“Works for Me!”

Portland, OR
“Works for Me!”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is what I like about the Courtyard Emeryville:
1) Great location! Wide range of restaurants across the street in the Bay Street Mall.
2) Simple, contemporary, and reasonably spacious rooms. Comfortable beds. Great views from bay-side rooms. In room free basic wi-fi was (as advertised) fast enough for everything except streaming video. Overall, the Courtyard seems well maintained.
3) Small fitness room with LifeFitness equipment: Two treadmills, two ellipticals (one was out of order), and two recumbent bikes. An adjoining room includes a small indoor pool (might be long enough to try some laps, but I didn't try) and a hot tub. Hotel gyms are a make or break feature for me. The Courtyard passes this test in spite of one elliptical being out of commission.
4) The Bistro (in the lobby) is great for simple, casual, a la carte breakfasts. My favorite: Hot, chunky oatmeal with little bowls of brown sugar, dark/golden raisins, and walnuts on the side. In the evening snacks and cocktails/beer/wine are available at very reasonable prices. (I'm not a fan of all-inclusive breakfast buffets at other hotel properties: Usually these mean crowds of people going after a lot of unhealthy, poor quality, steam-table food.)
5) Very friendly and helpful staff throughout the property.

One unfortunate drawback:
1) Daily parking charge of $9; however, this is by no means a deal breaker.

Room Tip: Bay side rooms provide wonderful views and are quiet in spite of Interstate 80 roaring by just yards...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kiwitravelerpdx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is by far one of the worst hotels i have stayed in. On the outside, it may look nice, but once inside, the experience is sub-par. For the price that this hotel charges, there were way too many problems. There was no refrigerator in the room! Basic hotels (i.e. holiday inn) have a refrigerator, so i was shocked to not see one in a Marriott. There was no hot water in the bathroom sink. When i had to shave, i ran hot water in the tub, then took the ice bucket to transfer it to the sink. The outlet at the computer desk in my room did not work, as well as the first outlet i tried in the lobby. To top it all off, anytime i used the rear entrance, there was a putrid odor that smelled of vomit in the hallway. Overall, i was very disappointed with the quality of this hotel. I hold Marriott to a higher standard, and they failed on that miserably. I have had way better experiences at most holiday inn expresses. Will not be returning to this hotel in the future.

2 Thank BRLA2013
NORWALK,CT
Reviewed 14 November 2013

If you want to avoid the college crowd at Berkeley this is a great place to stay. Located right next to I-80, and though we faced both the freeway and the bay, noise was never a problem. Location is great and close to most restaurants, shopping, Amtrak and only 13 miles from Oakland airport. If flying in I would go into Oakland not San Francisco if possible. Traffic over the bay bridge a horror most times of the day. Staff at hotel was always very nice and cordial. Entire location very clean and comfortable. Business center in lobby always available including printers. The restaurant Bistro open only for breakfast and dinner.
Breakfast was fine but there are others places just a good. I did not like paying $9.00 per day for parking. However the thing that really got to me, bottle water is left in the room. Little did we know that you would be charged 3.50 per bottle used. We did not know this, plus when we got our bill they charged us for 5 bottles. At most we used only 3. Bad customer service to charge for bottle water. I've stayed at other hotels, paid less and got more. The bottle water charge just left a bad taste for ever staying at another Marriott. However if you want a clean place with a good location then this is the place. Just don't drink the water...You will pay for it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Located on a main interstate, you better ask for a room facing the other way. No glory no big shame. Just an average Courtyard nicely located next to good restaurants. Do not have dinner or breackfast in the hotel unless you like fast food. Front desk staff extremely nice and helpful. Clean. Value not the best and for this chain on the expensive side.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the interstate (west side)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I see all of the 4 stars out of 5 and I am thinking, "its a Courtyard by Marriott," so I booked it. I have been here on my 1 st night and I am not remotely impressed. Not much good, and I honestly would say it is almost on par with a motel chain, certainly not Mariott. To start:

- Bedding is thin and springy with no pillow top at all. Like a dorm room.
- free WiFi is so slow it's useless. 200-300 Kbps. You can pay PER DEVICE to get it 2x that...woo-hoo...free dial up speeds....
- plastic shower tubs and sand paper like paper thin towels
- staff at front was not remotely friendly. I asked them for a nice steakhouse nearby and they sent me to some joke of a restaurant that had Salisbury steaks, etc..., nothing more than $8.99 per plate.
- rooms lack enough plugs
- they charged for parking
- bedding, bedding, bedding....terrible!
- Cheap motel bar soaps and shampoos, you know the solid hard bars that you can't tell if it's fragrance free or not, and it has hard edges on it?

This, my friends, is no ordinary Courtyard. Very disappointed.

2 Thank stevensteven
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

We spent a night here just as a stop over whilst heading up to Sonoma. Nice enough hotel, bed was OK. The carpet pattern always seems psychedelic to me, but I think that's a general Marriott interior design!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Essex, England
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My husband & I recently stayed here for 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

First of all location is excellent. Easy to find just off the freeway overlooking the Bay Bridge. We were visiting San Fran and to be honest we could not warrant spending out over $220 per night to stay in an old dirty motel in San Fran central so choose here as a next best alternative for under $145 per night. We were initially a little worried about transport into San Fran but we needn't had worried. We took the F bus every day for $4.20(per person each way) from directly outside the hotel to the trans bay bus station in the city. The buses run every 30mins and the journey took a max of 20 mins in peak rush hour traffic. It was perfect!! Opposite the hotel is a new shopping mall with many eateries and shops including Californian pizza kitchen, PF Changs etc.. There is also a bk, Starbucks, marshals only a 5 min stroll away. In essence there are plenty of dining options if you return from the city looking for food etc, although they don't stay open late.

The hotel itself was great. Decor modern and clean throughout from the reception, restaurant and room. We had a room on the 3rd floor looking out over the bay (and freeway). The room was a good size and more than adequate for our stay. King bed was very comfy. Wouldn't even know there was a freeway outside. We eat breakfast in the on site restaurant on our last day which was excellent price and quality.

Parking is $9 per day, not bad compared to the hotels in San Fran it's charging $45 a day....outrageous!!!! Hotel also has a decent gym and swimming pool which we never got to use.

The only reason that I'm not scoring this hotel full marks is because poor staff knowledge let it down. On check in we asked 2 members of staff about transport into San Fran (which you would presume would be a frequent conversation) but no one seemed to have any knowledge. We were a little confused about how insular their knowledge was which is a shame. Otherwise they were more than helpful on other occasions.

Overall a great stay in another decent Marriott branded hotel. Yes, you are not in central San Fran but to honest this made no difference to us as travel commuting time was so little that it wouldn't have been any longer than staying in a San Fran suburb. We just saved the money staying here which we spent on other aspects of our trip. We would definitely return here again if visiting San Fran.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sazkebab
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Inn at Temescal
Inn at Temescal
#8 of 49 in Oakland

Been to Courtyard Oakland Emeryville? Share your experiences!