“Great family run Mexican Restaurant”
Review of La Especial Norte

La Especial Norte
Ranked #38 of 314 Restaurants in Encinitas
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 22 July 2014

With all the great Mexican restaurants in San Diego I can always count on La Especial Norte to serve up fast, fresh Mexican food at a reasonable price. Their specialty are the full page of soups but almost everything on the menu is very good. They also make great hand squeezed margaritas !!! Never disappointed and they can get you in-an-out quickly if you are in a hurry.

1  Thank KevinEnEncinitas

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I live in such a wonderful beach community in Leucadia and this is again a restaurant we can walk to from our beach home! They are famous for their home made soups, from full on seafood soups, to albondigas, muendo and my love for the chicken tortilla soup! Go for breakfast and you will be full all day! Always crowed and been there for over 20 yrs. that says something.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

When the urge for Mexican cuisine strikes you, be aware that you can savor the finest Mexican dishes at La Especial Norte on Hwy 101 in Leucadia. Have you heard that the soups that they prepare are legendary? Well, it’s a fact! Tortilla soups, Chicken soups, Albondigas soups, Seafood soups, you name it, they prepare it and they do it well!

Not only that but all the rest of the entrees are just as carefully and exquisitely created. Prepare yourself for a feast, anytime that you wish to visit. A soup selection is sufficient for a meal by itself for most folks. But bring a hearty appetite if you choose one of the flavorful combination plates usually accompanied by rice and beans.

Freshly made tortilla chips and that magnificent home-made salsa are brought to your table promptly by a friendly smiling waitress. The service is always prompt and your servers are friendly. It’s a family establishment and the turnover rate is vanishingly small.

It helps to know the menu because it is extensive, and a quickly placed order is attended to with dispatch. Furthermore, prices are always fair and reasonable. I’ve been a frequent patron over the last several decades so I should know. I’ve never been disappointed yet.

1  Thank Rolf Z
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Love the chicken soup, ordered the camerones al mojo de ajo and it was the best. Always make time to stop here when I am down in San Diego area.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

During my visit to Carlsbad my sister, who lives in California, came for an afternoon. Since she and her husband love Mexican food, I picked out a place that had very good reviews.

My brother-in-law ordered chiles rellenos. He did not take more than 2 bites. Said the spices used were overpowering.

My sister ordered enchiladas. First they brought her a chiles rellenos and an enchilada. The waiter insisted that she ordered it though the rest of us heard her ask for enchiladas only. Finally they agreed to replace it with another enchilada. Even though she ordered shredded beef, they were full of peppers.I ordered chicken enchiladas suiza. They were awful. No favor at all and even though they told me the chicken was white meat, it was full of dark meat too.

My friend tried the enchiladas suiza and another enchilada. She did not eat hers either. She said only the beer she ordered was good.

It was a waste of $60. Would never go back.