“Happy to discover this spot.”

San Diego Botanic Garden
Ranked #3 of 32 things to do in Encinitas
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore four miles of garden trails, enjoy restful vistas, flowering trees, majestic palms, and the nation’s largest bamboo collection. Thanks to our mild climate, plants from all over the world thrive here. Our diverse topography provides a variety of microclimates giving the visitor a sensation of going from a desert environment to a tropical rainforest, all within 37 acres.Located 30 minutes north of San Diego in Encinitas, California, San Diego Botanic Garden features numerous exhibits, including rare bamboo groves, desert gardens, a tropical rainforest, California native plants, Mediterranean climate landscapes, succulent gardens, an herb garden, firesafe landscaping, a subtropical fruit garden, and native coastal sage natural areas. In June of 2009, we opened the Hamilton Children's Garden, the largest interactive children's garden on the West Coast.
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I visited on a Saturday with my mom and husband. We were happy to discover this little gem in San Diego. It is not spectacular but still is a wonderful place to spend half a day walking around in the garden (they have a bamboo garden, tropical fruit garden, rain forest, Mexican garden and many more) or picnicking in the gazebo or just relaxing on one of the benches! It could be a good outing for kids too. After repeated weekends of beach hopping and lying in the sun, we thought this was a good change!

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This was a wonderful, educational garden with a huge variety of plants that even my master gardener parents were taken with. But the free Tuesday was full of screaming , unruly kids and an army of strollers. I felt bad for the older seniors, who were dodging running children while trying to enjoy the garden. It's worth paying the park fee if it means a more serene experience.

1  Thank Kim M
Reviewed 1 July 2014

What a fabulous place this is! I was attending a family wedding there on a Friday afternoon, but walked down from my nearby hotel (great Best Western!) to check it out in the morning; folks were so helpful and I roamed around in the beauty, knowing there would not be time to do that at the wedding!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I hated going to places like this when I was a kid! We went to the Botanical Gardens with our adult children and young grandchildren. We all enjoyed it. There is an area for children that we all enjoyed. It is a lovely place to walk around. You are doing an easy hike in some areas and enjoying beautiful views. The Gardens are like an oasis in a busy world.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Tired of the beach? Head to the Botanical Garden for the afternoon. What a wonderful experience. It was a quiet retreat from a busy afternoon.