“Earplugs, Really?”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Orlando, Florida
“Earplugs, Really?”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I know that you get what you pay for, but this one just cracked me up. My wife and I were looking for a reasonably priced overnight on the East Bay in order to get an early start heading north to Oregon.

We chose the Hyatt House because of it's location, and because we are fans of Hyatts in general. The hotel is clean, bigger than I expected, and includes a decent hot breakfast as part of the cost.

As soon as we checked in, we knew we were in trouble. The people next door had several kids, and I'm pretty sure they were bouncing off the walls. It was only 8pm, so I didn't say anything. We tried to go to sleep around 9pm, but it was impossible. In fairness to the hotel, I didn't call downstairs to complain. I decided that we'd wait until 10pm to see if the kids settled down. They did, and we finally got to sleep.

It wasn't until the next morning that my wife noticed that the hotel puts ear plugs next on the nightstands. That is absolutely a first.

i don't know if this is a consistent design flaw for Hyatt House nationwide, or just this location, but if you do come here, bring your own earplugs just in case.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Korean first
Villach, Austria
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Generally, this Hotel could be a good deal. The price is OK for San Francisco area, suites are large and clean, free internet, parking and breakfast. Relatively easy you can go to SF downtown by subway. The staff is very friendly and helpful!
But there is one very serious problem! It is the AMTRAK railway station, just behind the hotel. Although my suite was on the 10th floor, the trains woke me up very first morning and I couldn't fall asleep after that. Luckily, they had similar suite facing opposite side, so I moved immediately and then was OK.
One more thing that I didn't like is the breakfast. Whether you eat eggs, or potatoes, or sausages or anything else - everything has the same junky taste. However, I saw other people eating normally so probably, being European, I am just not used to this type of food. But at least there were fruits, so I could have something.

Room Tip: Avoid at any cost rooms facing railway station! Higher floors will also offer nicer view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Canton, Michigan
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is clean, modern and extremely spacious. We were visiting for a wedding in Berkeley with some activities in Oakland, and then sightseeing in San Francisco. This was centrally located. We rented a car to get around, and the hotel parking was free! Not a common find in this area, so we were extremely pleased by this. The staff was very courteous. A breakfast buffet was included in our room rate. They had a good selection of food and beverages. It seems very family friendly with a pool, too. Some things in walking distance included the public market across the street with many food choices and a good coffee shop. I would definitely stay here again. Only one downside that someone complained about is its next to the train station. The trains can be loud but the hotel provided complimentary ear plugs in our room. We never used them, the noise did not bother us at all.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Angie B
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed there two nights. We're there for soccer game. If we had a time we'd stay couple more days. If you are with family I'd prefer to upgrade your room to suites there is only 20$ difference. We didn't have a parking problem. It was 10-15 mins away from downtown of SF. Also its not that far from SFO international airport (approximately 30-35 mins). Another good thing about hotel is it has breakfast (food was good). It worth waking up at 8:30 and have a breakfast at there. I was trying to fing something in SF that was in safe area, with parking and not far from everywhere. I was happy with my choice.
PS: i you are planning to go to Napa Valley after San-Francisco then its a best place to stay. Because you can go to Napa without entering city traffic.

Room Tip: Try to get suit or room has a Bay view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I would like to recommend that anyone traveling to the Bay Area to stay at the Hyatt House Emeryville. The hotel has had a recent refresh and the property and rooms are very well decorated, clean and inviting. My wife has had some recent health issues and has been unable to travel, so I had a huge concern that she had a comfortable and relaxing trip. The Hyatt House didn't disappoint us one bit. The property manager, Alan, and his staff are very friendly and made our stay a wonderful experience. The hotel is very conveniently located to the Bay Area and all it's attractions/ sights. This hotel and it's staff will make your stay very enjoyable.

Room Tip: The west side has a Bay View ( higher the better and the east side has a view of the Amtrak Station...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RodM07
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I am many months late in posting this review, so maybe some of the issues we saw have been corrected. I hope so. We generally like Hyatt House hotels for family stays, but this one was a bit below par. For one thing, it was very shabby looking in the corridors and elevators, with stained and patched carpets. Some of the furniture in our room looked just plain worn out, and we were surprised that a Hyatt property seemed so long overdue for renovation. It made the stay less pleasant than it should have been. Also, breakfast was total chaos. The hotel was quite booked while we were there, but that's really no excuse. The staff were unable to keep up with demand for either food, dishes or utensils. When we first got into the breakfast line they ran out of plates. When we saw them bring out more plates, we went back up to the buffet to get plates and food, but then many of the food items were gone. I overheard a woman ask one of the staff if there were more spoons. He gave her an exasperated look and said they were getting things washed as quickly as possible. Then, he suggested to her that she complain to management, because that way maybe they'd buy enough dishes and utensils! Also, as others have noted, there is train noise at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 June 2014

As a Hyatt Gold member and a business traveler, I stayed in a recently redecorated corner room far from the elevators (1101). This turned out to have poor Wi-Fi connectivity which I'm told the property is presently working on to improve. I was able to connect a laptop (with very poor performance) but not my iPad3 or my Samsung smartphone.

In addition, business travelers expecting a desk with AC outlets will be disappointed. Until they complete a second phase of renovation (I am told), one has to use the kitchen island for a work surface, facing the kitchenette, and stringing the laptop AC power cable across the kitchen to a wall outlet. A hotel phone is plugged into the single island outlet. The island is uncomfortable for prolonged typing and your arms will be in a poor position, leaning against a very hard granite-like surface.

Other than these two very business traveler oriented complaints, this is a fine property though more expensive than other local alternatives. The front desk staff was exceedingly nice, helpful and concerned (thank you Minh). The room immaculate, spacious, nicely designed in a modern way though with cheaper furniture.

My room faced east almost overlooking the Emeryville train station, which meant for train noises throughout the night. That explains why there are ear plugs on the bedside table. I might recommend the other side of the hall, though I don't know ho much quieter it might be. My refrigerator also came on periodically during the night making a distinct repetitive tapping sound. So I did not get the best night's sleep but that may be more due to the room I was given.

The included hot breakfast was good, judged more by the freshness of available fruit than by anything beyond the normal scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes and such. The bathroom was large, well-lit and with adequate but not special soap/shampoo. I did not use the kitchenette but it looked quite adequate for family travelers.

I mentioned my business inconveniences to Minh at the front desk when I checked out, and he proactively added a note to my frequent stayer profile to avoid a end-of-hall/corner room...so on my next visit I could receive better Wi-Fi. That's unusually nice attention to guests, and probably pervades the staff.

Room Tip: Avoid corner rooms due to poor Wi-Fi
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DenverDoug88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Hotel Shattuck Plaza
#1 of 20 in Berkeley

Been to HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area? Share your experiences!