“Anniversary trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elk
The Harbor House Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Elk B&B and Inns
Sequim, Wa.
“Anniversary trip”
Reviewed 21 October 2006

The Harbor House Inn is a 2 story house on the outskirts of the small Ocean side town of Elk. The inn is very nicely done and the gardens are pretty. It is a property where you could sit out on the lawn and just look at the ocean for the entire stay and be happy. When you stay there the price (rather high) includes dinner. The dinners were pretty good but you better like what they serve-usually there are 2 choices. The other problem with having them provide dinner is that you have to be back to the inn at dinnertime. Some times we would have to modify our excursions to meet dinnertime.

• Liked — The terrific ocean view and the great property landscaping
  • Disliked — Locked into dinner
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
8 Thank Gemco309

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Kansas City
Reviewed 21 September 2006

We stayed in this lovely Inn for 3 nights. The setting is gorgeous and the views are stunning. We enjoyed the daily breakfasts and the dinners were terrific. We consider ourselves "foodies" and we were very pleased with the cuisine. The wine list is extensive and reasonably priced. We found all the staff to be delightful and very accomodating. We had to leave very early on Sunday and the inn keeper had a package on the front counter with apples and cookies for our long drive to Oakland to catch our flight.

If our travels bring us to northern California again, we would DEFINITELY stay at Harbor House!

• Liked — location, food, views!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
8 Thank ritahyde
Newport Beach CA
Reviewed 11 August 2006

We spent the weekend here and were happy to get away. Unfortunately the staff was less than pleasant and seems to be not used to dealing with clients that expect service.

Seems too bad that such bad hospitality exists at such a lovely location. Don't expect to be pampered.

And don't expect help lugging your suitcases up two flights of stairs.

Hope they get some new help.

• Liked — Wonderful ocean location
  • Disliked — Unpleasant staff...mediocre food
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank janey1245
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 July 2006

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon. Granted, being from Texas, I was easily impressed by the coast and the climate, so I could have been impressed by a Motel 8 in the same area. However, we have stayed at several B&B's across the nation and found this one to be one of the best.

We stayed in the redwood room, which was gorgeous. It had a very warm feeling, and the wood panneling was beautiful. The bed was huge and the most comfortable we have experienced at a B&B. The room was spotless. At first we were concerned about the room being right by the front door, especially since the restaurant serves folks from off the street as well as guests. We like our privacy, and dont like to be cuddled up in bed while hearing people talking right outside the door. However, this did not end up being an issue as the redwood room has a small room inside the main door, and then another door leading into the actual room. This created a comfy buffer zone for us.

Unless a lot has changed since our stay, I can't see why anyone would complain about the food. The presentation was perfect and artful, and the quality of the food was no less than stellar. They served ribs one night that I still salivate over when they come to mind. And when I say ribs, I dont mean messy, greasy, run of the mill "Chilis" or "The Outback" ribs.

Our only complaint actually pertains to other guests. At about 11 PM some guy and a couple of ladies were sitting in the den talking, laughing loudly and playing the piano. I do not recall if the manager or owner was on site or not, but there should be a standard on use of the facilities, either communicated at check-in or posted on the wall somewhere. I finally had to get up, get dressed and ask them to take the part to their room.

One final note. If you are looking for warm, friendly service and staff that coos over you, you may be dissapointed (as some guests apparently have been). Being from Texas, where most folks are almost "overly" friendly and exuberant, I found the manager to be somewhat cold. However, I found this to be the case with almost everyone I interacted with in California, so in all fairness, it may be a regional difference. The wait staff during meals was very friendly and provided excellent service. The disposition of the manager was actually appreciated by my wife and I as we were looking for a place to get away, and have some privacy. So for many of you, like us, this may be a plus. What some view as coldness, others view as professionalism.

If some of my review sounds negative, then it has not been conveyed well. It has only been meant to be objective. Overall, we would stay here again in a heartbeat, and will, on our next visit to my wifes home-state.

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank SparkyJamers
Northern California
Reviewed 28 May 2006

This place is in a beautiful setting, but that is all it has going for it. We have stayed at the Harbor House previously and have always had a pleasant experience. It recently sold to some corporation and we could really tell by the service we received and the food we ate.

We like to think of The Harbor House as our getaway - but no longer! Dinner is included and you have no choice but to eat there. There is a reason for that as the food was less than mediocre. We seem to eat the same entrees each time we come with no creativity or pizzazz. The food seems to come out of the same cookbook. The wine list is nice, if not a bit overpriced. They expect because you are not paying for dinner, you will spend more on wine.

The rooms need work. Our shower was leaky and backed up. When asked if it would be fixed, I received the response "what can you expect from a house that is 100 years old?" Everything is dated and it seems the only thing the new owners plan to do is to put in phones and big TV's. This is not the reason we come to Elk.

All in all, this place is headed downhill and quickly. The staff are rude and pay little if any attention to you at dinner. Coming from a return visitor, I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2006
11 Thank pig.frog
, Manager at The Harbor House Inn, responded to this review, 3 June 2006
While it is true that Harbor House is under new ownership, it is not true that we were purchased by "some corporation". Our new owner is simply off-site. While the new owner is considering some upgrades, such as the in-room phones you mention, he is also planning on upgrading our rooms and cottages. Most guests, new and old, are excited about these changes.

We find it odd that you criticize the food and service, as we have been getting more than normal praise for both. If you have indeed been to the Harbor House previously, you would be aware that our current chef has been with us for less than one year. Your claim about "food from the same cookbook" is just mean-spirited.

As a return guest, you were aware that the room rate includes dinner. Most of our guests enjoy the fact that they do not have a long drive to dinner and enjoy dining with us. We definitely do not EXPECT our guests to purchase from our wine list; we work hard to have an extensive list for guests that choose to purchase from us.

We make every effort to assure that our guests enjoy their time at Harbor House. We apologize if you experienced plumbing problems, but doubt that anyone on our staff would respond "well, what can you expect..." We understand that as repeat guests, you would want things to remain the same at your getaway spot. This does not warrant such a mean-spirited post. We hope you will continue to enjoy your time in Elk. At another establishment.
California
Reviewed 15 January 2006

We booked this hotel for two nights over New Years. It was a special occasion and the staff was alerted to this fact (no acknowledgement of this fact was made when we checked in and the room which I had called about several times was smaller than expected and offered none of the luxuries touted on the website or by phone). The room was tiny, dank and dreary and nothing to write home about. It had one small picture window (which leaked). I don't even think the bed was a queen as advertised (seemed more like a full). The bath was run down (rust around the sink, horrible small shower and dirty floor). Definitely not the luxury accomodations that the web site boasts about. The power went out after the first night (because of a big storm) leaving the guests with nothing to do. No effort was made to provide entertainment (not even a newspaper). They did try to start a fire in the fireplace in the lobby but only succeeded in smoking up the inn because something was broken in the fireplace. Dinner was average. Again, nothing to write home about. Half of the guests left after the first night and did not stay for New Years. Nevertheless, the Inn charged the second night rate even though they lacked electricity or any fire place to heat the place. They claimed the electricity came back on when I called after my departure to complain about being billed -- but I can tell you it was not on at 3pm the day we left and the radio coverage we got from our car said electricity was not expected to be restored to the area for 48 hours or so. When I complained about the room, they referenced the several discussion I had before we arrived as proof that I should have known what I was getting. All I can say is I feel very misled. And ended up very disappointed.

• Stayed December 2005
13 Thank SFHoneymooner
, Manager at The Harbor House Inn, responded to this review, 15 April 2006
We make every effort to please our guests. This guest desired an ocean view room for the New Year holiday and decided to book our last ocean view room. We did have several discussions prior to her booking, as she states in her post. At all times, I stressed that this was a small room with a queen bed, but with a fantastic ocean view. She decided to go ahead with the booking and be placed on a waiting list for a larger room. When I did call several weeks later about an opening for a larger ocean view room, she never returned my call.

The coast was indeed hit with a ferocious storm on New Year’s, but this guest was the only one who chose to leave, out of 18 other people. We had a wonderful, romantic candlelight dinner, with a harpist playing. The power came back on before midnight. All of our guests raved about how wonderful we made the situation. As for her special occasion, we acknowledge birthdays and anniversaries at dinner with complimentary champagne, which this guest accepted.

When this guest called to inquire about her bill, we did offer her a generous discount off her second night. She became angry that we would not extend a 100% discount for her second night, even though it is explained at check-in that we do not offer discounts for early departures, for whatever reason.

Of course no one wants to end up without electricity for their special holiday, but I believe we did everything in our power to make the situation as pleasant as possible for everyone. Unfortunately, you cannot please everyone all the time, no matter how hard you try.

San Francisco/Orange County
Reviewed 30 January 2005

My finance and I were driving down the California coast when we stumbled upon the Harbour House Inn. The Inn was stunning, very well kept and very comfortable. Our room was decorated well with a warm fireplace and large king-sized bed. We drank wine in the gardens while watching the sunset. We also took the path down to the beach in the morning and watched the waves hit the sand. This is definitely one of our favorite B&Bs- we were lucky to find it!

7 Thank TravelGal415
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elk
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#1 of 2 in Little River
Inn at Schoolhouse Creek
Inn at Schoolhouse Creek
#3 of 7 in Little River

Been to The Harbor House Inn? Share your experiences!