BEST WESTERN Encinitas Inn & Suites at Moonlight Beach
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Encinitas
Seattle, United States
“Dark & gloomy”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My family & I stayed at this hotel because it was reasonably close to LEGOLAND and very close to the beach. The stairwells were dark and the carpet hadn't been vacuumed in a long time, dirty outside (needs a good pressure wash), we had sugar ants, the water pressure was warm to hot when I showered with my daughter after using the pool, the doors stuck to enter/exit, the metal in room is rusty, our toilet flooded and we couldn't turn off the water connection (no knob) but cleaned up the water. The great thing is the room was spacious and parking and breakfast were included for $180/nt!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Cbelt, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Encinitas Inn & Suites at Moonlight Beach, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Shayna B

We would like to let you know how much we appreciate your review. We are glad you were able to see the value in the price. We do have a lot of amenities included with the stay. Free parking, Free Wifi, Free fitness center, free continental breakfast and pool/jaquzzi. During the summer rates are high for the entire area, but off season rates are very affordable. We would like to invite you again to give us another try.

We are in process after summer of doing more renovations to the property to enhance the guest experience.

Christina Shapiro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Atascadero, United States
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel 1-3x per year for the past 7 years. It gets steadily worse with the staff, service, cleanliness, and wear and tear of the hotel. I have stayed in Best Westerns all over the world and one of the reasons is because of the non-smoking policies. People inevitably will smoke at this hotel and I always call the front desk to report smoking above and to the sides of me, and am usually told they will notify the guests of the no-smoking policy. This stay July 11-13 I was informed by the front desk that guests are allowed to smoke on their balconies. This is the first time in 7 years I have heard this. Since the balconies are part of the structure of the hotel I'm pretty sure this is in violation of the Best Western policy regardless of the laxness of San Diego County adhering to the California state smoking laws, or individual franchisees making up their own policies. Either way it is intolerable and unacceptable for health-conscious people allergic to cigarette smoke and who pay the very high prices because of the nice big balconies at this hotel,which are a waste of money when all you're smelling is cigarettes and marijuana while you're trying to enjoy the fresh sea air. Steph/Steff was extremely rude about the smoking problem and laughed when I complained of the guests above tossing cigarette butts down onto our balcony and flying by as they tossed them to the bushes below, creating a fire hazard in our drought-stricken state. He did send someone to clean it up, the only good employee I encountered, the nice and friendly maintenance man. Also the rooms are rarely ready whether you try to check in early or on time, so you have to start early trying to check in so that you can get in at a decent time. I once waited until 4:30 for a room to be ready here. They will tell you to come back in 20 minutes a couple of times, then when you go to the room, to come back in 5 minutes a couple of times. I really do like the location of the hotel and roominess of the King Suites but it is no longer worth it to stay here and let the staff and smoke ruin my leisure, I can have crappy service, dirty outdated decor, and low-class smokers for half the price at other hotels. The balcony furniture has not been replaced or repaired in 7 years and there are cigarette burns on the balcony chairs in every room I've stayed. When I was returning late Saturday evening 7/12/14 I could see why enforcement of the no-smoking policies was lax when I observed the front desk clerk standing right outside the lobby door smoking a cigarette and had to walk through his cloud of smoke to go to our suite. After complaining last summer July 2013 about similar problems, I was given a 30% discount on my next stay which I utilized in January 2014 but this time no discount will compensate me, I wouldn't stay here again for a discount or even for free, definitely wouldn't even waste my Best Western rewards points here unless drastic improvements were made in the staff attitude and the enforcement of no smoking at all on the property. After all it is still illegal in California to possess/smoke weed unless you have a medical card so this hotel is also breaking the law saying it's okay to smoke it on the balcony..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Encinitas, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Arrived very late, midnight, on our wedding night and had easy access to our room with an ocean view on the 2nd floor. Prior arrangements were made by our family and I didn't have any hassle with check in.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Hayden A

We are so pleased you enjoyed Best Western Encinitas. We aim to please and we are so glad this hotel worked out for your wedding event. We try to do all we can to make it very easy for the guest to check in and check out. This hotel lends itself quite well for wedding parties and events.

We also offer group discounts for wedding parties.

Please come and stay with us soon again.

La Quinta, California
Reviewed 3 July 2014

wow - we were surprised as we drove up to the property and our hearts sank seeing this place outside and inside since their website pictures and some write ups didn't even come close to what was reality!
As you pull up to the entry, there are two real big dumpsters and buildings on the right...nice touch. You then realize hey where's the view...and its not near the ocean!
As we walked into the lobby, a young scruffy looking (~20 something) was standing behind the desk...no real uniform...just jeans and a worn out polo untucked, torn at the bottom. We were on the 2nd floor and the room is very old and had very poor beds (extremely soft/sag). The deck was big but very dirty and worn and the view...yea you see the ocean way out there with roofs and dumpsters below.
Our "complete deluxe continental breakfast" was a joke....omelets were something that looked like a half folded sandwich that contained only some bad cheese...tasted like cardboard - I spit it out! Very poor tasting sausages and bacon and the beagles were very poor tasting too. I drank coffee. No we will not be staying here again and yes I will be contacting Best Western Corporate - there were very few people staying here..Place has not been remodeled since the 1980s - they need to sell it.

Room Tip: Rooms elsewhere ...anywhere should be better than this place!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 816RV
Dear 816RV

First of all, thank you for your review. We take the time to read all reviews and learn from what our guests are telling us. You are very important to us.

We had been remodeling the property that is why the giant dumpster was there. It has since been removed. For the rest of summer we will not be doing any more projects. We will resume to do some renovations after summer and when occupancy is down. It may take up to two years to complete and remain open.

We have provided all the staff with proper uniforms and do expect them to be presentable at all times. We are sorry that the previous employee you encountered was not up to par.

We also have added some new enhancements to the breakfast to better improve the quality of the stay.

We do hope you will return

Please contact me personally as I will ensure a great stay.

Evanston, IL, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2014

While well located and very appealing from the outside, this hotel is dirty and tired. Lights that didn't work, though reported and asked to be fixed, were never acknowledged. Hallways, stairs, elevators are stained and disgusting. Even the lobby furniture is dirty, stained, and shabby.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Sharon G
Dear Sharon G

Thank you for your honest opinion about the hotel. It was not our intention for you to have a bad impression. We are working real hard to improve the state of the property. We have remodeled the third floor and have plans to renovate the other floors after summer.

We value your business and do hope you will return soon. This property has a great location and offers so much to its guests.

Please contact me directly and I will ensure a great stay.

760-942-7455
Las Vegas, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Great Location and parking. Looks good from outside. Rooms are dated and carpet and furnitiure are very worn. Could not get clean towels in a timely manner. Will stay elsewhere next time as all we were looking for was a clean place to stay with good service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rpbert B

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with your stay. We will be in process of updating our rooms after summer. It may take up to two years to update everything while still open. Our entire third floor king rooms have been redone. We have many plans of enhancing the guest experience here at the hotel.

We do value every guest and every opinion.

Do call me personally and I will ensure an improved stay.

Lambertville, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I found myself hotel-less on a Saturday evening due to travel change, and San Diego was almost fully booked for a conference. As I was already up north a bit, I was aware of the Best Western and gave them a call. Firstly, the room was affordable and available. More importantly, the room, hotel and check-in/out was excellent. The location can't be beat. Just a couple of minutes from the beaches, from downtown Encinitas and easy access to 5 (I was at the airport in <25 minutes). The pool area is wonderful, almost like a vacation hotel. The wireless connection was very good. I guess I had a suite, as I had a queen bed with kitchen area. Bed was comfortable and room was quiet. Very nice private veranda. I would definitely recommend and will make this one of my preferred hotels in the area.

Room Tip: I face Encinitas Blvd, so no view. You'll need to request a view room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear trinzeon,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We strive to offer excellent service and offer all that we can to make each and every guest feel good. Our prices are great, even in the high season and the location can't be beat.

We hope you will stay with us again,

Christina Shapiro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Encinitas
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - ...
#2 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
#5 of 36 in Carlsbad
Portofino Beach Inn
Portofino Beach Inn
#9 of 9 in Encinitas

Been to BEST WESTERN Encinitas Inn & Suites at Moonlight Beach? Share your experiences!