“We stay 3 times a year”

Ranked #2 of 5 Encinitas B&B and Inns
Florida
“We stay 3 times a year”
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We produce an antique show in Del Mar, which is just down the road. I have been putting our show staff up at his little hotel for a few years now and decided to try it for ourselves a few shows ago. It is a 1940's style motor inn, but the rooms have been updated and are very clean. Flat screen TV's are great as are the new mattresses. Only drawback for us is that we stay 2 weeks for the show and storage space is lacking, but not o much of a problem to make us no stay here again in the future. Todd and Doug and Jennifer are very helpful and accomodating and we will be back in January and April for the Del Mar Antique Show & Sale.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MrMichaelFlorida

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Palm Desert, California
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I have traveled to Encinitas throughout my life and wanted to visit again. I choose this hotel because of the charm and quaintness. I was not disappointed. The room was super clean and decorated cute. The bed was so comfortable and I slept well. I'm not a good sleeper. The man at the front desk was friendly. Not a lot of noise from the neighbors. Parking may be a problem since it is in a courtyard. TV was ok bring your own tablet or computer to watch DVDs. The beach access was so close and easy not crowded like other spots. It is great location it is close to the downtown area but you don't get the business. I laugh at the train noise complaints because any coastal town from Orange County to San Diego has the famous Surfliner. I will book again for my nest trip to Encinitas.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Amy W
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I stayed here last week (August 2012) Don't be fooled by choosing a room on their website when booking, you don't get the room you booked! I didn't get the courtyard room I booked, I got an upstairs (difficult stairs) in an adjoining annexe with a window overlooking the staircase. The bed/matress was old and squeaky and lumpy, and the pilows were flat and stinky. The shower had mould between the grouting and the towels had already been used and were grubby. There was a microwave, coffee maker and stove. There were no cups or mugs, there was one dirty and chipped plate and bowl and no cutlery, so we couldn't use the cooking facilities anyway. The air conditioning is useless. The walls are paper thin and you can hear EVERYTHING that other guests are doing saying. The place is run down and for one night cost me double what a 4 star luxury hotel did the next night. It's an aboslute disgrace, dirty and a complete rip off.

Room Tip: There is nothing good to recommend at all.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Splebpot
Tecate
Reviewed 3 July 2012

For the price I expected a little more..... The room was small, clean but cheaply furnished. The beds were just OK. The staff was very accomodating (he went out to buy us ice because the Inn doesn't have an ice machine). It was difficult to connect with the wifi when we stayed there and we were told that they were going to change the connection.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank abetjt
Rosarito, Mexico
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I started staying here regularly while in the area for work. The management was very helpful in setting up a standing reservation for me. I found everyone working here to be pleasant and flexible. Having the kitchenette and little table with chairs is a great amenity for me and worth sacrificing some of the things found at bigger chain hotels. (Bring your own hair dryer and bath products.) I had plenty of dishes and pots to cook dinner, and the rooms come with a coffee maker (coffee provided). There is a soda machine on the premises. I had ice cream in the freezer for several days, and it was nice and cold (I'm always skeptical about those small fridges). Good cable selection and free wifi are a nice touch. I've seen several of the rooms here, and they were all spotless (and non-smoking). When the maid came to clean my room and I wasn't ready to leave yet, she happily obliged me by coming back later. The rooms all appeared to have air conditioners, although in the winter, heat would be a nice bonus--it's chilly by the ocean. Excellent storage in each room, so you don't have to have your luggage and clothing taking up your space. The exterior is charming and well maintained and fits in the neighborhood. There are a lot of mom and pop ethnic restaurants, shops, and coffee places in this area along the 101, as well as a surf shop on just about every block (good place to bring your bike to explore). Very little traffic on the 101 late at night, and the only noise I heard was the occasional train going by. Great value if you like something a little different and in an area with some character. I read the reviews here, and it was my experience that they have worked hard to correct the complaints registered in the older reviews.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side get morning sun, but there are areas to sit outside for everyone. The websit...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank BajaBeachGal
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Okay, had read the reviews and knew this would be a unique stay, which is exactly what it was. Hotel is very reasonably priced and for those traveling on a budget perfect in that way. Very old little inn from the early days of coastal auto travel. I had expected small but was a bit taken back upon arrival. Hotel only has a dozen rooms or so in a very quaint small courtyard, imagine if sold out parking can be quite a challenge. Everything was immaculate inside and outside, it's clear the owners take great care in this small property from keeping the rooms clean to keeping the parking lot clean. The lot by the way features some very nice small fountains always running giving a nice sound to the lot. The room, well it was clean but a bit cold. Very cold tile floor on this evening in December, very small bathroom. Not sure if the kitchenette sink wouldn't of been better off as a bathroom sink to use, since the one in the bathroom was so tight to use. The TV in the room was unbelievably tiny with a huge remote (see pics), never have i seen a case where the remote literally was nearly as big as the tv, and with poor reception. I know, i know not travelling to watch tv, but certain expectations exist. Again, i remind myself that it's a clean hotel, quaintly decorated, each room individualized, and good bargain pricing. But, then we come to the bed. Why not a nice thicker comforter, the one on the bed was flat, thin and not very inviting to lay one. Bed is not all that cofortable being very stiff. And the piece de resitance, two very very very thin pillows, with no extras. Was very difficult to sleep on these paper think pillows and uncomfortable bed. Would suggest bringing your own pillows when staying here. I don't really understand something as simple and basic as the pillows not being upgraded. So, there ya go, a mixed bag of tricks and if you don't plan on being in the room much or are a young couple ready to have fun this may be perfect. As i said it is very cute and clean and reasonably priced, but small, and uncomfortable with few amenities, other than the kitchenette. Choice is yours.

Room Tip: on line you can pick your own room on their website
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank northernk
Leucadia, CA
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We lived in Leucadia and were familiar with the Beach Inn's attractive exterior, cute courtyard and convenient location. Leucadia is known for being a pretty funky neighborhood, 'mixed', if you will, and this is definitely the most attractive hotel north of Encinitas Boulevard, not to mention Leucadia Boulevard.

We had no issue with the check-in service, they gave us an excellent room, upstairs in the newer building. The older part is a refurbished motor court from the old days of Highway 101. Our room was very large and clean, and attractively decorated. It even had a kitchenette! Having lived right across the street we weren't concerned about the train noise; I can't comment on it because I don't even notice it!
It is close enough to walk to the excellent Karina's taco shop, Leucadia Donuts in the other direction, and Just Peachy market, in addition to other charming restaurants and surfy shops along Highway 101. An upscale Mexican restaurant and bakery are going in right down the block as we speak. Beach access is at Beacon's, up the hill and a couple blocks south. It's a little further if you'd rather go north to Grandview, which has a sturdy stairway by which to navigate the steep cliff down to the beach.
Stay here and enjoy the atmosphere of Leucadia. Sidewalk watching is quite rewarding here, with surfers, skaters, masses of road cyclists, dog strollers, baby walkers, and others enjoying the mellow weather. Just thinking about the place makes me smile.

Room Tip: Ask if you want a room with kitchenette or fridge!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Encinitas
Rodeway Inn - Encinitas
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Days Inn Encinitas- Moonlight Beach

Been to Leucadia Beach Inn? Share your experiences!