“Great hotel, but a little way out of downtown San Fran”

HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Shropshire
“Great hotel, but a little way out of downtown San Fran”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

This hotel gave us more space than many downtown hotels would have done, which for a family of four (2 teenagers!) is quite important. As a result, we had to compromise on travel times into downtown SF. The free Emery-go-round helped a lot with this, and has a stop right next to the hotel.
We had two adjoining rooms that connected, giving us effectively a two bedroom suite with a spacious lounge and kitchen area. The swimming pool was ok and breakfast was really good - especially the scrambled egg!! It had lots of choice and was varied from day to day.
The only downside was the loud train noise and their hooters, however some of us found that we became used to them and didnt notice them.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Korean first
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We booked a king suite directly with the hotel for 3 nights stay, 3 months in advance to our arrival date. We got a confirmation email 1 week prior to arrival. When we checked in they said they had no king suites available for any of our nights and they were sorry but there was nothing they could do. We ended up with a double bed. The carpet was stained, there were stains on the chair. The free breakfast they offered was nothing to be desired. We actually tasted some of the food only to leave it on the plate and walk out to get some real breakfast. The only positive thing I can say was the hotel's location. I would definitely not reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I booked the Hyatt Summerfield Suites through priceline.com. I searched for a hotel near Berkeley and bid $56. My husband and I got a really good deal and spent as much on a roundtrip cab ride to the Greek Theater than the cost of the hotel room.
When you book on priceline you do not get a suite- you get a king sized bed in a rather small room. It was sufficient for our needs as we were simply staying there so we wouldn't have to drive all the way home to San Jose after the concert.
The best part of the hotel was the full complimentary breakfast offered in the hotel's restaurant. It included cereals, bread and pastries, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, potatoes, pancakes, fresh fruit, yogurt, a variety of juices, and coffee.
If we are ever doing anything in the east bay, I will try to book this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2011
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed in a two bedroom suite (two couples) which was very comfortable. The "living room" was spacious with a well equipped kitchen. The bedrooms were comfortable, if a bit snug, and the bathroom was great. Also included was a breakfast buffet which everyone enjoyed.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Was hesitant to book a hotel in "Oakland", but the location was really great. The hotel was right off the freeway, across the baybridge, next to many eateries and outdoor mall. The hotel rooms were very comfortable and clean. We had the 1 bedroom suite, seperate living room, full kitchen, and balcony that overlook the bay/marina. Was also hesitant due to the proximity to Amtrack station, but didn't even notice it or the noise that some reviewers have mentioned. The free parking, wifi and breakfast was a plus. Although, I wouldn't recommend the pancake, very hard to cut into. It took us less than 15 mins to get to downtown San Francisco.

Room Tip: Book rooms overlooking the bay.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Stayed there over the weekend, 7/22-7/24. My reservation confirmation said that it was a suite but when I checked in, the clerk said that it is a "traditional room", i.e. no kitchen amenities and just a bed in a room in their system. Go figured. I think they cut up my suite and sells the other portion to someone else.

Bed was clean. Bayview was great, and that makes it a mitigating factor.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Unfortunately, the room was the smallest I have experienced in a long time (and I travel a lot). What's worse is that the walls are paper thin. I am not sure what rooms the other people got, but my room was not what I expect from a Hyatt property. The neighbors on both sides of me kept me up most of the night with their tvs on. The thing is, the tv's weren't even that loud. I heard every word they said and they were not speaking loudly at all. I felt like I had to whisper the whole time so I wouldn't be heard by strangers. My room had a locked door to each room on both sides of me. I could literally see when they turned on their room lights.

However, the staff members at the desk were pleasant (they had plenty of ear plugs and admitted the walls are way too thin). The bed was pretty comfortable, and the location was convenient.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a suite, the standard rooms are small and noisy
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Hotel Shattuck Plaza
#1 of 20 in Berkeley

Been to HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area? Share your experiences!