Heard some frogs from somewhere, that's about all.
Next morning (Sunday), slept late! No one bothered us, and went to the main building ( a huge restored Victorian house) for the breakfast buffet. Huge. Delicious. Stuff like southern biscuits, croissants (fresh!) ham, I had a made to order omelet, juice, and some really delicious corn pudding. I ate too
much. One more stroll down to the ocean to try to walk some of the calories off, and then we had to check out.
Elaine, the old/new owner came over to say thanks and I have to say, it really sounded sincere. Maybe it's her southern accent, but, she strikes me as the kind of person who genuinely cares that the guest have a great time.
Now that she is back running the place, we definitely plan to return. I'm looking forward to the afternoon wine and hors d'oeuvres and another massage.
The room rate (luxury oceanfront King suite, including breakfast - weekend prices, last minute) was $395/night, but we got 10% off from Elaine. She told us the rate is lower during the week.
The massage cost $125.
To sum up, the re-opened Elk Cove Inn is just about the perfect B&B experience.

• Liked — comfortable luxury, really clean and in good condition, exceptional staff, fantastic oceanfront location
  • Disliked — I really don't have any complaints. Elaine, the owner, is really good at running a B&B. She's thought of everything.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NHampstead

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
kilardi@optonline.net
Reviewed 10 August 2008

My husband and I stayed at Elk Cove Inn for 3 days in July. I can't say enough about what a wonderful time we had staying there. The owner, Elaine, is very charming and helpful, and hospitable. She made excellent suggestions about activities, dining, day trips, etc. The food was superior, the room lovely, and views fantastic. I highly recommend this wonderful inn to all!!
-Kathy from New York

• Liked — everything
Northern California
Reviewed 6 August 2008

ID#: 17675966

I wanted to get a massage and stay at a bed & breakfast for my birthday. I
searched online for B&B's and found the Elk Cove Inn & Spa which fit both my
needs. I tried to make reservations online but had some difficulty so I called
the property directly. Eileen answered and took my reservation for a one night
stay. She asked me if the trip was for anything special and I told her it was
for my birthday.
We arrived around 3pm the next day and someone else checked us into our room. I
had never stayed at a B&B on the coast and was excited to see that the info. on
the website was true. We could walk right down to the ocean about 50 yards
away. The first room we booked was the Lumber Baron room which was big, had
antique furniture and an electric fireplace. The day was beautiful and we
walked down to the beach and got our feet wet.
When we returned to the dining area afterward, Eileen was there and introduced
herself. She told me she was going to upgrade our room because of my birthday!
She told me to go pick which one I wanted. I misunderstood which one she was
offering so I picked one of the most expensive rooms available. She still
allowed my husband and I to stay in the Bavarian room even though it was much
more expensive than our original room. It was beautiful. If I ever go back, it
is the room to choose.
It had a large King bed with all down comforters and pillows and a woodstove.
The view from the room was incredible... we could see down to the Elephant rock
and hear the ocean when we opened the windows. My husband actually made a fire
and it was too hot so we had to keep the windows open all night but there were
no bugs bothering us. The room also had a skylight above the bed so you could
see the trees and stars when you laid down. It was great and I slept soundly.
The next morning we went to breakfast which was supposed to be a buffet but
since we were one of two couples staying there, Eileen had the kitchen make
whatever we wanted. My husband is not a big breakfast eater so he had fruit and
a delicious warm homemade scone. I was served corned beef hash with a perfectly
poached egg on top of it. It was very tasty. We were also served fresh
croissants and warm homemade biscuits which I took for the car ride home.
We then went to our couples renewal massage. It was very relaxing and then we
had to checkout. Every person who worked at the Inn was gracious and helpful
and I wished we could stay an extra night. I am definitely going back for our
anniversary or sometime in the winter. It will be stormy but the sunset won't
be covered by fog. Plus the rain in the cove will be outstanding.
I would recommend the Elk Cove Inn & Spa to anyone and I have already told many
of my friends about the Inn and how they need to go.

• Liked — the homemade biscuits and the bed in the Bavarian room
  • Disliked — no dogs allowed but totally understandable
Sacramento
Reviewed 27 July 2008

My wife and I just finished a week at the Elk Cove Inn and Spa, and couldn't be happier with our stay. We stayed in the Surfsong Cottage, an upgrade offered upon arrival from the room we booked in the main house. With our three kids off at camp, we were looking forward to a relaxing yet active time on the Mendocino coast. Elaine, the owner/operator/host extraordinaire, was extremely helpful with suggestions of things to do in the area, and even made some of the arrangements for us.

The breakfasts were fantastic. Think southern hospitality meets Northern California. We dined on eggs benedict, whole weat pancakes, french toast, biscuits and gravy, local hard boiled eggs, poached eggs, fresh fruit, a variety of juices, and good local coffee. There were fresh local wildflowers at the table (and sometimes on our plates!) and in our room.

The town of Elk/Greenwood (a town with two names) is small but very friendly. We felt welcome wherever we went, from the pub-style restaurant to the Beacon Light, a unique local bar about a mile south of Elk on Highway 1, open Friday and Saturday nights. Owner/bartender R.D. offers two kinds of beer -- Bud and Coors, but lots of other liquor choices and hundreds of hats and signs to read.

We took an ocean kayak trip with Force 10 that was wonderful. The company is also in Elk, and our tour started on the beach just below the Inn. Each of us in a two person kayak with a guide, we traveled through sea caves, kelp, and three foot swells. We saw sea lions, starfish, pelicans, and other wildlife while getting a bit of a history lesson on Elk. Fantastic.

• Liked — Views and hospitality
Northern Californa
Reviewed 17 July 2008

We just came back from a wonderful, relaxing weekend stay at the Elk Cove Inn. The welcome and hospitality from the new owner, Elaine were outstanding. We especially enjoyed the breakfast buffet that was served. It is the best that we have ever had at any hotel or B&B. If you choose to stay here, you will not be disappointed. Our room (George Burke suite) was very comfortableand had a terrific view of the ocean. The atmosphere of the entire property is of peace and relaxation.

Thanks so much Elaine.

• Liked — Peaceful - great ocean view
  • Disliked — No phones in room - no cell phone reception in area
Toronto
Reviewed 15 July 2008

My wife and I came across Elk Cove by chance as we were twisting and turning our way up the coast highway. We arrived in the period in June between the closing and reopening of the inn and ended up being the only ones staying there for two nights in a lovely suite overlooking the ocean, sleeping wonderfully to the soothing and invigorating sounds of the sea. And climbing up the path in the morning for a scrumptious breakfast at Queenies. Despite the pressure of getting the inn ready for reopening, the owner found time to be a wonderful hostess and her associates and staff went beyond the call of duty in their helpfulness. The spa hadn't yet reopened during our brief visit, so that'll be our excuse for returning again in the hopefully not too-distant future.

• Liked — Beauty and spaciousness
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elk
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#1 of 25 in Mendocino
Stanford Inn by the Sea
Stanford Inn by the Sea
#6 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to The Elk Cove Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!