“Writing this review from Istanbul”
Review of Bird House Grill - CLOSED

Bird House Grill
Price range: US$10 - US$10
Cuisines: Greek, Turkish
Solana Beach, California
“Writing this review from Istanbul”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I have gone to this family run restaurant forever, and they have implantented into my subconscious that I needed to visit Turkey for some reason or other. They have succeeded and now I write this review, in a beautiful little hotel non Istanbul near Sirkeci station, where Murder on the Orient Express starts. I now understand the Turkish hospitality experienced first in Encinitas.

LA
“As good as the food in Turkey”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I'm a bit puzzled at some of the negative review from a few years ago. I've been coming to this place for about 3 years and its always been excellent. The kebabs are great, and the kofte combination meal is tasty and large. Plus there's ample choices for vegetarians. The interior is simple but nice decorated with Turkish kitsch. They have belly dancer entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights so make reservations. My best recommendation is that we spent a month in Turkey recently and this was at least as good as any place we ate at there.

• Visited November 2011
All over
“Lived in Turkey for 4 years and this as good as it gets stateside”
Reviewed 9 July 2010

The Iskendar Kebab is the closest thing I've found in the states to what I remember so fondly in from Turkey. Freshness can be hit and miss but food is always above average and outstanding most of the time. If you want Turkish food try this place out.

1 Thank jamesnp89
san diego ca
“The iskandar is not made with ketchup”
Reviewed 7 March 2009

I have this dish about half the time I go there so have had it many times and it's never been made with ketchup. That is kind of insulting. It's some type of tomato sauce but it's definitely not ketchup. I think it is very good.

I like that you can BYOB and no corkage; if you forget to bring something, there's a liquor store a couple of blocks down with a wide selection.

The baklava is fantastic, home made but they usually run out fast so if you want this call ahead first.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook