“No Toilet Plunger Favours Here”

Rodeway Inn - Encinitas
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Encinitas
Reviewed 27 March 2013

What's it worth to you to avoid having to unplugged a toilet? Apparently not much if you work the front desk of this place.

The bog in my room got plugged so instead of whining about it, I went and asked for a plunger. Plumbing at my home is kinda crap (pun intended), so I'm pretty handy with one of those things. Plus, I didn't think the old Dutch gal at the front desk was gonna be a big help.

She was so truculent that she didn't even bother getting me the plunger....she told me where it was and told me to get it myself. Did not even seem interested in why I might need one...or whether sewage might be spewing into adjoining rooms.

Anyway, I fixed the problem, returned the plunger and kinda shrugged that she didn't give a crap (oops!) that I had spared her from dealing with a nasty problem.

So I go back later and ask if it's possible to print out three tickets to a local attraction that I bought online. And she gave me a flat-out "NO".

No...the toilet in my room will not "accidentally" get plugged again. But I will call her out on TripAdvisor. Any guest who unplugs his own bog at least deserves three pages from the printer....unless you stay here.

But honestly, the place is just fine if you can avoid her.

Room Tip: Flush the toilet before you unpack your bag.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Weej1967
There are newer reviews for Rodeway Inn - Encinitas

Reviewed 11 February 2013

The Ocean Inn changed it's name to a Rodeway Inn, part of Choice Hotels, at the beginning of 2013. Same place, I think it's a value but not a 4 star hotel. Just a good location, you can walk 3 long blocks to Grandview, and there are decent places to walk to. No pool so no kids, so the crowd tends to be older and quieter. Set your values low and this is a decent place!

Room Tip: Go west for less traffic/train noise. Not as bad as other hotels closer to the 5.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Vik G, Front Office Manager at Rodeway Inn - Encinitas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed one night before heading to Legoland with family the next day. It's only 15 minutes away. The room is clean and comfortable. The advertise free breakfast, but it's only a danish and coffee, but for free, it's okay. I definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 November 2012

They kept charging are credit card over and over and it took days to release the hold they had on our credit card. The room was horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!! We checked in and they had already charged us before they got there and then tried to charge us again on arrival. The room was dusty and filthy.The carpet was very discusting and the blankets were to. That was with out even sitting down.Sat down on hte bed and it felt and sounded like there was a board. Lifted up the matress and yes there was a board. the other bed when you sat down felt like you were almost laying on the floor. Hard to breath so dusty. Hair in the tub and all over the bathroom floor. Bathroom window would not shut wide open and had no screen lead to the alley where several people up all night working on there vehicle. Manager and assistant was sooooo rude. Horrible , if we werent exausted from our long drive we would of checked out and took our loses.We checked out bright and early never to return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Robinm1967
Reviewed 15 October 2012

It is what it is. Very basic. Clean room with fridge and microwave. Not dog friendly, even in the parking lot? Convenient spot on the 101 and right next to Fish 101 a must eat in SD county. Breakfast includes bread...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank rugbyjon

Reviewed 15 October 2012

We stayed for 2 nights with 2 children and another group of friends in an adjoining room. The rooms were clean. Beds and pillows not luxury but comfortable enough. Refrigerator and microwave in the room. Walking distance to the beach. The owner was fantastic and very helpful. Breakfast was nothing much, but there are great restaurants just down the street and a great little market. I will definitely stay here again. Great stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Vik G, General Manager at Rodeway Inn - Encinitas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Reviewed 13 October 2012

We stayed at the Ocean Inn for 2 weeks. After living in Encinitas, we knew the area well. It was our first time at the Ocean Inn and we'll definitely use it as our "go to" spot from now on. We walked to the beach easily. Fish 101 restaurant next door was great. Staff was super friendly and helpful. We highly recommend Ocean Inn.

Room Tip: Second floor corner was quiet
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Also consider these accommodations in or near Encinitas
Days Inn Encinitas- Moonlight Beach
Portofino Beach Inn - Encinitas
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Best Western Encinitas Inn & Suites At Moonlight Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea

Been to Rodeway Inn - Encinitas? Share your experiences!