“Not Your Standard Courtyard Marriott”

Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have never stayed in Emeryville before I had a Marriott Rewards certificate that I had to use. So I chose this Courtyard because of its distance to San Francisco and the Oakland Airport. Boy was I impressed. I've have stayed at other Courtyard Marriott's and found them to be adequate but a bit boring. Since Courtyard's cater to the business traveler, they are not like a full size Marriott. This hotel is the exception.

This Courtyard is a great alternative to staying in the downtown San Francisco. It is very close to the Oakland Bay Bridge and their parking fees are reasonable ($9.00 compared to $25 and up in the city). The entrance to the hotel is very modern and reminds me of a mini Marriott hotel. This hotel also has a restaurant/lounge area and a small business section. I didn't get to see the workout area but I saw signs for that area.

The beds were comfortable and we were given a room on the 7th floor with a view of the bay. It was beautiful at night. This Courtyard is convientently located across the street from an outdoor shopping district and AMC movie theatres. It is also adjacent to the Powell Street Plaza with a Trader Joe's, Pier 1 imports and a Chase Bank. There are also some other stores but it's nice to have a Trader Joe's within walking distance.

The room was very nice and there was even a small fridge. The bathroom was oversized. I can't say anything wrong about this hotel. Since we were at the end of the hallway, it was very quiet and I couldn't even hear anyone walk by. I did notice that on our floor there was a suite at the end of the hallway.

Overall, I plan to return here when I am back in the Bay Area. It's nice to have a hotel located near eating and shopping amenities within a walking distance. I wished I would have had the opportunity to stay and extra day to get a chance to shop or catch a movie.

Room Tip: If you would like a view of the Bay and the S.F. skyline, request a high floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank onedeesse

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Having stayed in San Francisco many times in the last 20 years I was stunned how much hotel prices have gone up in the last 5 years or so. As we had to be back for our flight home and wanted to visit a couple of places in the area we decided to stay in Emeryville instead as the hotel was half the price. The hotel has great road access and must be well sound-proofed as we did not hear any traffic noise so close to the freeway. The room was clean with a comfortable bed and plenty of storage. The staff were helpful when we needed to change our parking arrangements the day we left. The Bay Street and Powell Street Plaza stores close by offer plenty of eating options. The free Emery- Go-Round bus stops just by Trader Joes just down the road which is handy for getting around on. It was 10 minutes to the Bart Station from where it was about a 20 minutes journey to downtown San Francisco.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Nice hotel, great location. I just expect more being a marriott elite member and spending more than 600 days in marriott hotels over my lifetime. I booked a king with sofa couch because the website says it sleeps five. Pull out sofa and you can get a roll away. I show up at the hotel and say its fire hazard to put a roll away in the room and they know the website states sleeps 5. My reservation clearly states 5. I actually canceled another reservation to come to this hotel. Lesson learned call ahead and don't believe what you read.

Room Tip: Call ahead to confirm
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tom M
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

I apologize for the misinformation on our website, stating that a room with a king bed and twin sofa bed can accommodate five people. We will correct that promptly. Also, we have some rooms that can hold a rollaway and other rooms that are a bit too small. During our normal pre-arrival planning, we should have seen that you had five people, contacted you to verify that, and pre-assigned you to a larger room. I am sorry that did not happen and that we disappointed you upon arrival. Thank you, though, for staying with us and please try us again if you return to the area. I am certain we will do a better job next time.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

As usual, the staff and amenities were top-notch. Would stay at again. Rooms were clean, although the 4th floor was under some type of renovation or upgrade (constantly maintenance and tools on floor).

Room Tip: You will be charged for parking.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is the worst Courtyard Marriott room I stayed in San Francisco area. Very strong chemical smell. Old cheep furniture appropriate for a college room but not for a Marriott chain. The room was very cold. Thermostat was not working. I called the front desk but the engineer never showed up. I ended up asking for an extra blanket. Bedding was old, very uncomfortable mattress. And as a gold member I am guaranteed to get the best room...

The location is good as it is close to freeway, shopping. We had a workshop previously here and the conference facility seemed to be nice.

Unless everything is booked, I will probably will not stay again in this property.

Room Tip: Do not recommend 441. Big,cold,old
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Olga P
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

I am sorry to read that your stay was so unsatisfactory, and apologize for the apparent lapse in communication between our associates. An Engineer should have come to check the thermostat. The chemical smell may have been from new grout or some other recent repair, as we usually receive complaints on the fresh scent in our rooms. We will certainly check that room to make sure the thermostat works and the odor has dissipated. With regard to the furniture, we are planning renovations to our guest rooms. Until that happens, we will focus on keeping the rooms very clean. Thank you for staying, and we hope you will try us again. I’m certain you will have a better experience.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Nice clean property in Emeryville, CA just North of Oakland. Safe area with good shopping and restaurant selections within walking distance. Close to everything the Bay Area has to offer at reasonable prices. Customer service just slightly above average. Note: they charge $9/for parking. I would rate almost 4/5.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms great views, but a bit more road noise. Highway below.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ChefHef65
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at this hotel for three nights to do a little sightseeing and visiting family and friends. The location of the hotel was perfect because it was near the Bay Bridge for easy access into Downtown San Francisco. The hotel was also very convenient for family and friends because they were all within a half an hour of our hotel. There were also shopping and dining facilities within walking distance. The entire hotel was very clean and the staff was very friendly and attentive. Our room was located on the seventh floor with a beautiful view of the Bay. We will definitely stay here whenever we visit the Bay Area in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank sandman702
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
Oakland Marriott City Center
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina

Been to Courtyard Oakland Emeryville? Share your experiences!