“great Mediterranean flavors, portions & value can't be beat!”
Review of Wally's Cafe

Wally's Cafe
Ranked #14 of 119 Restaurants in Emeryville
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Yeah... it's all true, DO believe the hype. As we say back home:

"Broke da mout" good.

1st time out: Grabbed 3 co-workers and took the 7 minute drive from downtown Oakland, SO WORTH IT. Was kinda crowded and a bit of a wait, but was kept busy with a starter bowl of Lentil soup... double up the portion, add some pita bread and you've got lunch for some people (not US, we EAT).

We went for it... Falafel, Dolmas, Humus, Babaganoosh (awesome) and yes, a side of fries to start. BEST FALAFEL & babaganoosh I've had, and I try them where ever I find them. Beef & Chicken Shwarma, Gyros and Combo Kabob and plates were had... big portions, sided with a huge salad and rice. Soooo good, too much food.

As we were about to ask for the check, we got a whiff of something coming out of the oven.... a tray of freshly baked baklava. DUDE, the smell of that buttery pastry, honey, and pistachoes almost made my knees buckle. The owner and his wife are topping the tray with fresh ground pistashio and cutting, while we drooled in anticipation. Turkish coffees and baklavas for everyone... YOW-ZA, like chasing that 1st hit of cocaine, I'm trying to get there again (been back 5 times since January) when that stuff comes out of the oven. We even ordered a whole tray for my wife's B-Day.

RUN don't walk... wait, walk 'cause if you're running, you miss the little alley leading to the promised land. REALLY nice folks, kicking out fresh, quality, tasty fare, with a smile - from a kitchen smaller than mine.

Secret tip: If the tables and counter are FULL, ask to be seated in the BANK CLUB, they'll serve you from there AND you can have a cocktail with your meal... how great is that?

Wally's rules!!

Reviewed 31 March 2013

I really, really liked this place. The place itself looks a little run down but the food is amazing. I had the chicken shawarma wrap and my friend had the chicken gyro...yum. They serve lentil soup and baklava with every order and it's inexpensive. It's really worth the effort to go here. If I'm ever in the area again, I'm definitely eating here again.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

The gyros were really good, but were not the part that stood out the most. The complimentary lentil soup was amazing (even my boyfriend who doesn't normally like lentil soup loved it), and they also gave a complimentary baklava for dessert that was maybe the best baklava I have ever had. The staff was also very nice and attentive. Overall, great experience. I love places like this that go out of their way to give a free little appetizer/dessert to please their customers. It doesn't cost them much, but these little details will keep customers coming back!

Reviewed 21 January 2013

No way around it, this place is a total dive. It's tucked into a corner, you have to pass a dumpster to get in the door, etc. The food is outstanding, however, and the friendly family atmosphere is welcoming and relaxed, while the service is amazingly rapid. The portions are generous, so bring your appetite!

Reviewed 25 December 2012

Okay, if you are hungry, run, don't walk to Wally's at the Bank Club Café. If you don't run, everyone will beat you to the place. You know its good food when you have to wait in line behind everyone else that wants to eat there. Don't go to a restaurant with an empty parking lot. Wally's is a Mediterranean restaurant with really good burgers. So good, in fact, I had to go back and have another one; scrumptious!!! Since I'm such a finicky eater, and I liked their burgers, that says something. They also accompany their burgers with a Mediterranean bean soup (tasty) and baklava. So if you're in the mood for good food, and want to get a good bargain – Wally's is it.