“TERRIBLE” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Dallas, Texas
“TERRIBLE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

I have stayed in plenty of courtyards...this one is the worst. The place is a total dump, it is so outdated, everything stinks (literally and figuratively), elevators and halls smell like puke, rooms are musty. Staff is below average, stay away from this place....period. lots other options in the area.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank rnally
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Mally,
I am sorry to hear you had a terrible stay with us. You state that the hotel is a "dump" and "outdated," but a more accurate description would be "under renovation." A million-dollar renovation of our entire first floor is underway. We have relocated and recreated our hotel entrance, Front Desk, lobby, restaurant and bar in meeting rooms at the back of the hotel. What you experienced were temporary facilities. We know they are not as good as what we had before the renovation, but we have put a lot of effort into making things as normal as possible under the circumstances.
With regard to smell, we had a college group in the hotel with over 300 students attending a nearby conference. Unfortunately, one of them got sick and threw up in a hallway. We cleaned it up as soon as possible, but some guests were exposed to the odor. This was an isolated incident. We survey our guests and score very well on a question about our rooms smelling "clean and fresh."
Again, I am sorry that your stay was so unusual, between the temporary facilities and the incident with the sick student. It is very rare that someone throws up in our corridors. I am certain that if you stay with us again, especially after we unveil our new lobby in early May, you will have a much better experience. I hope you do should you return to the area.
Warm regards ~ Jeff Given, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Bristol PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel with colleagues in February. Mall and Restaurant/Bars within walking distance. Easy on/off highways.

Room Tip: My room was facing the highway and I didnt hear a thing all night. My guess is any room in the hotel...
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

The hotel is located right in the heart of a myriad of shopping and eating availabilities. Most are chain stores and restaurants. The parking is easy and well lit. Exercise room is clean and has newer machines. The staff were helpful and friendly. Heard no noise from other guests. It was just one of those hotels where everything ran smoothly, no suprises, and had a good location to get on the road.

Fernley, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I reserved a room through Priceline for a 3 star, $113. and this was the choice in Emeryville. My sister and I were taking a weekend to visit family in Oakland. I called before we arrived and asked for a room with 2 beds and was told it was not a problem. When we arrived, we were sent to a room on the top floor; while it was a king suite, there was one bed. When we returned to the desk, they curtly told us there were no other rooms avaiable and that perhaps the next day we could transfer. Slept in same bed, and woke up to free coffee in the lobby. We received a call letting us know there would be no rooms available today as well. Bed was comfortable but lacking real covers. Clean and large bathroom, but only one bar of soap (wanted one for shower and one for sink.) Great area of town next to lots of shopping and restaurants. I did not hear traffic noise, but the Bay Bridge was closed, so that probably had alot to do with it. Check your bill before you leave, they charged me $40 and I was expecting an $18 charge for two days parking. Overall adequate, but with so many choices close by, you may wish to try someplace else.

Room Tip: Take your parking pass with you, they will ask you to use it when you depart as well. Do not drink...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My room was infested with bed bugs. My stay was for four nights. Unfortunately, I didn't realize of the infestation until my third day and by then my body was covered with bites. I travel quite a bit for my job and always stay at Marriott. This is my first experience with bed bugs and they are nasty.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
3 Thank UnfortunateTraveler
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Unfortunate Traveler,
I am sorry to hear about your bug bites. That certainly makes travel less enjoyable. Please know that we follow a strict policy to eliminate bed bugs should they be brought into the hotel. Housekeepers inspect the mattress and headboard when making beds and report anything suspicious. Should there be a report of potential bed bugs, from either guests or housekeepers, we immediately quarantine the room and call in our professional pest control provider. This has occurred probably a dozen times in the last three years and not once were bed bugs found in the room.
Unless treated, bed bugs do not go away. If there are bugs in a hotel room, each successive guest is bitten. We have not treated any rooms and have not received any reports of bug bites since your stay, even though all rooms were occupied several times. Based on our clean history, our protocol, and the absence of any other reports of bug bites, it is reasonable to believe your bites occurred somewhere other than in our hotel.
Again, I am sorry to hear of your discomfort. Since we do not have bed bugs, I hope you can comfortably choose our hotel again should you return to the area. Please don't hesitate to call if I can help in any way...510-652-8777.
Warm regards ~ Jeff Given, General Manager
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

My husband and I have been staying in this hotel on and off for the past several weeks to visit a family member in the area who is not well, and we can't say enough nice things about our accomodations, the staff, the convenient parking, and the food and bar service. Everyone has been most pleasant and friendly, from the front desk to our new friends at breakfast and the lobby bar (great omelettes)! Plus, the location just off the highway and across from many shops and restaurants can't be beat.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Lone Tree, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

Stayed here instead of in downtown San Francisco. Indoor pool. Lots of shopping and restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: They put our family of five in a disabled access room so we had lots of space.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kmcmt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,172 reviews
Inn at Temescal
Inn at Temescal
#9 of 49 in Oakland

Been to Courtyard Oakland Emeryville? Share your experiences!