“Great late nite food on a Wednesday. ”

Blue Ribbon Artisan Pizzeria
Ranked #38 of 302 Restaurants in Encinitas
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Holy crap, it's good. My wife loved the Brussels sprouts, our Blanco Pizza with prosciutto was excellent and the butterscotch pudding was REALLY good. You need to try it.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Blue Ribbon is a tiny, noisy, overcrowded restaurant. Be prepared to wait over an hour if you go on the weekend (they don't take reservations), and to be whisked to and from your table by overstressed, unsmiling waiters. The good side of the restaurant is that they use local produce, local micro brews and support sustainable farming. Their music is kind of cool too, even if too loud. But the bad sides are numerous. In my opinion the crust and tomato sauce of a pizza make 90% of the experience. Here the crust was beyond crispy (read almost charred) and tasteless (except taste of char). The tomato sauce was almost sour, with little taste of tomato and an overwhelming amount of bitter herbs (oregano?). The toppings were OK, reasonably fresh and tasty but they looked liked they have been tossed carelessly onto the crust. The worst part is the gluten free crust : obviously made from white rice flour, it cooks much faster than wheat flour-based dough, and they don't seem to understand that. My crust was so burnt and hard I could not cut it, even biting into it was hard. And they charge an additional $2 for it! It looks like at Blue Ribbon not only gluten intolerant people have to pay for their condition, but also that they can be fed low quality stuff under the pretense of being taking care of. Thank you so much...
The pizza size is somewhat too big for a single person, but too small to be shared by 2 people. However they provide boxes to take the leftovers home.
Most people have been raving about the butterscotch pudding. To me it's just 100% low quality fat, over sweet, a tasteless calorie bomb. I couldn't have more than 2 spoonfuls, I was getting sick.
And all of this doesn't come cheap either, so it's easy to run up a bill that will unsettle your stomach too. A poor experience altogether.

2  Thank Dr_Pea7
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This was my first time at Blue Ribbon. The wait was over an hour, but the place is so tiny and the food so good, you don't mind the wait.

I'm pretty particular about my pizza and I can say that this was excellent. The pizza was the right size with just the right amount of toppings and served at a temperature you could actually eat it without blowing on it or waiting for it too cool off while drooling.

I recommend any of the pizzas, the meatballs were amazing and the brushchetta yummEEE.

If you get a chance, go out of your way to make it here.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This wonderful little chef-owned Pizzeria has unique and crazy good pizzas and wonderful salads but the real treat is the one dessert that people drive here for a caramel pudding . I highly recommend it , when in the coastal city of Encinitas it can be found in the Lumberyard Plaza. The only issues is that it is small and generally you have to wait but worth it

Reviewed 28 April 2014

On a recent trip to Southern California my son treated me to dinner at this little pizzeria. We ordered an appetizer of deep fried brussell sprouts which were so good I could have eaten the whole plate for my dinner! We each ordered a salad with fresh greens, strawberries and a wonderful dressing. The margarita pizza was by far the best I have had anywhere (sorry NYC but...). The restaurant is quite small and we sat at the bar because it was so busy. The bartender was very friendly and attentive to making sure we had what we needed and submitted our order timely. I can not wait to go back again and HIGHLY recommend this little slice of heaven in Encinitas. Great chefs, good service, and outstanding food. What else do you need?
Oh yeah, the beers are good too!