“Ocean Inn blocks from oceam”

Rodeway Inn - Encinitas
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Encinitas
Reviewed 1 June 2008

Our room was clean once they finally found one that was actually available even after we had booked a room well in advance. Hope you like trains as you are next to the train track and they are quite loud. The beds are miserable. They are the hardest, most uncomfortable beds I have EVER experienced. I was not expecting much from this place as I have passed it many times but thought I would give it a try anyway. We checked out the next morning and would never, ever go back. The guests were pleasant as was the staff but it is truly one of the worst places I have ever stayed and I have stayed in some really lousy hotels/motels. This is not a hotel it is actually a motel which is fine but it isn't a very nice one. If you are in your teens or very early twenties and like to surf it is probably an ok place but for a family or older travelers this place is not a good one. You will leave with your back killing you if you get any sleep at all. Plus if you are expecting a view of the ocean you will be sadly disappointed as the motel is several blocks from the ocean, you would be advised to drive there rather than to walk unless you are in good shape as much of it is uphill and then several blocks either right or left to get to a beach access.

• Stayed: June 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank oldersurfergirl

Reviewed 24 October 2007

My 84 year old father was forced to evacuate his home Monday, October 22nd. I was able to book one of the last rooms in San Diego county at the Ocean Inn through Orbitz. I paid for three nights in advance. When he got the all clear to return home, he checked out at 3pm on Tuesday, October 23rd.

When I asked for a refund for two nights, the manager told me that it was after 12 noon and I would only get a refund for one night not two. I complained. These were extraordinary circumstances, c'mon! She told me housekeeping had gone home and there was nobody to clean the room. When I asked her if the room was going to be empty that night there was silence.

With half a million people displaced and not a room in the city to be had I hope the manager took fifteen minutes to change the sheets herself and gave the room to a weary family for free - or at least handed them a stack of clean sheets and towels to change themselves.

By the way, the Orbitz people gave me a $25 credit for the change fee. See, even the guys in India understand that a little good will goes a long, long way, especially under extraodinary circumstances.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank DarkBlonde
Reviewed 23 October 2007

We booked two rooms, each with two queen beds, one for the two of us and one for our friends and their daughter.
We stayed 5 nights and found the room clean, spacious, extremely sound-proof (we and our friends had adjoining rooms and could not hear a thing either way). We were able to store beverages and food in the room fridge provided, and we also appreciated the microwaves provided in each room and the iron and ironing board.
We found the desk staff (owners?) friendly and accommodating when our friends had to deal with a leak in the bathroom ceiling. They also indicated that they could be woken up, as they reside on site, if we needed earlier than 7:00 a.m. check-out.
We also found the location very convenient, close to S.D. and other areas we needed to commute to, and within a 10-15 minute leisure walk to the ocean - the ocean view was spectacular.
The rates were great for what we got.
The "Deluxe continental breakfast" was a disappointment however. I would suggest that management make it much truer to "deluxe" by adding fruit, muffins, bagels, cream cheese, cereal and milk. But we found scrumptious muffins and bears claws pastries just down the road at a donut shop. We then enjoyed these delectables with motel coffee out on the motel patio in comfortably cushioned patio chairs.
This would be our motel of choice if we holidayed in this area again.

R.K. of Alberta

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank FrancesGummAlberta
Reviewed 28 June 2007

We've tried close to a dozen hotels in the North San Diego county area and this is by far our favorite. It's not the Ritz, but the rooms are clean, comfortable, airy, and reasonably quiet. I consider the location excellent, in a safe, attractive and quiet neighborhood and 10 minute stroll to the beach.
The hotel is pleasant and reasonable in the off season. In the on-season, kids drape their beach towels and bathing suits over the balconies and you definitely know you're not in Kansas!
There's lots and lots of beaches in both directions which are surprisingly uncrowded even in the summer (at least on weekdays).
Management has always been friendly and accomodating in my experience. I've occasionally experienced nonfunctioning lights and slow drains, but no more than elsewhere. Neither the coffee or the breakfast is anything to write home about, but unless you make your own coffee in your room like we do there's a good chance the hotel coffee tastes like crap no matter where you're staying.
We have NOTHING to do with hotel management but we're surprised by some of the negative reviews as the Ocean Inn is truly a favorite spot of ours.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
5  Thank Wekenderz
Reviewed 12 June 2007

In their add, they write modern. What was modern? The hotel is an old hotel, near the beach. It is close to downtown and right off the freeway. The hotel was quite. The down side was the awful breakfast consisting of toast and bagged pastries. Also, the blanket on my bed had a cigarette burn in it.

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank fuzzy2
Reviewed 2 February 2007

Since our kids have never really had the opportunity to see the ocean, we figured we'd find someplace near the ocean to hang out on our way to Disneyland. We checked out A LOT of hotels/motels in this area. Since we didn't intend to spend much time in the motel room, we figured the Ocean Inn would work okay for us! The very first thing that we found to be misleading, if not disappointing, was their "private access" to the beach! What it should say is, "private access to the road directly above the motel"! It probably wouldn't hurt to put a sign at either end of the "private access" to let their tenants know how far it would be to reach a beach! This would really help families with smaller kids! As luck would have it, when we were there, the ice machine was broken! The clerk referred us to a store down the road! We just wanted a little ice for our drinks---one would think that management could buy the ice and provide small amounts to their tenants! Other than that, the room was okay. We didn't have a problem with the noise, but we make a point of bringing a "white noise" machine with us anytime that we stay in a motel. The only other thing worthy of commenting on is the beds! UGHHH! The mattresses were VERY hard. If you're not used to this, it's a back killer! We figure, as far as the Ocean Inn, been there, done that, don't need to do it again!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
4  Thank AZSoccerFamily
Reviewed 1 December 2006

Stayed 4 nights recently, but would not go back. Everything about the place exhudes "cheap". My foam pillow was in several pieces, our bathroom had no counter to put toiletries, the bedsheets didn't fit properly, the remote for the t.v. wouldn't turn off or adjust volume, and the a.c. sounded like a steel plant. The "deluxe" continental breakfast consisted of bad danishes and toast, with coffee with fake creamer, and Tang o.j. I would hate to experience the standard breakfast! We got a reasonably good rate based on our numbers, however, good value it was not. Better to spend a little more, and have a more enjoyable experience elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank 1soccerdad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Encinitas
Portofino Beach Inn - Encinitas
2 mi away
Days Inn Encinitas- Moonlight Beach
Best Western Encinitas Inn & Suites At Moonlight Beach
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - ...
#2 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar

Been to Rodeway Inn - Encinitas? Share your experiences!