“A Perfectly Pleasant Wayside”

Holiday Inn Express Elk Grove
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Elk Grove
Reviewed 31 July 2011

This is a trip with the family so that standards are a bit different used as a wayside on our way to Anaheim. The place is very clean, close to the Interstate 5 but can't hear it in the rooms, the breakfast is decent including an automatic pancake maker that fascinated the kids. For me there were plenty of outlets around to recharge and hasslefree internet. The location is nice enough to go for a walk in the morning. We used the fridge but didn't need the microwave. Not nice: no bathroom fan, the sofabed is super uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Save room for breakfast.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 May 2011

My husband and I often take over night get aways here in town when our work schedules do not permit us to leave town. We opt for local low key places with spa/ jacuzzi suites whenever possible. We love the jacuzzi suite at the Hampton Inn & Suites just down the road from this hotel however mothers day weekend that suite was not available and neither were any others in the Sacramento area. Holiday inn advertises a Executive Suite with jetted tub on their website for a rate if about $139 on this particular weekend so I booked it. We checked in around 6pm and were given room 203 of a 3 story 60 room hotel. The exterior & lobby were standard Holiday Inn, pleasant but small. Check in was efficient however we were only given one room key and I had to ask for a second. We get to the room, no jetted tub. Before settling in I called the front desk and inquired only to be told the hotel has no rooms with jetted tubs or jacuzzi's. I advised that the website misled us and expressed my unhapppiness only to be told I was lucky to get the rate I did as this room normally goes for $159. Really?? I could care less and the web doesn't advise me of my apparent fortune it just quotes a rate that I agreed to with amenities that I was looking for. After a short and unpleasant quibble over the matter with the MANAGER of the hotel, he advises me to take my concerns up with Holiday Inn Inc. and that was that. He again advises me how happy I should be with my rate regardless of the inaccurate information provided on the website, and clearly was not interested in apologies, accountability or customer satisfaction in any way shape or form. The room was fine. But no where near worth $139 a night and would be a crime to pay $159 a night for. Everything else is basically as described by previous reviews, standard Holiday Inn. If given the choice I would stay home before ever giving this hotel a penny more of our hard earned cash just for the lack of customer service alone and rude entitlement attitude of the staff. One more negative note, garbage stuffed in our ice bucket from previous guest, one shampoo bottle ( no conditioner) one body lotion, one soap. For $140 a night you'd think they're would be toiletries for two and they wouldn't skimp on soap and conditioner. They also had the classy sign in the bathroom informing guests of the costs associated in stealing towels, wash cloths, pillows, blankets ect. A nice little touch. Never, never again Holiday Inn Elk Grove, not that you'd care. And yes we are Holiday Inn rewards members which meant absolutely nothing to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 25 January 2011

This hotel is just a few blocks off the freeway and is very easy to get in and out of. It takes dogs, although the pet fee is kind of steep at $35. However, it is one of the few hotels in the greater Sacramento area that does take pets (of the hotels you'd want to stay at, anyway). Our room was on the small side in a hotel that looked fairly new, and had nice furnishings that included a king bed, sofa, work desk and chair. One star off for not having many tables in the breakfast area, which could be a problem if the hotel was busy. The usual fare of cereals, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, etc. was provided. We stayed here again on our return trip earlier this month.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2010

We stayed here on a drive down to Los Angeles, CA. This was our second time staying at this hotel, and we'll likely stay again. Rooms are in excellent condition, are very large and clean, and the staff were friendly on both trips. The beds are accurately described as doubles, but we sure wish they'd offer a queen option. This trip included our two young children, so we had to choose the two doubles rather than the one king. This really only impacted my wife and I because our son slept in the other double, and our daughter slept on the pull-out couch. Having the pull-out couch was great because it meant less fighting between the kids! The hotel is convenient to I-5 and there is ample free parking. There are a couple decent restaurants within walking distance; we ate at the sushi place in 2009, and the Chinese place in 2010, and both were quite good. The pool was closed because it is outdoor, but we knew this when we booked it. I prefer places with pools as it's nice to unwind after a long day driving. The free breakfast was typical of Holiday Inn Express; not much in the way of healthy choices, but enough options to get you on the road. We just made a point of finding a grocery store to buy a few fruits and veggies to munch on. Overall, we'd stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I was very disapointed with the overall service. Since the moment i walked in the hotel I was greeted by the employee (trish...or trisha)with ignorance! 1st of all i saw her jump from the counter to the back in her skirt. i guess i came in at the wrong time. later she just gave me the room keys while 90% of her attention was clearly on the computer as she kept lookin at it and smiling. i got no directions to where the room was, no acknowledgement of being a pc member. i ended up opening someone else's room while he was undressing....and this all because i was given the wrong room number. when i was goin off to bed i noticed a brown stain on the edge of my brown blanket. i had to get to work in the morning and i put an alarm for 6 am and i woke up at 7: 30 am. i was so late to work that it was embressing. to make matters worse for me the hotel kept calling me and leaving me messeges as to when i was going to leave at 12:30pm when i had requested late checkout at 2Pm the night before. when i came back i demanded to speak to the manager but he was not there. i asked to be contacted asap and left my contact info but was never called back. i was very disapointed at this service. i would never go back. i understand if one or two things went wrong but so many just overnight is unexceptable. there seems to be some serious comunocation lacking amongst the staff and mangment...not to mention descpline and above it all a weak management

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 14 March 2010

Great rooms, great service.
1. The rooms were spacious.
2. Had sleeping area.
3. Seperate area for relaxing on a sofa with a coffee table.
4. Nice desk and large comfortable desk chair.
5. Area for preparing food with good size microwave, fridge and coffee maker.
6. Full size closet with full size ironing board.
The breakfasts were very nice, had a larege variety. Eggs, bacon, biscuits, cereal, fruit, yogart, juices, coffees and donuts, toast, bagles. WONDERFUL service.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2010

Stayed March 3 on business. Great hotel... very quiet, nice room, Bkft so so...not a lot of selection. Highly recommend.

- R

Hilton Garden Inn Sacramento Elk Grove
5 mi away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Sacramento Elk Grove
Americas Best Value Inn - Sacramento/Elk Grove

Been to Holiday Inn Express Elk Grove? Share your experiences!