“Hidden Gem in Encinitas”

Greek American Family Restaurant
Ranked #67 of 295 Restaurants in Encinitas
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Calgary
“Hidden Gem in Encinitas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Driving through Encinitas on N. El Camino Rd. we spotted the restaurant - loving Greek food we headed on in - it is a renovated, spotless restaurant - family owned for over twenty years. We ordered a horiatiki salad and 2 pastichios. We had no room for dessert but if are ever back in Carlsbad or Encinitas we will be back

• Visited July 2014

San Marcos, California
“A Blessing in Disguise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

A dear friend of mine and I meet up from time to time for some catch-up time over dinner. Thai and Greek are the two cuisines that we tend to frequent most. Usually, we end up at Daphne's just because it's quick, inexpensive, and predictable. This time, we were both coming from different directions, and a quick Google search happened upon this little gem that was equidistant for both of us. Our greeting was lovely. We were blessed to be seated in a tucked away little corner where we ended up staying and talking for 3 hours without ever feeling rushed. The food was truly wonderful. We each ordered a Gyro sandwich with homemade (baked) fries. The presentation was lovely. The pita was THE best I've ever tasted. The serving looked huge, but we managed to clean our plates. It was just that good. Yes, it did seem (looking back on it) that we waited a while for our food, but I just chalk that up to it being a family run restaurant and the food is being made fresh. Having said all that, if you are looking for quick and inexpensive Greek, this is NOT the place for you. But if you want a leisurely evening to visit with your company and enjoy wonderful food, this place is a little gem worth checking out. Don't let the looks of the exterior in a strip mall scare you. Give it a try. I will definitely be back!

• Visited February 2014
Carlsbad, California, United States
“Great Tasting Gyros, Small-ish Portions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stopped by with yesterday to try their lunch menu, most items on it were priced around $7.50. Since the lunch item I wanted was not yet made, I had the Gyros salad, which was was quite small but tasty, and my wife the Gyros sandwich, which was great. Since they had 4 different Greek beer options, we'll probably go back to give it another try.

• Visited September 2013
San Diego, California
“This place is awsome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

This is wonderful food. Order the dolmadikia - it is unbeliveable. I was used to getting those usual oily squashed up things...but their is "home-made" and meaty. We had the house salad which was a greek salad and the kalamarakia appetizer along with the humus and soup. We met the owner...she is a lovely woman. The server was friendly and the place has a hint of Greece. We will be back for the stuffed greenpeppers and gyros platter.

• Visited May 2013
Encinitas, California
“Overpriced and average food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

We have tried to like this place but after the 3rd visit I give up. The roast chicken was bland, grape leaves just fair, the soup (lemon chicken) was watery. Tiny portions of hummas and tzatziki come with the dinners. I called the order in and was told 25 minutes, it was 40 and this was a Tuesday night with no customers in the place! I see that others recommend the lamb which we did not have. For $70.00 there are so many great places to eat in Encinitas I won't waste my money again.

• Visited December 2012