“It's the principle of the thing...”

Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The stay was nice, but I'm going to score them low for an astounding bout penny-pinching.

After paying an average of $230 per night plus $9 parking, I found out that they don't provide a continental breakfast. Ok. That's cool. I have no real problem eating in a restaurant in the morning. So I sat down for my first meal.

Perhaps I'm overreacting, or I'm taking it a bit too seriously. But here's what happened. I paid $16 for a breakfast and medium coffee that you would get for free at a lesser hotel. It was the standard re-heated sausage patties. Scrambled eggs that tasted bland and soggy, (and possibly came from a carton) and some over-cooked potatoes, a thin slice of orange and a single strawberry. Now, I know I'm not sitting at an IHOP or a Denny's, which are middle-of-the-charts for breakfast, but this food was far below the level of what I would expect for a breakfast costing more than $10.

So, I'm a bit upset by the price, but here is the thing that put it over the top. When I asked for a refill on my coffee. (A standard, ordinary, run-hot-water-through-beans coffee) the guys running the "restaurant" said I would have to buy another cup! I was astonished at the cheapness of that request on top of an already overpriced breakfast. Never had I stayed in a hotel before that required you to buy multiple cups of plain coffee. Hell, most restaurants refill your coffee for free! It's not like there is a shortage of decent coffee plaguing the United States. So with that, I decided I was done buying food in the hotel restaurant.

The result of that reluctance to drop 20 cents worth of coffee in my cup ended up costing them four more day's worth of breakfasts/dinners as I chose to take my business elsewhere. If I could, I'd stay at another hotel where they aren't nickle & diming you quite as blatantly.

That said. The room was nice, clean, and offered a restful nights sleep. The bed was comfortable and the view of the bay was outstanding. I swam/exercised in the indoor pool. The water was a bit cold, but I got a very good workout by swimming laps. The staff was friendly. And there is a little mall right across the street where you can go shopping, see a movie, or hit up a restaurant.

So. I guess it is the principle of the thing. Not refilling coffee after charging that much for a breakfast just totally rubbed me the wrong way. It was a first for me, although I only travel on business a half-dozen or so times a year. If you don't care about coffee, or penny-pinching hotels, then this place is comfortable, safe, and quiet.

Room Tip: Second floor has a few conference rooms. Can be a bit noisy with a smell of that sterno stuff they...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Reuben S
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you for staying at our hotel, and for the nice things you wrote about the hotel and our staff. Regrettably, that was outweighed by the bad experience you had at breakfast. Unfortunately, one of our staff members misunderstood a recent procedural change. We recently started breaking down the free coffee station in the lobby when the Bistro restuarant opens. In hearing about that change, they translated "no free coffee once the restaurant opens" to "no refills." We don't advertise the old "bottomless cup of coffee," and we don't do refills on Starbucks specialty coffees, but we do pour at least one refill on drip coffees upon request. I apologize that your server that morning did not do that for you. Everyone on our staff is now clear on our policies and procedures and we won't appear so cheap in the future. I hope you will give a another try when you return to the area. Thank you again for you business and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Courtyard is conveniently located in Emeryville, close to Oakland and San Francisco. The rooms are very nice and the bed comfortable. It has a nice fitness center, ample parking and a cafe/dining area in the main lobby with friendly servers.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Frank G
Reviewed 19 February 2014

At the east end of the Oakland bridge to San Francisco, Emeryville is a rich little town north side of Oakland. Nice downtown area for shoppers. The Courtyard by Marriott is a short walk away. The hotel is new and clean. Small daily fee for controlled access parking lot. Very nice breakfast bar where you can get cooked-to-order omelets. We had the fruit yogurt parfait every morning. Reasonable prices. Spacious lobby and dining area. Above-average property. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: West -side rooms face the Bay. Nice view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dr J W S
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Decent, comfortable place to stay in Emeryville, nothing over the top but a good place to stay.
Pluses:
- Comfortable bed, stayed in a King room which had a small sofa and convenient desk.
- Clean and everything as expected
- Bistro onsite, decent but fast foodish / pub fare
- Close to shopping centers and freeway access
- Easy, fast WiFi

Cons:
-Paying for parking (why not just make it part of price?)
-Not a super great value. It is comparable to the local competition like Hyatt House or Sheraton but something feels wrong about paying $250 with taxes for a 3 star hotel.

Overall a good stay, will stay there again.

Room Tip: Non-bay side room on 8th floor was very quiet, bay side might be louder as it is right on freeway.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We had clean, big rooms overlooking the bay. Located in a quiet neighborhood with nice shopping area just across the road. The bistro has a good breakfast selection, serves Starbucks coffee. Never had any meal outside of breakfast so can't speak for their lunch or dinner selections. Friendly staff, especially at the bistro.

Great location. The hotel is close to the freeway and depending on traffic, it's a 10-20 mins drive to downtown San Francisco.

Also just 5 mins away is a good dimsum place -- Hong Kong East Ocean.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 1 January 2014

It's a little confusing finding this property if you're not familiar with Emeryville, especially at night. So, you need to know where you're going or use GPS. You can see it from the freeway, but it's not clear which streets to turn on. This Courtyard is located across the street from Bay Street Mall, not a huge mall but pleasant. There are a number of places to eat within walking distance, but it can be a little scary at night if you're walking up toward Burger King and Black Bear Diner (an excellent place for breakfast, by the way). We got a very large room (I guess you would call it a mini-suite) courtesy of the front desk staff. The room was very comfortable but a little bare. In any case, it was still a good, clean, quiet room. Be prepared for the $9/day parking fee if you're driving. But, it beats San Francisco parking rates. The front desk staff was outstanding, especially Aubrey and Treni who were very responsive and friendly. The lobby area is also very nice here. We got a highly discounted rate, so for someone paying full price (I believe around $129/night) you might feel a little miffed about the parking fee and the charge for bottled water provided in the room. Wi-Fi was very good for our purposes, and there were plenty of channels on the TV. We were very happy with out stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shaka_Frank
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is what I like about the Courtyard Emeryville:
1) Great location! Wide range of restaurants across the street in the Bay Street Mall.
2) Simple, contemporary, and reasonably spacious rooms. Comfortable beds. Great views from bay-side rooms. In room free basic wi-fi was (as advertised) fast enough for everything except streaming video. Overall, the Courtyard seems well maintained.
3) Small fitness room with LifeFitness equipment: Two treadmills, two ellipticals (one was out of order), and two recumbent bikes. An adjoining room includes a small indoor pool (might be long enough to try some laps, but I didn't try) and a hot tub. Hotel gyms are a make or break feature for me. The Courtyard passes this test in spite of one elliptical being out of commission.
4) The Bistro (in the lobby) is great for simple, casual, a la carte breakfasts. My favorite: Hot, chunky oatmeal with little bowls of brown sugar, dark/golden raisins, and walnuts on the side. In the evening snacks and cocktails/beer/wine are available at very reasonable prices. (I'm not a fan of all-inclusive breakfast buffets at other hotel properties: Usually these mean crowds of people going after a lot of unhealthy, poor quality, steam-table food.)
5) Very friendly and helpful staff throughout the property.

One unfortunate drawback:
1) Daily parking charge of $9; however, this is by no means a deal breaker.

Room Tip: Bay side rooms provide wonderful views and are quiet in spite of Interstate 80 roaring by just yards...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kiwitravelerpdx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Oakland Marriott City Center

Been to Courtyard Oakland Emeryville? Share your experiences!