“Nice hotel”

Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel is located right next to the major highways and next to the Oakland Bay bridge, so you can spend all day in SFO and make short drive to this hotel for relaxation and rejuvenate yourself for next day. As other commenters previously mentioned, the hotel is located right across from the mall so after having fun filled day in SFO you can enjoy the shopping, restaurants, and other family activities. The hotel is clean, free wifi, swimming pool, and gym, the overnight parking is $9.50 but for the security and peace of mind it's well worth the money. I will most definately come to this hotel again! Oh by the way, we've stayed at a nearby Hilton hotel (which is similar level) a few years ago, and we were really disappointed, so don't make the same mistake we made and just book this hotel.

2  Thank Paul L

Reviewed 23 July 2014

we booked a "suite" - room 300 - for around $225 for one night. Room included one bedroom, a little counter/sink area, and the main room that had a pull out sofa bed. After sitting on the sofa for several hours we pulled it out to sleep on. What we found was a thin worn out mattress (on the under side) with no mattress cover, sheets, or blankets on it. A plastic bag with the bedding was in the closet. When we saw the mattress it had some staining on top but the worst part was underneath this very thin mattress - it was full of huge, dark, urine (?) stains. I took a video of it and also some stills and at checkout we showed the photos to the desk clerk - who DID look surprised but claimed a "not my fault" look- but when she called the Housekeeping Super to the front desk for me to show HER - she just sort of looked at the pictures and then looked at me with a "what's the big deal?" stare. Although apologetic in the beginning - they were more worried about shutting me up than really addressing the nature of the filth - and that this situation - had it been known - would have NEVER been allowed to occur. I got a full refund upon demand but I showed them the pictures with the intention of promoting an awareness and, hopefully, instigate change. The mattress was completely ripped underneath and the stains over a foot wide - and there were several. What really got to me the most was the comment "well this is UNDERNEATH where you sleep - right?"- like that makes it all okay I guess. So disrespectful- and not what I would expect from a room they call a "suite." In addition, the bathroom sink wouldn't drain properly and when the 3 of us went to pour coffee the staff had only left 2 PAPER cups in the room. We had to get dressed and go and find another cup.

Room Tip: I expected a sofa sleeper to be clean. Most travelers, I assume, would put their children on this un...
1  Thank WT48
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

As the General Manager, I was equally distressed to learn that none of our associates had noticed, or reported, the condition of the sofabed mattress in that particular room, expecially the bigger stains on the underside of the mattress. I spoke with this guest for 25 minutes yesterday and took notes on her many suggestions. We have already reiterated with all our staff that they must alert their supervisor or manager whenever they see something broken, stained our just not right. We have begun a blitz of all our rooms with sofabeds, to inspect both sides of those mattresses. We will dispose of and replace any that need to be. We take cleanliness, sanitation and guest comfort very seriously and have ramped up our efforts to prevent such a thing from happeing again.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

My kids and wife went nuts as we drove into this hotel! So many gorgeous shops and restaurants surrounding this property! You can walk to all of it and a very nice, upscale AMC theater. My 12-yr old gave me a high five as we parked the car!

The inside is very nice and updated. Lots of areas to sit and relax. Staff was friendly and got our room quickly. Couldn't be happier with this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mcsmalley
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stay at the Emeryville Courtyard at least twice a year for work. I have found it extremely reliable. The hotel is clean and rooms are good. If you can get a bay view room on a higher up floor you might be able to see the Golden Gate Bridge, I always request one when I go. The area is great, it's across the street from restaurants, shops and a movie theater. It is also a stop on the emeryville go round which will drop you at the BART for convenient access into San Francisco. The staff is wonderful!! I would highly recommend the hotel!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We spent 4 nights here during a recent family trip to the San Fran area. First and foremost...everything in the San Fran area is horribly overpriced...it is the climate and the large city atmosphere. That said, if you can stomach hotel room rates of $200+ per night that do not include so much as complimentary cup of fresh hot coffee in the lobby, then this is your place. Our room was nice, but NO micro or refrigerator in the room. Pool area was small but sufficient. Beds were average...we felt like we sunk into it. A note of caution- the included "free" internet operates at dial up speeds...you pay extra for higher speed internet- annoying and unforgivable. Parking is available for an extra $9 daily charge. Overall I have a hard time recommending this hotel due to the rate and lack of included coffee (beyond the brew in your room type coffee one would find at a Super 8), lack of any included breakfast, lack of room amenities, and parking fee.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view room...ours did not.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you for staying at our hotel. It is true that hotel room rates in the SF Bay Area are higher than other parts of the country. Please know that the rate you reserved with us is very similar to nearby hotels. Like the room rate, our $9 parking fee and menu-priced breakfast are posted on our website and included in confirmations. Our coffee offerings are a coffee maker and free coffee packets in the rooms, free coffee in the lobby until the restaurant opens, and Starbucks coffee for a fee once the restaurant opens. Regarding refrigerators, they are permanently installed in a third of our rooms and can be delivered to the other rooms upon request. I am sorry that the Internet speed was a challenge during your visit. We did have some system glitches lately that have been resolved, and we are increasing the bandwidth coming into the hotel as well. We appreciate your feedback, as it lets us know where to improve our products and our communication. Thank you.

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel was a nice place to stay the night. I was in a King room that faced the bay, so I had a great view or San Francisco, the Bay Bridge, and the Golden Gate Bridge. The room is mostly updated- really all that needs updating are the wood finishes. The room was clean and smelled fresh. My favorite part was the bed, which was extremely comfortable- maybe even more comfortable than my own! My only complaint with this hotel is that they charge for parking. Overall I was pleased with my room and would recommend it as a cheaper option than staying in San Francisco. This hotel has great access to the city.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel is in a strange location right next to the freeway. If you don't know the area it would be very easy to get stuck on the wrong side of the freeway and have to of miles out of your way to get back. The lobby is nice with an overpriced starbucks and tiny convenience store. The rooms are not great and very tired looking. The one thing that was fantastic was the front side of the hotel is directly across from a very large shopping mall with a bunch of restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us. It’s true that we’re near “The Maze,” where a number of highways merge. Accurate driving directions are on our website, but we’ll review them just to be sure. A guest room renovation is being planned, with the completion date to be determined. We’re glad you enjoyed the mall across the street and hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
Oakland Marriott City Center
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina

Been to Courtyard Oakland Emeryville? Share your experiences!