“Best & Cheap Sushi”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Family owned Japanese local restaurant. Our little secret. The value is amazing, the fresh quality of the fish is superb. And, you can get sake and beer too. LOVE the mixed sushi plate.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

I tried Ogata based on other people's reviews here, and what they found so wonderful completely escapes me. The rolls were at best average; the green tea was at best average; the miso soup was at best average. The service was friendly but almost non-existent, and after waiting for 35 minutes to be given my bill, while others were waiting to be seated, I finally got up and went to the owner and paid. It is not a good deal for the price, and there was absolutely nothing remarkable or creative or intriguing going on in this place. You are probably better off getting sushi at the Whole Foods a few doors down and saving your money.

Reviewed 11 February 2012

Food and service were excellent. Try to hit happy hour. Cheaper drinks and appetizers.

Reviewed 28 December 2011

I've been here a few times ... the staff is nice, the rolls are okay ... but what I come here for is the chocolate brownie with green tea ice cream on top ... AMAZING. Honestly, we usually get pho at Kim's down the street and come to Ogata for dessert. YUM!

Reviewed 7 September 2011

OK, first of all do not tell anyone about this place. It is just too good to be true. Let's keep it to ourselves. I have always been a fan of Japanese food, have eaten in many restaurants in Japan, and my wife is Japanese. When we first tried Ogata several years ago, we thought that we had died and gone to heaven. We have been going there regularly ever since. This is casual dining and not a fancy place, but that is what I prefer on most occasions. (Sorry, they are closed on Sundays.)

This is run as a family business by Japanese family and their Japanese help. (They don't discriminate, but if you can read Japanese you will see the help wanted sign written only in Kanji.) When you enter the restaurant you will be warmly greeted, and when you leave they will personally thank you for your visit, just like in Japan. In between, the service is unusually fast and attentive. Now for the kicker: the best and cheapest sushi in San Diego, bar none. Try the Delux Sushi Special.......you won't believe it. Some adaptations to Western tastes, but as good as it gets. My wife loves the down-home authentic Japanese comfort food, just like Mom used to make. For years there was this businessman from Japan who would come in every night, and without ordering his meal would be brought to him (without the Western adaptations, which you too can become upon request).
So, mum is the word, right?

2  Thank pontevecchio56