“Very nice place to stay. Ask for the front if you can't sleep through trains”

HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a very nice hotel. Very clean, great views and perfect for business travel. I don't mind trains and can sleep right through train noise, if you can't, ask for a room on the front. Earplugs come on the night stand with rooms on the back side. Don't let this deter you from staying here, this is nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front would be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We used this hotel for changing Amtrak trains the following day. Directly across the tracks from the station is the Hyatt House. We arrived late into Emeryville, walked to elevator nearby and used the walkway to across over the tracks. In less than 5 minutes we walked with luggage from the train to the hotel. Because of late arrival we only had time to do laundry, drink some wine before going to bed. The next morning we had a very good breakfast provided by the hotel and walked back to the station to catch our next train. It is a nice hotel but only had a few areas that were a bit messy or not clean. It is overpriced in comparison to other nicer Hyatt hotels.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Our family made multiple visits to the East Bay while looking for a new home near Cal, and we were frustrated by the expensive lodging options in Berkeley. For the same price (or lower) the Hyatt House in Emeryville includes breakfast and parking. Sold. From some rooms, you can even see the Campanile. A few negatives: the windows are absolutely filthy. They don't open, which is probably for the best: unless you pay for a view of the bay, your window overlooks a train and a freeway. Very noisy. The King suite with sofa bed is perfect for our family, though, and we really appreciate the tasteful furnishings and efficient layout. We've also spotted some moldy patches in the otherwise very nice bathrooms. On the whole, we will recommend this hotel to family and friends who visit us in Berkeley.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I know that you get what you pay for, but this one just cracked me up. My wife and I were looking for a reasonably priced overnight on the East Bay in order to get an early start heading north to Oregon.

We chose the Hyatt House because of it's location, and because we are fans of Hyatts in general. The hotel is clean, bigger than I expected, and includes a decent hot breakfast as part of the cost.

As soon as we checked in, we knew we were in trouble. The people next door had several kids, and I'm pretty sure they were bouncing off the walls. It was only 8pm, so I didn't say anything. We tried to go to sleep around 9pm, but it was impossible. In fairness to the hotel, I didn't call downstairs to complain. I decided that we'd wait until 10pm to see if the kids settled down. They did, and we finally got to sleep.

It wasn't until the next morning that my wife noticed that the hotel puts ear plugs next on the nightstands. That is absolutely a first.

i don't know if this is a consistent design flaw for Hyatt House nationwide, or just this location, but if you do come here, bring your own earplugs just in case.

1  Thank Paul C
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Generally, this Hotel could be a good deal. The price is OK for San Francisco area, suites are large and clean, free internet, parking and breakfast. Relatively easy you can go to SF downtown by subway. The staff is very friendly and helpful!
But there is one very serious problem! It is the AMTRAK railway station, just behind the hotel. Although my suite was on the 10th floor, the trains woke me up very first morning and I couldn't fall asleep after that. Luckily, they had similar suite facing opposite side, so I moved immediately and then was OK.
One more thing that I didn't like is the breakfast. Whether you eat eggs, or potatoes, or sausages or anything else - everything has the same junky taste. However, I saw other people eating normally so probably, being European, I am just not used to this type of food. But at least there were fruits, so I could have something.

Room Tip: Avoid at any cost rooms facing railway station! Higher floors will also offer nicer view.
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is clean, modern and extremely spacious. We were visiting for a wedding in Berkeley with some activities in Oakland, and then sightseeing in San Francisco. This was centrally located. We rented a car to get around, and the hotel parking was free! Not a common find in this area, so we were extremely pleased by this. The staff was very courteous. A breakfast buffet was included in our room rate. They had a good selection of food and beverages. It seems very family friendly with a pool, too. Some things in walking distance included the public market across the street with many food choices and a good coffee shop. I would definitely stay here again. Only one downside that someone complained about is its next to the train station. The trains can be loud but the hotel provided complimentary ear plugs in our room. We never used them, the noise did not bother us at all.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Angie B
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed there two nights. We're there for soccer game. If we had a time we'd stay couple more days. If you are with family I'd prefer to upgrade your room to suites there is only 20$ difference. We didn't have a parking problem. It was 10-15 mins away from downtown of SF. Also its not that far from SFO international airport (approximately 30-35 mins). Another good thing about hotel is it has breakfast (food was good). It worth waking up at 8:30 and have a breakfast at there. I was trying to fing something in SF that was in safe area, with parking and not far from everywhere. I was happy with my choice.
PS: i you are planning to go to Napa Valley after San-Francisco then its a best place to stay. Because you can go to Napa without entering city traffic.

Room Tip: Try to get suit or room has a Bay view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina

Been to HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area? Share your experiences!