“Dirty..dirty..dirty”

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Dirty..dirty..dirty”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We walked in at the front door of room 26 and a giant spider web covered the door handle... walked in the room with spider greetings... accompanied with a musky smell.. dated is one thing but cleanliness is another.. the carpet is stained and spider web on the ceiling corners. Went to check the bathroom and there was two spiders chilling in the tub and everywhere there's metal there's rust...on the counters and tile floors were black ants.. not a colony, but a village. We tried to clean it ourselves and I must apologize for killing the spiders and ants since we were invading their home, but after all that we didnt feel comfortable since it seems no one had stayed there for a long while.. I began to wonder if they even changed the bed sheets or if there are spiders waiting in bed for us or worse. When I set my room keys on the desk I noticed another set of keys for the room 27 there.. uugh oooh....as a matter of fact I recall while I was checking-in...one of the guest was complaining about another guest walking in their room just moments ago.. and the lady checking me in said, "I'm so sorry the key was placed in the wrong spot given to the guest who walked in your room...I apologize for the incident." That should have raised the flag, but I was giving them the benefit of a doubt...I've slept in worse places, but never had to pay for it with hard earned money.... and another note when it comes to my 5 y/o niece this is unacceptable...when she uses the rest room and screaming ants ants ants...and is afraid to go to sleep on the bed because she might get bit by the spiders she saw me kill...I didnt think we were going to make it through the night with any rest.. so we called the after hours number and informed them of our situation and the lady was apologetic. She offered us another room but I was already skeptical of the integrity of the entire facility. We left the resort about an hour or so after walking into the room..it would be nice to get a refund but I didnt care at that point... we couldn't get out of there fast enough...we ended getting another room in a different hotel and my niece asked..."Is this place going to be cleaner?"...

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Spider-Ant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

What a wonderful peaceful experience…. Lots of recent remodeling so ask for a suit that has already been remodeled. Loved the soaking Pools and the view of the Golf Coarse.
We were offered a Hot Air Balloon Flight and LOVED it !! The need day we went in their Limo Bus on a tour of Local Wineries… It was like being in Europe yet right here in San Diego..

Room Tip: choose a suit that has been remodeled and overlooks the Golf Coarse, OR take the 3 bedroom Villa on...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wisetraveler711
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Wow, cannot stress enough what a truly dirty and sad place this is. I could ramble on, but just take this as a warning - should be condemned. Pool was self service cleaning if you cared to pick up the net, "spa" flowing hot tubs were so dirty no one dared stick a toe in. They didn't have our room ready because it turned out, there was no cleaning service that day! WHAT?! Wore flip flops in shower. They also never came to let us know when our room was actually ready (8hours later). Then, my daughter came out of shower with just a towel on and a couple opened door to our room, just as shocked as we were at having been given same room. No apology from hotel. But the worst was the run down creepiness factor if this place. Seriously gross.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank bettinablue

Travellers are raving about these Escondido hotels

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I had a wonderful time at this quaint jewel tucked into Southern California wine country. My best friend is from San Diego, so we met in her home town and drove about 40 minutes to the Tuscany Hills Resort & Spa for a girls get away. We used a Groupon for two nights stay with a sunrise hot air balloon ride for a total cost of $469, and it was well worth the money! I bring these specifics up because we over heard the concierge on the phone saying it would be $209 for that night, and the place was practically empty! I wouldn’t pay $209 for a night, but I was happy to pay what we did. Our room was comfortable with a cute deck, and we loved eating at the golf course. The pool wasn’t elaborate, but was nice enough. If you want a quiet get away (mainly couples were there other than us) and see a good deal, I would definitely visit Tuscany Hills.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kaitlin E
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We checked in today. Billed as resort, but not much in amenities. cheap towels, room old, curtains appear old and stained. not sure about the carpets, not lush. noisy air conditioner in corner, turned off and listened to the 15 freeway. Jenna was friendly when we checked in, but clearly still learning. No food or drinks available unless one wants to walk down to the golf course. They have a sport bar. Dinner was good, but it's too dark to walk over there now.
The room was billed as a junior suite; It looks just like a regular room to us. small bathroom, a balcony. all rooms seem to have balcony, not sure what the inside difference is.

Room Tip: The rooms are all faced towards the 15 freeway, probable not much different. We stayed in 46, furth...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cheriesl
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Picked up 4 Groupon day spa passes discounted from $60/person to $29/person. They advertised that they had pool, 4 soaking tubs of different temperatures, sauna, meditation paths, fitness room and provided towels and robes.

I'm a local, so this place was only 20 minutes away from my home in Oceanside, I thought it'd be really convenient to try it out with my girlfriends for a joint birthday celebration.

GROUNDS
This place is tucked away in the foothills of the Escondido/Vista area. Beautiful farms, million dollar estates and lovely homesteads tucked away in the secluded drive along Gopher Canyon Road made for a really enchanting commute there. We get to the resort and were very pleased to see a beautiful golf course abutting the resort and that the grounds from this vantage were attractive. There was a riverbed water feature on the property which was really attractive, but unfortunately dry and looked nonoperational. The fitness room was tiny, with a few machines and there was sign indicating they had Yoga for $15 per person; personally, I think that Yoga should be included for the hotel guests.

RECEPTION
Entering the lobby, it had a ranchero style feel, high ceilings, lots of windows and a nice direct line of site to the pool area and a large statement fireplace in the center of the room. I could tell it was a little run down, some of the fixtures looked dated, and the upgrades that they did do, looked fairly amateur. The reception desk is off to the left and the girl manning the front desk was pleasant enough. We were approached by a what I assume is an event manager informing us that there is a Journey tribute band playing that night, tickets are normally $25/person but she'd get us 4 for $20. We passed on that and proceeded to get 2 worn down towels per person, which looked clean but had definitely seen better days. Also, if we wanted to use shampoo/conditioner, we'd have to ask the reception desk girl for them instead if them being in the locker area, which brings me to...

POOL/SAUNA/SOAKING TUBS
The locker room was a tiny little space, It was pretty cramped, with two changing rooms and showers and a sauna that looked like it could use some servicing, the cedar looked old an probably needed to be replaced The changing rooms could use some new linens and the general area could use some touch ups in paint, furniture and fixtures. It looked pretty clean in there, seemed to be maintained that way, so that was good. Also had an ice water dispenser with Dixie cups. The lockers themselves were outside and while the sprinklers were on they rained right on the lockers, so it made it difficult and concerning to put our things in an area that was constantly wet. The pool was large and clean, there was a cabana set up for shaded seating and other lounge furniture was set-up around the pool. The soaking tubs were a short walk away and were surrounded by large tall bushes which definitely provided an element of privacy, although, we could not discern any noticeable temperature differences between the pools. The soaking pool area could have used some additional shade, we arrived at 10:30am and it was sweltering by noon. My friend felt a little light headed, so we retreated to the cabana and hung out. I tried to purchase some soda for her, and the soda machine was non-operational. Went inside to the receptionist, and she explained, "yeah, we have to call the Pepsi guy to fix it." Ummmmm, so does that mean you haven't called the Pepsi guy yet? So she gave me a bottled water, which was complimentary, however the can of Coke that she pulled out of the fridge she "had to charge me for." I guess Coke is scarce in this part of the country.

CONCLUSION
Overall, our day spa experience was OK. I'm a bit of a spa snob, so to bill this place at the normal rate of $60/person seems pretty exorbitant, as that is what La Costa charges for their day spa pass and the luxury that exudes from that place is worth that rate. However at the Groupon rate of $29/person, I felt like that was a fair price for having pool access that wasn't crowded at all in a beautiful, peaceful setting where it was located. I didn't stay in the rooms, so I can't speak to that, but from the exterior, the rooms did look dated, and peeking into the housekeeping cleaning bin for the linens, it looked like they were as dated as our pool towels. I understand they just changed ownership, so perhaps the new owner is getting their feet under them, but some simple upgrades to this place; linens, fixtures, paint and simple amenities like a beverage bar or even a cafe/bistro on site would go far in making this place a destination location where they could charge $250 a night for a room. In the current state that the property and amenities are in, I definitely wouldn't pay full price. Keep your eye out for Groupons/Living Social deals though, it was a nice little locals getaway in North County San Diego at those discounted rates.

Room Tip: Check out the area, rural north county San Diego is such a neat place.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank amclaw1
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Purchased one night here at a "discount" ($143!) after a ballon ride with Sunrise Balloons in Temecula, CA. I have never been here so expected a RESORT feeling and a NICE room for the amount of money I paid. From the moment I walked into the office, it was down hill. There were 3 ladies working the desk, one was training the other two. They were completely confused about which room to put us in. I had reserved one room with two double beds 3 weeks earlier. It was even confirmed by a phone call from them four days before check in! They said they were "sold out" and only had a King bed left now! After more confusion about finding another room with doubles and then coming back to saying my original room was in fact doubles, I was finally checked in!

Needless to say, we walked in to find a King bed! The carpet was FILTHY!!! There was an inch of dust on the tables and on the phone! They had a microwave sitting ON TOP of a refrigerator and an OLD school TV. The paint was horribly dirty with only one picture hanging on the wall and others with just the hook sticking out! The bathroom was worse than a really cheap Motel 6. We actually felt this room was one of the "pet rooms". The toilet ran until YOU jiggled the handle.

We complained to management and were only told that "they were trying hard and that a new owner just bought the place and was trying to fix it up". They promised us Champagne for our troubles but "ran out" and brought us a bottle of red wine instead. The ice bucket had no liner and had mold under the lid! They gave us a trash bag to use instead!

We didn't turn on the plug in air conditioner but instead left the balcony door open. We were forced to listen to "young adults" scream and holler at the pool until 4 am! Not sure about sold out either! Didn't appear to be anyone on either side of us.

We would have asked for our money back but the closest place to stay was Welks and they were sold out for the night!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank dartagnan1963
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
Best Western Escondido Hotel
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Escondido Downtown
Temecula Creek Inn
Temecula Creek Inn
#5 of 19 in Temecula

Been to Tuscany Hills Resort? Share your experiences!