Moonlight Beach Motel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Encinitas
See available hotels
View Hotel
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge(Cardiff-by-the-Sea)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe managersmoonlight beachwithin walking distanceseparate bedroomsand toysquiet hourssouthern endgreat beachthree generationsshower stallcool breezebeach volleyballshort strollfull kitchencoffee makerrooms are largethird floor room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I had a GREAT stay at The Moonlight Beach Motel!! Its a very cosy place in a great location and the managers Debra and George are extremely nice. I was surprised to see how big the rooms were - the size of a 2 room apartment with fully equipped kitchen, a big balcony with a fantastic ocean view, nice bathrooms and a big bedroom. Everything you need is there (including wireless internet and tv), its clean and everyone in the staff are friendly. On top of that you have a cosy bbq area just outside the window and coffee and muffins in the morning are included in the rate.
Locationwise it couldnt be better! In just 2 minutes you are on the moonlight beach or on the coast highway 101 where you find lots of small and cosy shops, cafes and restaurants. The neighbourhood is so charming, with its small streets and beautyful creatively build houses. If you like surfing, this is the place. The Lofty Bean is just around the corner where you can get a 2$ cup of organic coffee, and very close is also the wholefoods market that offers very good food.
I stayed at the moonlight beach motel for 8 days - 6 of them alone, and I was as a woman not uncomfortable walking the streets alone after dark in this neighbourhood, its a friendly place.

I highly recommend this place, its a very, very good motel, the rates are better than other hotels/motels in this area and you dont want to miss having your own balcony with a pacific ocean view.

Room Tip: 2nd andf 3rd floor has the balcony with oceanview.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Laerke N
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Laerke N,
Thanks so much for finding us in your journey and sharing your wonderful energy as you dashed off each day to another local Encinitas adventure. You did the game "room dance" of changing rooms and staying extra days like a MBM pro ... another great international traveler ...

I hope you are able to return before you return to Copenhagen.

cheers ...

geo & deb

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Room have no security chains. George the manager made sexually suggestive comments to me.  When I rebuffed him he became angry and screamed at me to get out of the room.  He even offered not to charge me.  The rooms have no security chains so I blocked the door with a chair.

I specifically asked for NO MAID SERVICE and posted the DO NOT DISTURB sign outside my door.  I was gone from the room for an hour.  When I returned it was obvious someone had been in my room.

Stayed: March 2012
12  Thank fioria13
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

FOR THE Forth TIME !!! I state …
Please be advised that this review was posted on different sites, now four different times, FLAGGED and taken down but under a different names. I have been in touch with TripAdvisor and FLAGGED this review also and told them the truth about the situation and the kind of person we were dealing with. Please read all the true and honest reviews on this site and others that so many travelers have posted about the motel, and you can make your own decisions. We pride our self on our reputation.

This situation was in no way as it was described by the guest in her so called review. I know these kind of issues are going to the supreme court for such problems with postings like this.

I hope this clears up any questions as to the truth of this matter.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed our kids and I for spring break and really had tons of FUN! listen this place is super comfy, wonderful staff, great area for bbq with OCEAN view and very nice 3 minute stroll from the room. there is a coffee shop around the corner the LOFTY BEAN that makes the best lattes and banana nut bread. Very nice, the location has good place to eat. The drive around if you need to run any where is all close and shopping is good. This is the place if you come to Encinitas you stay at the "Moonlight Beach Motel"!

We will be back here again! my children were comfortable here the beds were amazingly comfy and listen if your looking for a great price and great kind service? this is the place for you or for you and the family together!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Chrys H
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

chrysH,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Moonlight Beach Motel on TripAdvisor. It's always nice to hear what first time guests have to say about the motel ... I must give you 5 stars for being such a wonderful mom and your children were so polite and wonderful to have as guests ...

"definition of polite - 1. showing good manners toward others, as in behavior, speech, etc. 2. refined or cultured:"

We look forward to your return visit ... cheers geo & deb

Reviewed 6 March 2012

With two friends, I stayed for six nights at the Moonlight Beach Motel. It is a great location for visiting the San Diego area. George and Deb were very helpful and went out of their way to make sure our needs were met--there was some confusion in the beginning which they jumped to put right. We enjoyed beach walks and sunsets and the convince of being able to walk to the downtown area with its funky shops and very good food. While it is true the rooms are a bit dated, they are clean, with plenty of space to spread out.

I would stay there again and recommend the accommodation to friends.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the Ocean ask for the second or third floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank SunshineFL37
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed for 3 nights, great location, great town, rooms are dated, but very clean, new managers are friendly and helpful, our only complaint is they do not offer a discount for long term stays, which seems strange as there was a lot of lower floor rooms empty, it would make sense to give long term rates for non view rooms at least.

Some construction going on but managers were very upfront about it

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms have a view, but will cost you $15 a night more, we spent all day on the beach, so we did not need the view rooms
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple