“Cozy and charming B&B along Highway 1”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elk
The Griffin House Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Elk B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We stopped at the Griffin Inn while traveling along Highway 1, and it proved to be a wonderful place to rest and relax. The staff was really nice, and welcome us with a bottle of wine. When making the reservations, they inquire about our food preferences, etc. The Inn is just a short walk from the top of a cliff next to the ocean, where we enjoyed a fantastic sunset. The room was really cozy, and the morning breakfast was pretty good.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Griffin House Inn

Reviewed 25 March 2010

What an absolute amazing find! The cottages are so cozy, the view fabulous, breakfasts yummy and the hospitality most welcoming. We were on a trip along the Mendocino Coast celebrating my husband's retirement when we stumbled upon the Griffin House, it was one of the lighlights our trip. The Bridget Dolan Pub on the premises is also a great find. We have been in Irish pubs in Ireland and this truly feels like one of them. The food was excellent and service very attentive and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2009

We went away for labor day weekend, Me and my boyfriend have never visited mendocino, so I was very excited. We like traveling with our dog, and the griffin house was dog friendly and from the pictures look amazing. The ONLY nice thing about this inn, area is that it is dog friendly. The cottages were very very old, and for the price of the inn, I thought I would be staying in at least 4 stars. Motel 6 is a nicer, more comfortable stay. I truely, honestly believe that I was bit by bugs during the night and woke up with bumps all over my arms. We would have left a night early if Highway 1 was not so treacherous in the dark. I asked the inn keeper before staying there how far away the beach was, she replied " only 5 min walk"- which is a very true statement, but Greenwood state beach is probably the most disgusting beach I have ever visited, and I am a beach girl... It was COVERED in stinky kelp, rocky, with driftwood everywhere- just very unenjoyable. I don't write many reviews but I felt obligated so others would not spend a ridiculous amount of money on this very disappointing cottage and area. Also in the cottage, we could hear our neighbors and our neighbors neighbor =( expensive and dissappointing.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hawaiingirl
Reviewed 17 August 2009

My husband and I just got back from a 4 day trip to Elk, and this was our 1st stay at the Griffin House Inn. We were pleased with our ocean view cottage (the Matson). We found out after we got there, that the Matson is the smallest of the 3 ocean-front cottages and we had brought a lot of gear with us, but we were still able to fit in just fine with a little creative thinking. This room has recently been updated with a new bathroom and new hardwood floors which were very nice. The view off of the private deck is nothing short of spectacular. We had been staying at the Heritage House in Little River on our prior trips to the coast (now the Heritage House is unfortunately closed), but the views of the stunning cliffs and rock formations of Greenwood Cove at the Griffin House were even more stunning than the view from Heritage House. We found the staff very friendly--especially Melanie and Steve. The only service issue we had was the housekeeper forgot to restock the soaps/shampoos and kleenex, but once we told her she quickly re-stocked it for us and it was not a big deal. There were a couple of space challenges with the room. The remodeled bathroom was beautiful and had nice new tiling, but did not have much counter space. We just grabbed a couple of the small side tables from the deck and put them in the bathroom to increase the counter space. Also, there is no closet or armoire to hang clothes. They have a couple of hooks on the wall for this purpose, but the hooks are right behind the chairs in the sitting area, so you had to reach over the chairs and hang up your clothes/coats which was a little strange. If you require more space, you might want to consider the Donohue cottage instead, which is also an ocean view cottage with a window seat and a breakfast nook. The Greenwood cottage is also nice, although when we stepped in and took a quick look, the flooring in the bathroom is a little damaged in a couple of spots. The Greenwood and Donohue cottages don't have all the fancy updates of the Matson, but they do have the same spectacular private view and a lot more room. Bottom line is this place was totally relaxing and quiet, which was just what we needed. The only sounds I heard from the time we went to sleep to the time they brought us coffee and breakfast in the morning was the sounds of ocean waves. And if you luck out with the weather, you will never see so many stars as we did sitting on our deck at night.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SameTimeNextYear_7
Reviewed 1 July 2009

We booked an oceanfront cottage several months in advance and I asked the innkeeper to recommend one since we had not been to the property. I was surprised to find that the one he gave us was the only one not renovated and definitely much more rustic; I would choose a different one if we returned. All the cabins do have a wonderful view and we enjoyed our stay. We were visiting on a holiday weekend and they seem seriously understaffed. The innkeeper does all the checking in and out while serving simultaneously at the pub and restaurant and there was only one other waitress. As there are only 2 restaurants in town, it's busy! Full breakfasts were delivered to the cabin which was a nice touch. Understaffed and a little rough around the edges for the price but we would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chico99
Reviewed 24 September 2008

My husband and I had a lovely stay at the Griffin House. It was quiet and the room was spacious, with a sitting room, bedroom, and large bathroom. The decor was simple (perhaps even sparse) and the room had certainly seen better days. For what you get the price is a bit much. However, we very much enjoyed our stay. We would probably stay there again. Given that there were two ocean view rooms available when we checked in at 9 in the evening, we would absolutely stay again had they upgraded us. Easy way to ensure repeat business, but not one they chose to employ.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 2 July 2008

Stayed at the Griffin House In last weekend and had a nice stay. We stayed in the Greenwood room which has a huge deck overlooking the ocean with very cool rock formations. The room itself was very nice. The bed was comfortable and the linens were good and the wood fired stove kept us warm.

The only negative is that the bathroom feels a bit less glamorous than the rest of the room. Small shower and linoleum flooring feels like it could use an update.

Overall, we really liked the hotel - very relaxing, yummy breakfast right in your room and romantic evenings watching the fog over the ocean.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elk
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#1 of 2 in Little River
Inn at Schoolhouse Creek
Inn at Schoolhouse Creek
#3 of 8 in Little River

Been to The Griffin House Inn? Share your experiences!