“The room, front desk personnel, breakfast, was right on...”

Quality Inn Encinitas Near Legoland
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Encinitas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had a King "Pet Friendly" room for 5 days/4 nites. Check in was at 3pm. I arrived at 4:15 only to be told my room would not be ready for about another hour & could I go take a ride somewhere & grab a bite to eat? Are you kidding? I had a dog with me & I was tired. The desk clerk finally asked the maids to clean my room right away. When I asked if I would get a discount for the inconvenience of not being able to check into my room until 2+ hours after checkin time, I was told that I already got a good rate on my room. I advised the clerk that one had nothing to do with the other & he told me to take it up with the manager. Terrible customer service!!! I didn't even bother as I figured I would get the same answer from the manager.

The rug in my room was disgusting!! I walked across the room barefoot twice & my feet were black. Wear slippers! I kept washing my dogs' paws because the rug was so dirty & I laid towels down on the floor so we could walk across the room. When was the last time they cleaned the rug? And I don't mean vacuumed, I mean CLEANED!

The room itself was very clean and surprisingly quiet considering the 'pet friendly' rooms face the highway, I didn't hear any street/highway noise at all. The bed was really comfortable!

TV was old, bad reception but lots of cable channels. They need to update.

When I asked what was so pet friendly about the room, clerk replied "nothing", just that they are all located in the same area. There is nothing pet friendly about this hotel other than they allow them. It's a big joke. They charge a flat rate of $35 per pet which I think is quite high and you get nothing in return for that. Not even doggie waste bags or a dog walking area.

Breakfast consisted of hard boiled (or rubber) eggs, stale danish & muffins. They must buy in bulk at the beginning of the week & keep putting out the same food until it's gone. There were 4 kinds of dry (& stale) cereal. Milks, juices, coffee, & tea. The only thing fresh was the fruit-bananas, apples, oranges & grapefruit (sometimes).

The hotel is situated in an awkward location which you cannot get to from across the road. If you are coming from the east, you have to go over the highway & make a u-turn to get back, sitting through several lights. It's quite annoying & time consuming.

Other than that, it is located in an area that has many stores/restaurants including walmart & target being only about a mile away.

Not a terrible hotel but there are better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

HJ-Management, General Manager at Quality Inn Encinitas Near Legoland, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Our sincere apology for the experience you had during your stay with us. We are a pet friendly hotel and we do have designated pet friendly rooms available on the 1st floor. The only difference between a pet friendly vs non pet friendly room is that you are allowed/not allowed to have a pet in a particular room. The reason for our $35.00 fee is to keep up with maintenance in this room due to the pet. Doggie wastes bags are not in the rooms, but they are placed throughout the parking lot for convenience.

Due to the limited amount of availabilities of the pet friendly rooms, the rooms may not be readily available to be checked in right away; therefore, we apologize for the room not being able to be checked in around 4:00pm.

Although several improvements have been made to this property, we still understand that some items are in need of upgrade. We are constantly working our budget to improve the quality of the guest room. We are glad to hear that the noise level was at minimum due to our double pane window and the door seals.

Breakfast is one area we do our best to keep things fresh. Pastries are ordered from a local bakery and delivered fresh every morning. If the quality issue of being stale did occur than we will have to bring this up to our bakery and inform them. (Which we will)

It's great that the hotel is located right off the freeway for convenience, but the downside to this is the annoying median that prevents vehicles to turn into/out of the hotel traveling West which we can all agree on.

We appreciate your sincere comment and we will continue to improve our property for the better.

Indio, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This HJ is getting better. It used to be pretty bad as far as the guests & carpets/cleanliness. However, they are upgrading some of the rooms & it seems to be that there's more families (then "working ppl" ..if you know what I mean). Some of the front desk attendents need some help, but a few of them are very nice (like the manager Kenta & Brendan). Brendan was very helpful at gettin a room for us last minute when everything else was sold out. We've been going there for years & will continue too. :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

We appreciate your continuance in choosing our property as your choice of accommodations. It's great to hear that you see what the property was before and what it is now. We definitely appreciate your repeat business and hope to see you again in the near future. Your comments are duly noted and will do our best to improve the overall aspect of the property. Thank you
Encinitas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I had requested a non-smoking room. When I walked in there were ashtrays and the smell of smoke was overwhelming. I called the office and they came over and sprayed air freshener in the room. That did not resolve the problem.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

We do apologize for not being able to accommodate to your request. It sounds like there could have been a miscommunication with the reservation and a full capacity occupancy which prevented the staff to move you into a different room. We understand that the air freshener was a temporary resolution but did not solve the issue of you being in a smoking room. We will do our best to improve accuracy of reservations in the front desk department.

Travellers are raving about these Encinitas hotels

Chino, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

The room was very clean and looked/smelled like new carpet! The spa was a little murky, but the pool looked clean. There is an elevator that was very nice and convenient when bringing luggage upstairs. Right off the freeway and Starbucks is about 2 minutes away. A big shopping center a few miles down the road. The staff was friendly. Only bad thing was that the smoke alarm started chirping all night and we called 3 times the next day to get it fixed and they never came. We just took the battery out ourselves. They charge $10 for a rollaway bed. Beds aren't very comfy, kind of hard.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

All the carpets in all guest rooms have been completely replaced and completed as of May 2014. We are continuing to shampoo the carpet on a regular basis to ensure cleanliness. We do apologize about the smoke alarm going off and assistance was given, but glad to hear that you were able to resolve it by removing the battery. We will inform the maintenance department to ensure that this won't happen again. Management will be looking into upgrading the rollaway beds to provide additional comfort. Thank you for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Encinitas
Days Inn Encinitas- Moonlight Beach
BEST WESTERN Encinitas Inn & Suites at Moonlight Beach
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - ...
#2 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Rodeway Inn - Encinitas
Rodeway Inn - Encinitas
#8 of 9 in Encinitas
Portofino Beach Inn
Portofino Beach Inn
#9 of 9 in Encinitas
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Carlsbad

Been to Quality Inn Encinitas Near Legoland? Share your experiences!